Possible short circuit and fire hazard alert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rankjo

Hi there, this is an Adventurer 37G.  2001

I was crawling about under the front of the rig, fixing a drip from an oil connection on the HWH jack resevoir.

And happened to notice that two of the large red wires on the jack pump, the same size as 12 volt battery terminal wires, were rubbing on a bodywork bracket.  The insulation was almost worn through.

These are red wires, hot/live all the time, and I think this is a fire hazard, since they are not fused (as I understand it).

Anyway, I'm off today to get new wires and re-rout them.  I tried to loosen and bend them, but they are short (no pun intended) and stiff with age (like myself).  I'll get longer wires which will be more bendable, since new.

I thought I should mention it.

Rankjo

No hot lead should be without a fuse or circuit breaker.  There's either a fuse somewhere or possibly a self resetting CB in the line.  But it still could cause a fire if it shorted out.

When I had my 2003 WB Adventurer 35U, I found behind the bottom drawer under the stove top (had to remove the drawer) a wire harness resting on top of some studs that held down a component (can't remember what it was).  The studs extended up about an inch beyond the nut and had started rubbing away the insulation on several wires.  I repaired the damage and rerouted the wire harness slightly and to top it off, just to be sure, put a sponge over the studs so if by some chance the harness ever shifted, it would not contact the studs.

When I bought my Journey in 2007, one of the first things I did was remove all the bottom drawers in the galley and inspect the wire harness runs.  Found no issues.  :)

Best Regards!

One thing I really like on the Meridian, and probably a lot of other Winne products is that all of the wiring is in Slit-Wrap. And what very little I have found that wasn't, is now for the reason you stated.

re Slit Wrap, the lead that was the worst was in Slit Wrap, but only in the area that had no issues.

Where the actual problem was, there was no slitwrap.

I repaired it today.  The input/positive line was simple to rerout.  It originally went to the lower terminal
on the pump and had a 'jump' to the upper terminal.
I made the input go to the upper terminal where it was in no danger.  Then I put a new jumpwire to
the lower terminal.  It looks good to me.

Rankjo

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Savysoaker
Back
Top Bottom