Pic resizing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smoky

Can someone explain to me how to upload a picture / thumbnail?  Things have changed a bit since i last uploaded one.  Also I recall there are some sort of size or amount restrictions.

Smokey, I don't think the procedure for uploading a picture has change for quite a while.  Here is how I do it.

Hit reply on the thread
At the bottom of the box for your text, you will see "Additional Options"  Click that.
It will expand the screen and you will see "attach:"
You will also see "browse".  Click browse to find the photo you want to upload from your computer files.
Click the photo you want and it will be attached to your message.
If you want to post more than one photo, click (more attachment) which is next to "browse"
Then click "post" and your message will be attached to the thread along with your photo(s).

PLEASE Note: You need to reduce the size of the photo.  What I do is change my original picture to "email" quality which reduces the size of the photo.  That seems to be the easiest for me.  Try it and see if it works for you.

I've attached a photo of some Fushias in Bodega Bay just to make sure I remembered how to upload a photo correctly..... ;D

Marsha~

Attachments

• BodegaBay2.JPG
    BodegaBay2.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 30
BernieD said:
Ned

I downloaded that from your last recommendation for the software. Much better than the VSO resizer. Thanks

I also downloaded the application and appreciate the suggestion.  Maybe this part of the thread should be inserted into the PC message board.  I didn't do it when I first red Ned's comment and that's where I went to find it before I rememberd it was in the Destinations boardd.

Since this issue comes up quite a bit, I went ahead and added links to the two image resizers to the procedure for Attaching photos to a forum message. This and other tips for navigating the forum can be found by clicking the Resources button in the toolbar above.

This is what is so special about this forum.  Ask a question and dozens of experts jump in with very useful answers!

Thank you RV Forum!  ;D

Ned said:
Here's a clone of the Windows Image Resizer Powertoy for Vista.

This is the same exact tool as was in XP, and I am so glad it has finally arrived for Vista.  I used VSO until this came.  VSO is still very simple with a few extra perks, but this is by far the easiest tool to use for a quick resize when posting to a board like this.

Well you can have your little resizers  ::) but when I want to work with pictures, and I do this almost every day, I use XNView and have used it for many years. It is firstly free. It is available on my Linux laptop as well as my XP desktop (though the Linux version urgently needs an update).

It is really simple to use yet has some great tools to help you get the best out of your pictures. For starters, before I resize a picture, I will nearly always crop it to get rid of extra stuff that doesn't contribute to the picture and then resize it. This usually brings the subject of my photo more into view without as many distractions. The tools to do this in XNView are very simple and straightforward.

You don't need to go back to school to learn to use it - it isn't anywhere near a Photoshop ;)

It also is easy to run off a USB drive if you want to have a tool that you can use anywhere on just about any computer.

Download it from XNView: http://www.xnview.com or http://www.xnview.org

XnView is a utility for viewing and converting graphic files.
It has the features :
  • Import about 400 graphic file formats
  • Export about 50 graphic file formats
  • Multipage TIFF, Animated GIF, Animated ICO support
  • Image IPTC, EXIF metadata support
  • EXIF auto rotation support
  • IPTC editing
  • Resize, rotate, crop support
  • Lossless rotate & crop (jpeg) support
  • Adjust brightness, contrast...
  • Auto levels, contrast
  • Modify number of colors
  • Apply filters (blur, average, emboss, ...)
  • Apply effects (lens, wave, ...)
  • Fullscreen mode
  • Slide show with effects
  • Batch convert, batch rename
  • Create WEB page easily
  • Screen capture
  • Create contact Sheet
  • Create or edit Multi-page file (TIFF, DCX, LDF)
  • TWAIN & WIA support (Windows only)
  • Print support (Windows only)
  • Drag & Drop support (Windows only)
  • Compare image side by side
  • Filmstrip layout
  • 44 languages support (Windows only)
  • And many many other things...
  • No Adware, No Spyware
XnView is provided as FREEWARE for private non-commercial or educational use (including non-profit organization)

One of the things I do with my picture files is to place them into a folder that I never touch. To work with the pictures I copy them to another folder and make sure that the image number given by the camera is always retained in the filename so I can always go back to the original and start over if needed.

Like this. Each picture title includes the date and time taken in this format - YYMMDD.HHMM - so you can track when I took the pictures and which country I was in at the time.

eg. 081117-1458-au-8483
Taken on:  17th November 2008
Taken at:    2:58 pm
Taken in:    Australia
Original ID: 8483 ( All ID numbers match back to the original images which have been stored unaltered)

I use XNView in Batch mode. I select all the pics I am working on. I change the filename to whatever the EXIF value for the Date Taken (EXIF values are stored by the camera and cover things like Date Taken, Camera Speed, Focal Settings, Date Modified etc.)

Now if I change the size of the pic from the original I iwll tage that to the end of the filename like this... 081213-1028-jp-9242-w800.jpg

So that tells me that  it was taken at 10:28 AM on 13th December 2008 in Japan. The original camera-allocated number was dscf9242.  The picture has been adjusted to a width of 800pixels. The simple code to tell you the size is h=height, w=width and x=square. or you could put the both dimensions down... 800x600. I usually only put the one if the proportion is standard, eg 800x600. Wallpaper for my wideview 22" Benq monitor requires 1920x1080 so I usually show that kind of data in the filename.

Hope this helped somebody.

Every image taken with a digital camera has a lot of information stored with the image.  Date, time, exposure, size, even the camera model.  You can set up the folder view detail columns to show many, if not all, of those tags for your photos and even sort on the columns.  Any good photo organizer will also let you organize your views using those tags, and also allow you to search on them.  To see all of the tags, right click on an image file, select Properties and select the Details tab.

Ian, XNView sounds very similar to IrfanView, another free image manipulating program.  I'll have to take a look at it.

I always name my photos something like "Herring gull flying". Most all that other information is available in the meta tags or Windows explorer. I find it much easier to locate a photo with a descriptive name.

Ian said:
Well you can have your little resizers  ::) but when I want to work with pictures, and I do this almost every day, I use XNView and have used it for many years. It is firstly free. It is available on my Linux laptop as well as my XP desktop (though the Linux version urgently needs an update).

It is really simple to use yet has some great tools to help you get the best out of your pictures. For starters, before I resize a picture, I will nearly always crop it to get rid of extra stuff that doesn't contribute to the picture and then resize it. This usually brings the subject of my photo more into view without as many distractions. The tools to do this in XNView are very simple and straightforward.

You don't need to go back to school to learn to use it - it isn't anywhere near a Photoshop ;)

It also is easy to run off a USB drive if you want to have a tool that you can use anywhere on just about any computer.

And that looks like a great program...in fact, one I intend to check out as well.  But the good thing with Image Resizer is, it does one thing, and it does it very well.  Right click on the picture, pick the size, and hit okay.  Your picture is resized.  Makes it quick and easy for quick posting to a website.  When more manipulation of a photo is needed, that's where there's a slew of other apps for that. 
Download it from XNView: http://www.xnview.com or http://www.xnview.org

XnView is a utility for viewing and converting graphic files.
It has the features :
  • Import about 400 graphic file formats
  • Export about 50 graphic file formats
  • Multipage TIFF, Animated GIF, Animated ICO support
  • Image IPTC, EXIF metadata support
  • EXIF auto rotation support
  • IPTC editing
  • Resize, rotate, crop support
  • Lossless rotate & crop (jpeg) support
  • Adjust brightness, contrast...
  • Auto levels, contrast
  • Modify number of colors
  • Apply filters (blur, average, emboss, ...)
  • Apply effects (lens, wave, ...)
  • Fullscreen mode
  • Slide show with effects
  • Batch convert, batch rename
  • Create WEB page easily
  • Screen capture
  • Create contact Sheet
  • Create or edit Multi-page file (TIFF, DCX, LDF)
  • TWAIN & WIA support (Windows only)
  • Print support (Windows only)
  • Drag & Drop support (Windows only)
  • Compare image side by side
  • Filmstrip layout
  • 44 languages support (Windows only)
  • And many many other things...
  • No Adware, No Spyware
XnView is provided as FREEWARE for private non-commercial or educational use (including non-profit organization)

Well, the difference between the two programs here is, Image Resizer does one thing and one thing only.  And it does it very well and very easy.  Right click on your picture, pick the size you want to resize to, and hit okay.  Picture resized.  When you need a quick resize, this is by far the easiest tool to use.  When more manipulation is needed, then we go for the slew of other apps.  This XNView looks like a great one, and one I intend to check out.  It sounds very simple and does most of what anyone needs beyond a simple resize.

@seilerbird: Yes, a descriptive style is always good, just about anything is better than dsfc1234 LOL  What iw as adding to the mix is that before you might run through and describe your pics, a Batch Rename can use info that is already attached to the pic and thus provide you with a ready reference to the date and time when the picture was taken. That can then be put into the Don't Touch folder, the image copied into the Work folder, then manipulated and titled into something probably more descriptive. Just my way of doing things, nothing that anybody is expected to follow ;)

@Ned: Yes, XNView is similar to IrfanView. Both are free, both are very simple to use and both can do a surprising amount of manipulation to your pictures such that you probably won't need to bigger programs to handle much of what you might want to do. I have used IrfanView a number of times but always gone back to XNView for one reason or another. I also run PhotoImpact 10 as the tool I use when I want to do more. Still not photoshop nor The Gimp but then it didn't take me too long to learn how to use the tools it has. I have learnt Photoshop when in University. Hated it. Too complex. Hitting an acorn with a sledge hammer. just my POV, YMMD

@edjunior: I quite agree. If all you want to do is change the size of the image then an Image Resizer is a simple tool fior the job and I am a firm believer in using the right tool for the job. My problem is that very few pictures couldn't be better with a little judicious cropping or slight adjustment here and here. That's why I nearly always will crop something of my pictures, to enhance them, to also show the topic of the photo in much bigger and clearer focus.
Please take a look at IrfanView and XNView, they both have differences yet both have  lot of similarities, not just that they are simple to use and free to own.

I addition to Tom's suggestions, a Google search on image resizer windows 7 will turn up quite a few.  Which ones will work for you depend on whether you have 32 or 64 bit Windows 7.

Back
Top Bottom