Anyone done Natchez Trace lately?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

davemittan

We're thinking of doing part of 'the Trace' in the first half of May.  Starting at the top end near Nashville, and going down to Jackson, MS.  Does anyone have any favorite campgrounds along the way?  Private would be fine - having wi-fi would be a plus.

Thanks!

The Trace is a relaxing, if sometimes boring, drive.  We've done it both directions, the last time about a year ago.  There are, I believe, just 2 campgrounds on the Trace itself, both no hookups.  We stayed at the Natchez Trace RV Park, Tupelo, MS, last year.  I don't recall if they had WiFi or not, as it was satellite friendly.  It's about a 1/4 mile off of the Trace, just south of Tupelo.

Thanks Ned -

I was looking at the route in TL's Campground Navigator - it looked like there were CGs both east and west of the parkway, but few right on it.  That's okay - I might have to go looking for ULSD or a Wal-Mart.  We're not operating under any timetable or schedule.

There are other private campgrounds just off the Trace.  We just haven't used them other than the one in Tupelo.  For us, the Trace is a 2 day drive, so only have one night on the Trace.  There is no commercial businesses on the Trace, other than one gas station about half way down.  Also, no commercial trucks at all.  That, and the 50mph speed limit makes it a very leisurely drive.  You'll enjoy it, but if you get bored, there's lots of places to get off :)

One other thing, if you use DeLorme Street Atlas, it doesn't have the far south end of the Trace mapped correctly since it was changed.  I sent a GPS log file to them last year of the actual road so hopefully it will show up in a future update.

Yep, I'll report back.  It's one of those trips we've had on the list for a few years, then it always gets delayed until "next year".

It was a long winter, and Slick has been de-winterized - we've got the itch to go, even if it isn't to the most exciting place.  Gotta get some miles in.

Ned, I had thought about getting off near Jackson.  Would you say the south end to Natchez, MS is worth seeing?  BTW, we're using S&T (2009).

Most of the Trace is much the same, so by getting off at Jackson you won't miss much, unless you want to do some sightseeing in Natchez itself.  We stayed at the River View RV Park And Resort, Vidalia, LA, when in Natchez.  Right on the river with easy access to Natchez.

We enjoyed our stay there.  You can read my review there from May 2008 (the longer one is mine).  We gave it 9/10.

Donna and I just (Palm Sunday) took in the Spring Pilgrimage in Natchez and stayed at the State Park about 10 miles north of Natchez, and about a half mile off the Trace.  Then we took the toad up to Vicksburg.  We dawdled, stopped at most of the scenic/historic sites, and that 150 mile round trip too all day.  As for the site, it is up on a hill, no wifi or cell for that matter, but quite a decent site.  As for driving the Trace itself, it's mostly trees which would get very boring if you were just driving the rig straight down.

I found it very relaxing to drive the Trace and since I do all the driving the Trace was a plus for me.

Thanks to all for the feedback!

We might cross the Mississippi River to see Vidalia and that park.  Google showed a nice view of both bridges (attached pic) - they look nice and wide.

Attachments

• VidaliaNatchez.jpg
    VidaliaNatchez.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 19
No problem taking an RV across the bridge.  That's where we started our north bound trip on the Trace.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom