Mountain Roads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
W

Weewun

We are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon, Las Vegas, Zion, Yellowstone and Mt. Rushmore.  Did the Rushmore, Zion and Grand Canyon last year and am anxious to see them again as well as the others.

Since I am afraid (deathly) of Heights and Edges I want to have some idea of the Roads before I get on them.  I didn't encounter any problems last year with the exception of the trip up to Kanb, UT from Williams, AZ.  By problems I mean Edges which made for a very tense and tiring drive.

All of the above leads to this request:  In a post not to long ago someone provided a 'Link' to site that had books describing the driving conditions of the roads in the mountains.  I believe there was a book for the Western Mountains and one for the Eastern.

I was interrupted shortly after going out to the Site and can not remember how to get back to it.  I have tried searching the Forum without success.  I will write it down this time. Thks. 

What route did you take from Williams to Kanab? I'm thinking of Hwy 89 and can't think of any scary parts. Maybe some of us here could direct you on appropriate routes if we know what roads bothered you?

Wendy
Cortez CO

I did take 89 from Williams to Kanab and the part that bothered me most was the elevation south of the Lake.  It was a long way down (edge) without much between the MH and the edge of the cliff. 

I know that most of these roads are a piece of cake for most people but Edges with long dropoffs scare me to death.  I am hoping that the Moutains Roads may give a descriptioon of the road,  If you know better publication, i.e. Roads for Sissies, I will appreciate your input.

You might give Ron's Google Earth suggestion a try. It has a lot of "street views" that might help. Or let folks here know where you're going and someone might be able to suggest a route without dropoffs.

Wendy

Between Bryce Canyon and Capitol Reef NP is the town of Escalante on hywy 12. A few miles NE is a hogback that you will want to avoid! Steep cliffs on BOTH sides for 3-4 miles of narrow twisty roads. I loke that place.

Weewun:

I don't think any of the written resources are going to be of much help.  The Mountain books will tell you how steep the routes are.  The truck atlas will give you roads a large rig can maneuver safely on, but yesterday we took those truck roads and still had a lot of "edges".

The best advice of the kind you are looking for is from this wonderful forum and its people.

Just post what routes you are considering and a ton of experienced drivers will respond with their memories and experience.  Just make sure you let them know the conditions that concern you (like edges) so they won't assume you are at ease with those conditions.

Smoky

Thks, for all your input and I will post the anticipated route by the weekend.

I know the routes from here to Mt. Rushmore and from Williams, AZ to here but am concerned about Williams, AZ to Las Vegas, to YellowStone to Mt. Rushmore.

Thks for your help.

We do Williams to Las Vegas a lot. There are some ups & downs but I can't think of any places that have "edges" or drop offs along I-40 and Hwy 93 other than around the dam. You might want to take the long way around through Laughlin rather than the dam....or close your eyes for that stretch of road.

Wendy
Cortez CO

Sorry about the delay in getting back and it is WeeWun doing the driving.

We are currently in Albuquerkie on our way to Holbrook and Williams AZ, been a great trip (lots of driving).  We will stay acouple of days in Holbrook to see the Petrified Forest and then to Williams for the Grand Canyoh.

All the above is a preamble to my first request.  From Williams we will be going to Las Vegas and it looks like Rte 93 at Kingman is the shortest route.  Knowing my problem with 'edges/heights' is this going to be a problem and if so is ther an alternate (better) route.

I will appreciatee your candid responses.

Kingman to Vegas you'll wind down to and pass over Hoover Dam. There are a few edges there as you wind down to the dam and then up. And of course, there's the dam itself. But it shouldn't be too bad. You can take the truck route through Laughlin but if I recall correctly, there are more edges and drop offs on that road than the dam and adds considerable miles.

If you can stand on the edge and look into Grand Canyon, you should be ok driving from Kingman to Vegas.

Wendy

weewun said:
Sorry about the delay in getting back and it is WeeWun doing the driving.

We are currently in Albuquerkie on our way to Holbrook and Williams AZ, been a great trip (lots of driving).  We will stay acouple of days in Holbrook to see the Petrified Forest and then to Williams for the Grand Canyoh.

All the above is a preamble to my first request.  From Williams we will be going to Las Vegas and it looks like Rte 93 at Kingman is the shortest route.  Knowing my problem with 'edges/heights' is this going to be a problem and if so is ther an alternate (better) route.

I will appreciatee your candid responses.

I don't know if you are towing a trailer or in a motorhome, but if you are towing then you can't go over the dam, you will have to go around it. I doubt any of the roads you are planning on taking will scare you, there are no drop offs that I know of.  I am in the Grand Canyon and it has been raining most afternoons, but the weather is generally very nice.

I used to have the same problem with narrow roads. Specially construction zones where they stick the cones right up to the fog/center line.

The way I got around it was realizing that if a semi tractor trailer can make it, so can I.

Another way around it is wait for a semi to pass by and follow them at a distance.  If they can make it, so can you.  If this helps, great.  If not, there was no charge for this tip. ;p)

Mike

I am in a MH and pulling a TOAD, does this rule out the Dam.

How many lanes are on the Dam and is the MH very close to the 'edge'???

Unless they changed the rules recently, you can go over the dam towing a trailer or 5th wheel or U-haul or a toad behind your motorhome. Check here for dam info. The road down to, over and up from the dam is 2-lane (1 each direction). I've been over it a hundred times but don't remember if there are "edges" or not. Of course, it is switchbacks down and up and if you're driving, you'll be concentrating on that and won't be looking over at the edge.

Wendy

When we crossed the Hoover last month the traffic down to the dam was traveling at 10-15 MPH so it is an easy drive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom