DHS Surround sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mortgagehomes

I have a 2004 adventurer with the DHS suround sound system and I have already replaced the dash Magnedyne radio and am contemplating changing out the speakers. Does anyone know exactly where the DHS SS amplifier is located?

I have a 2003 Itasca Horizon and the DHS amplifier is under the angle foot rest under the drivers left foot. Remove a couple of screws to get at it.

There is a manual of some kind located at http://www.riverparkinc.com/techpdf/mobile_theatre_express_vans_troubleshooting.pdf. This was all that I have found.

I am looking for a replacement that has Dolby 5.1 with a digital or infrared input, but I haven't had any luck so far.

I have a 2005 33V and the "surround" sound processor is under the co-pilot pull-up desk. Just remove the screws for the entire pull-up desk and it should be mounted vertically just below the hole where the desk was mounted. The processor used by Winnebago is only "psuedo-5.1", they attempt to simulate the actual Dolby decoding, from what I've heard. Mine fails on a regular basis whenever it gets warm. I haven't found a good replacement either.

-- Gene Rondenet

Anyone know where it is on an '04 Journey 36G?  I have been searching and have not yet found it.  Nor have I found a Winnebago resource that tells me where to look.

Thanks for any help!

Mr_Bill said:
Anyone know where it is on an '04 Journey 36G?  I have been searching and have not yet found it.  Nor have I found a Winnebago resource that tells me where to look.

Thanks for any help!

Hi Bill,
          I am not sure about this but it appears that it might be up behind the TV. Take a look at :

http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/2004/04_wire_144832.pdf    in particular the 5th page shows a combined TV-Stereo amp up in the overhead. 
Perhaps someone with more knowledge can confirm this?

Good Luck.

Mr_Bill said:

Hi there Mr Bill and welcome to rvforum!  It's a pleasure to have you join us.  Sorry, but I don't have an answer to your question; hopefully Indy helped.

I found mine under the computer tray on the passenger side. Take out the drawer and tray and I believe you will find it screwed to a vertical wall underneath.

One owner found his under the transmission controls on the drivers side panel last week.  Winni really likes to hide this  thing.  I guess they are not too proud of it ??? ::)

Lou - mine is in the basement compartment under the drivers position mounted on a wall.  Unfortunately, it's not 5.1 surround sound - it takes L/R audio and does a little magic in the box and then drives several speakers.  It's on my list of things to replace  :)

Mr Bill
Hi, I also have an 04 Journey 36G and am having a go around with the surround sound system. Please see the thread that I started on "PC's, Comms and Electronics" under the heading "New TV and Surround Sound System".
If after reading all that, you still have questions, let me know.

(John, if you feel that thread should be here go ahead since it does appear to be Winnie specific)

TomC

Thanks TomC,

I'll go looking behind the panel beside the driver.  I too will probably install a separate Amp.

Bill

Ok after a day and some internet searching I found the DHS amp in my 2000 Winnebago adventurer. It's located on the passages side kick panel on the left. it's hooked up using the high level inputs and it's no way a 5.1 Dolby system. If you replace your radio with anything over 10 watts it will burnout. The sub's are the 6x9 that you see in the cabin and the satellites are not that good either. My advice is by-pass the amp completely and replace the speakers with better one's.
Most new car stereos have 50 watts x4 per channel and (sub out (which you need a small 12volt amp for with low level input)). Some of these radio also have a rca's in the back for a aux input that you can run your TV through. Wiring direct to speakers is not hard, just disconnect the amp output plug from the amp in the dash board you can wire----up the Sat speakers separately the 6x9's are on a separate plug and usually have a plug with 2 each green and purple wires. Use a small 25 watt amp to power these speakers.
This will work fine for 6x9 but you will need a splitter for the input (mono to stereo)...http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Amplifier-Boat-stereo-Home-Hifi-Mini-AMP-SUB-Usb-FM-MP3-AUX-200W-12V-/350871678922?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item51b194efca

Welcome. The volume is changed from the TV or the radio - there's a switch on the dash to select one or the other. Check out my Horizon projects - link in my signature. The Vectra and Horizon are basically sisters. Also look at the Winnebago Resources thread at the top of this board - lots of good info there.

I see the switch on the dash but it only changes if the radio comes through the speakers or the tv. Do I have to have some remote to control the volume ?

As John said, the DHS surround is a fixed amp system.  It requires the source (TV etc) to change the volume.  There is no remote or other control for it.

If you have the surround switched on, as you turn the volume dial on the radio, the sound level should change.  Same with the TV... using the remote on the TV to change the volume should change the sound through the DTS system.

If the radio changes fine but the TV does not, then it's likely your TV was switched out at some point.  A common mistake in replacing the TV is to just hook up the surround to the TV's audio out connections.  Most flatscreens today have a "fixed" audio out because they assume you are connecting to a surround system that has its own volume control.  This is not the case in the DTS system.  There are various ways to get around this...  checking the TV to see if you can change the audio out from "fixed" to "variable" it the TV's setup menu, using the TV's headphone jack instead of the audio out (requires an adaptor cable) or actually soldering the DTS wires directly to the TV speakers (requires opening up the back of the TV.)  There are many threads on this.

So if your radio volume works to change the DTS but your TV doesn't, the problem is with the TV connection.  If neither works, then something else is going on.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom