Ill Omen or Just a Bad Start to this Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WilleyB

Well guess I may as well continue with getting ready for a trip. Had new brake pads all around, the transmission serviced last fall and on the chassis side of getting ready all that should of had to be done this year was change the oil and filter, check the torque on the spark plugs and tire pressures. Well it didn't turn out that way at all.  :'(

DW was having a difficult time getting aboard with the step. Almost a foot from the threshold to the top step, of course the bottom step was close to the ground so I modified the steps to fold and slide directly under the floor. The top step to the threshold would be maximum of 7 1/2 inches leaving the bottom step about the same. This step system would have to be mounted directly to the floor base.

I had to cut two access hatches in the kitchen floor and that's when I found it. soaking wet dry rot.  Well I ordered the Epoxy system kit with intentions of just giving the area a coat. However after reading the instructions  and learning that the wood should be dry etc. I cut out as much of the floor as I could. The base seems to be pretty much intact, its well over 2 inches thick but was wet and slimy so I started the drying process. The final portion of drying consists of a fan from an old microwave oven blowing air across the rotted area.

Next problem showed up when I used the RV to get new plywood for the floor. I noticed the wheel was pulling to the left and when I put the brarkes on  there is a violent pull to the right. Sort of indicates to me that the left caliper will have to be replaced. I'll have that done at the Kenworth dealer while the epoxy treatment is drying.

I've cut new floor beams (joists whatever) out of 10 year old hemlock, I doubt if that will ever rot especially after epoxy treatment. Depending on the time it takes to do the rest I may be able to replace the side panel too, but if not it will definitely be replaced next year.
The place where the water came in I had found that last year and had plugged it with expanding foam, but then again who knows how long it was wet in there. After drying very little of the wood has to be cut out except for the side panel which would be ok after epoxy but I'd feel better if it was replaced. 
Not what I call a great start for the season but if that's all of the problems I'll have, I can live with that.
(1) picture of modified step held in place with a jack
(2) Although the base is stained, it's just a little bit of the edge that has rot but the side wall is toast in my opinion
(3) Much the same as previous, shows the holes where the steps will be bolted through,

Any tips will be appreciated, as I've not done anything like this before. Securing everything into one strong unit will not be a problem for me.
Cheers
Willis

Attachments

• 100-0014_IMG.JPG
    100-0014_IMG.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Dry Rot-2.JPG
    Dry Rot-2.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 72
  • Dry Rot.JPG
    Dry Rot.JPG
    56.6 KB · Views: 64