Mystery Tool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RetiredLE

Greetings to all Winnie owners.  We found this tool in our recently purchased 2003 Brave and are at a loss to figure out what it's for or what it does.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• Mystery Tool Pic One.jpg
    Mystery Tool Pic One.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 180
  • Mystery Tool Pic Two.jpg
    Mystery Tool Pic Two.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 112
  • Mystery Tool Pic Three.jpg
    Mystery Tool Pic Three.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Mystery Tool Pic Four.jpg
    Mystery Tool Pic Four.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 71
It's hard to tell the scale without a ruler next to it, but it looks like it could be some sort of holding rod for a slide out room.  So how big is it?

Sarge

Come to think of it, I do believe Ron nailed it!  I buddy has a RoadMaster tow bar and I know he uses some sort of gizmo when he unhooks.  I got a BlueOx, so I have no need for one.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. You guys are good!

It's about 20 1/2 inches long. The coach did come with a Falcon 2 tow bar - which we will use to tow our Jeep (after paying over $800 to have brackets and a cross bar installed).

I still don't get how you use it....

Slide the 3/4 square slot over the square part of the tow bar with the handle over the release pushbutton to push the button down. The only time you will need it is if you are really in a binding position. I never use mine, I always pull the pins first when disconnecting. If the pins won't pull, I have the wife rock the car back and forth. After the pins are pulled, the pushbutton is always easy to operate. Enjoy your new Winnie.

The bar is for pressing down the tow bar lock buttons, which can be hard to do if there is pressure on the tow bar, e.g. the car is on a slope. Slip the U-shaped piece around the round part of the tow bar arm and slide it up to the square section, with the lever arm on top and angled upward, until the arm is over the release button. Then push down on the arm so that it presses the button down.

Here is a link to  the owners manual for the Falcon 5250 tow bar so you cn download it.

http://www.roadmasterinc.com/pdf/85-1336.pdf

Instruction provided here are right on and it works well.  But $800 for a base plate installed seems a bit high but I might be mistaken.  We tow a Jeep GC and had to get a new Baseplate when we got the last one since something had changed that the old one wouldn't fit.  I don't recall it being $800 though.

YEP -- If that release button is tight USE the bar.  Don't try to WHAM it down with the heel of your hand.  No need to ask why.  K

Ok it makes sense now.  I downloaded the manual and saved a copy for my files... just in case.

Breakdown on price:

Brackets were 429 for the set

Cross bar was 125

Wiring harness with diodes was 125

Labor to install was 100

Tax was 63.88

Total 842.88

I checked with two RV service centers and was quoted over a thousand bucks for the same job/parts. The shop I took it to specializes in towbars and hitches. It still pays to shop. 

Attachments

• Falcon 2 assist bar.JPG
    Falcon 2 assist bar.JPG
    6.2 KB · Views: 53
Why was the cross bar required?  We never had one on any of the Grand Cherokee/s.  I did my own wiring but the diodes cost me $35. I had Smitty's Welding in Houston do the install since I did not have all the neccessary tools with us.

Ron said:
Why was the cross bar required?

Here is a pic of the cross bar.  It attaches to the brackets and the tow bar in turn attaches to it.

Attachments

• Falcon 2 cross bar.jpg
    Falcon 2 cross bar.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 49
John Canfield said:
How about that - it's pretty expensive to set up a vehicle to tow four-down!

You are not kidding.  Had we not had the tow bar, it would have been a few more bucks on top of what we have spent this far.

Plus, on top of that, we are technically supposed to have one of those brake buddies installed at well.  I think those go for around a grand don't they?

RetiredLE said:
Plus, on top of that, we are technically supposed to have one of those brake buddies installed at well.  I think those go for around a grand don't they?

Forgot what I paid for my SMI Silent Partner (permanently installed), but it is well worth the cost for braking peace of mind not to mention you are legal in those states where they have auxiliary braking regulations.  Woe be unto you if you get into an accident and you are not legally equipped.

We have the what I believe they call the MX series hidden brakets that has just the brakets that attach to the frame and the two inserts that fit into those brakets whcih the tow bar attaches to.  Have attached photo of what we have on the GC.  The MX series brackets are shown HERE.

We have used a Brake Buddy on four different toads towing over 120K miles and never had a problem.  Works very well for us and it meets all legal requirements as does most other Aux brake systems.

Attachments

• Hitch attchments GC.JPG
    Hitch attchments GC.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 40
I prefer the "Ready Brake" surge system from a company named "Night Shift Auto". Super easy, super inexpensive, super goof proof. Here is the link.  It's worth a look to compare systems. 

Sarge

Back
Top Bottom