Mountain Roads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
weewun said:
I am in a MH and pulling a TOAD, does this rule out the Dam.

How many lanes are on the Dam and is the MH very close to the 'edge'???

The signs say "No buses, trucks, or trailers " so I think the answer is no, but you should call and check. There is two lanes over the dam and it is very wide and would not scare you in the least.

Marlene gets very uneasy when I drive on roads with sharp drop offs. Have never heard a peep during any of our trips over the dam. The only issues you will have are a security inspection before you get to the dam and possibly heavy, slow traffic. The inspections have generally been less than a couple of minutes and I've heard traffic is a lot lighter now. There are no restrictions on your travel towing a dinghy.

Came across the dam on May 18th in a 38' MH pulling a toad. There is no restriction.

You have to stop at the security check point. They looked in each of the outside bays and sent me on my way. Took me longer to get out and back in the MH than it took them to look in the bays.

The dam itself has two lanes but there are wide sidewalks on each side so you don't feel the edges as much.  The main problem is with the crowds of people - best to avoid hitting tourists!  ;)  Most of the switchbacks are on the NV side and you'll be going slow anyway.  Speed limit is about 20 mph or thereabouts as the road winds through a canyon.  If you want to see the dam - and you should - stop at one of the overlooks on the AZ side because you won't be able to go into the parking structure at the dam.  The overlooks are big and shouldn't be a problem parking unless you hit a big weekend crowd.

ArdraF

Thks for the input.  I am considering taking I-40 south from Kingman and taking Rte 93 up to Las Vegas. 

Will appreciate your comments on Rte 93 fron I-40 to Las Vegas.

Adds about 70 miles. Hwy 95 is an easy, somewhat dull road. But I really don't think you'd have a problem with the road over the dam.

Wendy

In my previous note I said Rte 93 and meant Rte 95.  I would pickup Rte 95 at Exit 133 of I-40 in California.

US 95 is a perfectly good road if a little on the boring side.  They've done a lot of widening so you don't get hung up as much with slow traffic as previously.  No edges that I can recall.  ;)

By the way, US 95 is on the west side of the Colorado River and goes up through a corner of California to Las Vegas.  AZ 95 is on the east side of the Colorado River.  It's a scenic route and pretty, but slower.

ArdraF

weewun said:
In my previous note I said Rte 93 and meant Rte 95.  I would pickup Rte 95 at Exit 133 of I-40 in California.

If you really don't want to take Rte 93 to Las Vegas across the dam then I would get off I-40 at Kingman and go north on 93 about two miles and take Rte 68 west to Laughlin where it turns into Rte 163 over to Rte 95 then north to Las Vegas.

You're adding a lot of miles by staying on I-40 all the way to Rte 95.

I really don't think you would have any problems going across the dam. Its real good road and when you're around the dam area the speed limit is only about 15 or 20 MPH.

Tokk your advice and took Rte 93 across the Dam.  Traffic was slow but I haad no problems, would like to have had a place to pull-off and see more of the Dam.

We are in Las Vegas and will be heading toward Yellowstone.  Knowing my fear of edges  will appreciate your advice as to the best Route.  It looks like I will have to drive thru Yellostone to get to the East side to continue on to Mt. Rushmore and am wondering how the roads are in the Park and the best way East from there.

You have helped immensely thus far so plz keep up the good input.

The roads in Yellowstone are basic two lanes but entirely adequate. And your phobia for edges shouldn't be a concern. Don't expect to make good time, though. Between other visitors and the native wildlife, travel though the park is Slow. But you are supposed to be enjoying the views, right?

See, we told you you'd be ok on the dam ! Curious what your take on the "inspection" was.

If you're still in Vegas, and you have a toad, you could take a half-day trip out to the dam and see it. It's a fun trip and they do an interesting tour. Me, I hate enclosed places, especially elevators, and HATE the dam elevators.

Enjoy
Wendy

[quote author=Wendy]...I hate enclosed places, especially elevators, and HATE the dam elevators.[/quote]

Wendy,

The last couple of times I visited the dam, the old (mid-dam) elevators were no longer in service, and have been replaced by a couple of escalators to a new visitor area on one end of the dam.

The escalators from the parking garage to the VC didn't bother me. It was the elevators that took you down to the bottom of the dam where you could walk out almost at river-level and look up at the dam that I didn't like. They crammed visitors in "cheek to jowl" (or "cheek" to something else :) ) and I hated it. Of course, the view back up the river-side of the dam was pretty neat. Maybe they're not taking you all the way down anymore?

Wendy

Wendy,

IIRC they take you all the way down if you opt for the 'big tour'.

I thought they discontinued the deep tour after 9/11?  Has it been restarted?

We haven't been there for a few years. I guess that Wendy doesn't have to worry about the elevators  ;D

Tom said:
We haven't been there for a few years. I guess that Wendy doesn't have to worry about the elevators  ;D

Kind of a bummer that you can't do the deep tour because it was really pretty neat once you got off that fricking elevator !!

Me, I wouldn't have to worry because I wouldn't get back in that elevator for love nor money.

wendy

We've taken visitors on the deep tour (old elevators) on several occasions.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back
Top Bottom