Water pump keeps running.....possible reasons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbsteven

Just bought the RV (31 foot C class Chateau).  Used it for 2.5 days and I am fairly sure during the time the pump only came on when it needed to. 

Dumped the black and gray tanks and now when I turn the pump on it continues to "pump".  Black tank drained a good amount out but still shows as 2/3 full (this is what it showed before I dumped).  All water flows as it has been so it seems nothing is clogged on the fresh water.

Any ideas on if the two are connected or is this 2 seperate issues?  Ideas on why the pump is running?

If you have a bypass valve on your fresh water fill try moving it to the other position.

Im assuming you physicaly checked water in the tank and not just relying on  the monitor right? If so then check the intake from the tank to the pump. Follow the line all the way to tank if you can. Check all fittings.Your sucking air somewhere. Like others have stated check the valves and make sure they are turned in the proper positon. Valve handles turned to the right close the valve and handles turned to left open the valves. If valves are positioned properly then your fittings are either cross threaded or broke. There shouldnt be very many. If the fittings are all good then there is an issue with the pump diaphram. remove pump so you can by pass the tank then hook up a hose to the pump and put the end in a bucket of water turn the pump on. If  it pumps then you have problem in the supply line from the tank to the pump. If it dont pump then its the pump.

For your sake I sincerely hope these are two separate problems.

Make sure, as others have said, that you have not left a valve in the wrong position.

Next make sure that you have water in the fresh water tank.  The pump will run forever if the tank is empty.

As for the black tank, it's not unusual for the sensors to give false readings.  If it bothers you, check the library on tank cleaning and maintenance.

The pump can have a points problem. What the book says to do is. on the brass side of the pump take something to tap on the head of the pump. the points can corrode together and the tapping should separate them.
I would check for leaks or valve first

and the winner is..........

JIGGS

little tap on the brass side and it stops.  It will still stay on after using the water until I tap it again.

Now, what is a permanent fix for this? 

It's the pressure switch not opening.  Probably requires a replacement.

Lou (onaquest) said:
It's the pressure switch not opening.  Probably requires a replacement.

is the pressure switch seperate from the pump?  I'll end up having PPL repair it but just curious if the pump needs to be replaced or the pressure switch.

They all come as a unit as far as I know.  I replaced mine in about twenty minutes.

and the winner is..........JIGGS little tap on the brass side and it stops.  It will still stay on after using the water until I tap it again.  Thank you just send money

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom