Considering a canine friend - problem, issues on the road?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John Canfield

Site Team
Jane and I have successfully traveled with two adult cats for 40,000+ road miles and we just lost our oldest cat this week.  We've been thinking about a doggie for a couple of years and before we make a huge leap from extremely low-maintenance cat(s) to a dog, I want to understand what we are getting into.

I read through the thread about what do you do with your pet when you leave the RV, but what I would like to know is how easy (or difficult) is it manage the dog's requirements in a relatively confined space.  I'm thinking about those cold/hot/rainy days/nights when your dog needs to go outside for walkies, pet friendly-unfriendly RV parks, management of grooming, spending two days at a repair facility with nothing but a paved parking lot, etc. 

Do you feel like with a pet that needs to be regularly walked that's ultimately beneficial for the owners regarding getting out of the RV, meeting others and getting some exercise yourself in the process?

I am particularly looking at Collies who are about 50 pounds and seem to have a good temperament.  At what size does a dog become a bunch more work, if any? 

Any other caveats or advice?

One of the reasons we got "back into" RVing after being out of it for several years, was to take along "Buddy"....our little Maltese we bought when we moved to Colorado 6 years ago. 

I can't imagine not taking him with us, as he loves our vacations as much as we do.  He loves to be walked outside and explore, and feels as comfortable in our motorhome as we do.  We look forward to him going with us in our several weeks of travel this Summer.

We live high up in the mountains and needed a dog that would live INSIDE our (stick) home 24/7.  He doesn't go outside hardly ever as we have pottie trained him to "go" on puppy pads, and we live in a house where he won't go up and down the stairs, and when we do let him out in the Summer, we have to keep an eye on him because there are alot of foxes, bear, deer and hawks up here that would love to have him as a snack.  Buddy has NEVER "miss aimed" on  the puppy pads, and is a perfect inside 24/7 dog.

Also...we wanted a breed that WOULD NOT SHED....Maltese have hair that is genetically the same/similar to human hair, and we have yet to find one single strand of hair in our carpet or clothes.

So.......yes, John...dogs are really man's best friend, and we get LOTS of comments from other campers when we take him for a walk in our travels.

Sorry about the loss of your cat, John.

We keep our dogs crated when we're rolling, and when we're away from the rig.  We have two 20-pound dogs and one 30 pounder.

Collies require a lot of grooming, and would leave long dog hair all over the place.  I'd recommend a shorthaired breed.

Keep in mind some dogs are "barfers" - I've seen some that will let loose within the first couple of blocks.  Dramamine does NOT work in a lot of cases.  You can get a puppy that gets carsick - it may or may not grow out of it.

Many parks are dog friendly, if you don't have a breed with a bad reputation, you keep your dog leashed, and you pick up your dog's droppings.

Yeah, they need to be walked.  For us, it just a necessary part of RVing.

We're on our third Lab. All 3 have traveled with us in the motorhome. All 3 have loved traveling. We have loved having them with us. When we lost our chocolate, we went over all the reasons NOT to have a dog. The reasons to have one far exceeded the reasons not to have one.

Some of the problems:

Biggest problem: It can be a royal PITA when they need to go out and it's raining but with a couple of big microfiber towels, you can both get dry and clean after the walk. They can get used to going out and doing their business quickly when it's raining. But there are days when I think a fish would be a good pet. You can usually watch and listen for a break in the rain and take the beast out then.

Doggy needs out in the middle of the night: This has rarely happened with any of our labs. The good news for me is that I'm legally blind so when it's dark, Mike gets stuck taking the dog out. The good news is that he's up late, usually past midnight, so he walks the dog just before he goes to bed and I walk him about 8 am after I get up. We usually tie a short rope to the motorhome and we can always hook him up to that in the middle of the night if he needs out.

Campgrounds that don't allow dog or only allow certain sizes: We've always been able to find campgrounds that welcome our hairy kids. Many now have dog runs.

Finding a vet in a strange town: With our internet capability, I always find a nearby vet when we get parked and set up. I didn't used to do this but we lost our chocolate lab while in Death Valley to illness and it was NOT fun finding a vet while the dog was sick. And recently, Gordon developed epilepsy and when he had the first seizure while we were boondocking at Lake Mead, an hour from the nearest vet, that also was not fun. But I guess you'd have the same problem with cats.

Dogs get bored. Good news is that they sleep 18-20 hours a day so there's not a lot of time when they're bored and you need to entertain them.

The biggest negative to being owned by a dog - they only stay with you 10-14 years and then they go the Rainbow Bridge and leave you alone.....until you get another one because you can't stand crying and not having hairy kid who loves you no what.

You might try petfinder.com in your search. Lots of wonderful, needy dogs there. And if you adopt an adult, you'll pretty much know what you're getting as far as riding in a vehicle, barking, etc.

Wendy
Rainy Cortez where the Lab is bored, bored, bored but not wet (hasn't been outside for 2 hours)

Interesting topic, John.
Yes, we lost our companion just a week ago. It was 12 years ago when we were given the most beautiful dog in the World. (at least to us). He was 2 years old at the time and a neighbor gave him to us because he had to leave the area.

Panda, a Shitzu, looked like a Panda and  took to us immediately. He became an instant member of our small family. He loved to walk, travel in the RV, and exercise his dominance in the household. There was no way we could train him to do anything; so we followed his orders for the next 12 years.

In his last 2 years he grew totally deaf, developed heart problems and had severe eye problems. He never became totally blind, but was getting close to it. Apparently a condition that afflicts this breed. We spent multi dollars over the years to keep him stabilized. (Thousands).

One day he could barely walk, went to the backdoor for his morning outing. At the door he laid down, issued a low whine and then went quiet. I was right there at the time and could not help him. It was instantaneous, and I was relieved because I don't think what I could have done if he were to be in pain. Mother Nature at work.

Panda has traveled with us  for 12 years from Canada to Mexico to almost 40 States in the US. I think he has enjoyed every minute. Panda, RIP.

Every dog owner must face the same problem sooner or later. We are still mourning.

Thanks for letting me vent. Picture below..

carson FL

Attachments

• Panda 05.jpg
    Panda 05.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 48
Carson, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your hairy kid. This is the worst thing about having a dog (or cat).....they leave for the Rainbow Bridge before we do. But I bet Panda is there, at the Rainbow Bridge, young and healthy and playing and having a wonderful time and waiting for you.

Wendy

Wendy said:
The biggest negative to being owned by a dog - they only stay with you 10-14 years and then they go the Rainbow Bridge and leave you alone.....until you get another one because you can't stand crying and not having hairy kid who loves you no what.

And the same for a loving cat - ours was almost like a dog - he loved being around us and usually slept between us at night.  We have had cats that think of you as not much more than a free hotel and meal ticket - it's not a major deal to see them disappear.

I put a nice picture of my Bosun and me on our blog.

Edit:  Sorry Carson about the loss of your little friend.  It is a painful thing to experience.

Thank You, Wendy.

I have the Rainbow Bridge story. I will send it tomorrow on this post. It is by ...Author Unknown.., so I think it will be ok to re-publish it.  It made me cry.

Look for it tomorrow.

carson FL

Gordon told me to add -

Always carry poop bags in your pocket and pick up each and every deposit made no matter where it lands.

Sometimes you'll be driving down the road and I'll really, really, really, REALLY need to go so you'll have to find a place to pull over and park that great big RV so I can get out and do my business. I don't care that it's a 2-lane road and you're driving a 40-foot motorhome towing a Suburban ....... when I need you to pull over, you better pull over !!

I was raised with a Collie as a child and there simply isn't a sweeter breed of dogs around. But I would never live with one in a motorhome. One word: Hair. They shed like crazy and they need to be brushed a lot.

I'm thinking about those cold/hot/rainy days/nights when your dog needs to go outside for walkies, pet friendly-unfriendly RV parks, management of grooming, spending two days at a repair facility with nothing but a paved parking lot, etc.  

Yep, unless they are trained to go inside, they go outside, and you have to walk them. Not a problem, really. For me, I need to go outside now and then, just to get some fresh air. If it's too hot or too cold, the dog is smarter than you are. They go quickly, and efficiently. They know which job(s) need done, and get with it! On a hot concrete or asphalt surface, I try to keep their exposure to a minimum. They go close to the door, in the shade, and I get them back inside. We do have booties, if we need them, but seldom use them. A dog takes no room - well, except in the bed. In bed, they take all the room! Sometimes, I just go sleep on the couch.  :mad:

Do you feel like with a pet that needs to be regularly walked that's ultimately beneficial for the owners regarding getting out of the RV, meeting others and getting some exercise yourself in the process?

Yes.  ;D

At what size does a dog become a bunch more work, if any?

I will get an argument, here!  ::)
Somewhere below 30 lbs, more or less. Bigger dog is less work, and takes up no more room, really. Does most of his stuff, himself. Doesn't need carried - in fact, you can't really do that. Quieter. More self confident. Easier to train. Provides side benefit, security.

We have a large and a small dog. Boxer, Jasper, at 65 lbs, well trained, service dog. MinPin, Hoover, at 5 lbs, 16 yrs old and forgot his training, retired service animal. Neither of them shed. Close to no dog hair on furniture, etc.

We wouldn't go without a dog. Any dog we have will be carefully and fully trained.  ;D

Ray D  ;D

OK, I'll correct myself. In reality, dogs do not need training. Dog owners need training. Contrary to what might be thought, dogs do dog stuff. They are, actually, born knowing how to be a dog. They are natural at that! It's amazing!  ::) Owners need  training so they know what dogs do, and how to get them to do the right dog stuff, at the right time. Piece O' Cake, if the owner is trainable.  ;D :D

Hi John, sorry for your loss. They may be called pets but in fact become adopted children. Your being used to cats a smaller dog may be more to your liking, I do believe they're a lower maintenance than a larger dog. Less exercise required, smaller loads to pick up after than the larger breeds. As far as protection goes, I've seen grown men back off from our miniature poodle (she could be pretty nasty) The teeth would go into action like greased lightening after one warning and she didn't much care who she'd bite including me.

I read through the thread about what do you do with your pet when you leave the RV, but what I would like to know is how easy (or difficult) is it manage the dog's requirements in a relatively confined space.  I'm thinking about those cold/hot/rainy days/nights when your dog needs to go outside for walkies, pet friendly-unfriendly RV parks, management of grooming, spending two days at a repair facility with nothing but a paved parking lot, etc.

Well as for space I guess our little rig is as small as they come. The dog we have now was only 7 months old on her only trip so far. It should be interesting this time as she's much bigger and probably 100 or so pounds. Long haired to boot. My previous experience was traveling with a shepherd husky mix about 76 pounds. Yes they shed but not really that much, we never considered it a problem.
Sleeping arrangements were: dog had the kitchen area we had the dinette/ couch area, it worked fine. When we go shopping or leave for other reasons, we leave the pooch in the RV. ensuring she'll be cool, comfortable  and have water to drink. Other than that she has the run of the rig.
I just walk the dog in the evening when we're stopped for the night. I haven't seen a dog as of yet that didn't like to chase a ball (for this I also leave the leash on them, easier to catch if necessary) If you don't feel like walking the dog will still get exercise. Stopping for meals or visiting I have those corkscrew stakes with a 20 steel cable on it. (keeps them out of the way and out of trouble)
On a rainy day, best have a rain coat or rain suit. They still have to go out to do business, however when finished you can take them back in or walk in the rain your choice. (the smell of wet dog is something you wont  notice after while.)  see photo ;D

I am particularly looking at Collies who are about 50 pounds and seem to have a good temperament.
John, compared to ours you have a very big rig. I can't see a 50 lb dog being a problem. It doesn't take them all that long to learn the rules. Our shepherd which we got from a shelter had been abandoned as a pup in the woods, (either that or we adopted a young coyote). She had a fear of being in a car so until we got the RV she stayed home. She didn't like it but since it was with us and we weren't close to home she tolerated it. The new dog will cry and howl if I take the RV out of the yard without her. I can go out in the car without he putting up a fuss, but not the RV.
At what size does a dog become a bunch more work, if any?
This one I had some trouble with as I've never considered looking after their needs as work. (maybe it's just me) The love that's returned outweighs anything I do for them. Before we got the shepherd the doctor prescribed some pills for high blood pressure, and a bottle of something to spray under the tongue (I forget what for). My daughter told me the pills would kill me so I got rid of them. We got the dog, and I walked with her and the BP stays close to normal, but in the high normal range. I enjoy the walks, it's much better than those exercise machines and it must be 15 years since I threw those pills away. 
I like the female dogs because they're less aggressive but much more protective of the pack (pack=family) than a male.
I do go on! don't I?  ;D
Cheers
Willis

Attachments

• Rainny Day.JPG
    Rainny Day.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 32
Taking care of a pet is almost the same no matter if you are in a stick house or a RV. There is one difference is in an RV you cannot have a fenced in backyard for the animal to run.

You still have to get out an walk the dog morning, noon, and night. In rain, sleet, hail and snow.... After a while you have a greater appreciation for mailmen. THEY ARE A BABE MAGNET, YOU WILL MEET ALL THE OLDER CHICKS WHEREVER YOU GO!!

I am not sure size really matters. In another life I was a breeder of German Shepherds. There were times when we would have several in the house and they seemed to always curl up and just become part of the scenery. Now, they also didn't stay in the house 24/7 because they had their own kennels. I have also seen folks RV'ing with as many as 5 dogs in their RV.

I did meet  folks a couple years ago that had 4 dogs; but they also had built in kennels in their $2 million Newell......

If you do get a puppy I agree with a previous poster.........do not go for a long haired breed. You will be vacuuming dog hair for 15 years or more.

I recognize your recent loss and fully understand the agony. Quite possibly you now have a void to fill.

We lost our dog 2 years ago and although I miss her a lot , I am not sure I want to get another as long as we are RV'ing.

My 2 cents worth would be to wait awhile longer, really think through the care it takes . I only know of one breed of dog that never barks, (Besenji). But they do not make good pets , as they are extremely loyal to their master and become unfriendly, and aloof around others. Unless you always take your dog with you, you will never know for sure it doesn't bark while you are away.

But if you really want a neat dog...................get a Corgie.. Welsh (no tail) or Pembroke(tail). They have the heart of a  German Shepherd, they are easily trained after the owner is trained, great companions, great with little people and very loyal.

Good luck  with whatever you decide..

tallyo said:
THEY ARE A BABE MAGNET, YOU WILL MEET ALL THE OLDER CHICKS WHEREVER YOU GO!!

Oh my goodness!  One babe (Jane) is plenty  :D

But if you really want a neat dog...................get a Corgie.. Welsh (no tail) or Pembroke(tail). They have the heart of a  German Shepherd, they are easily trained after the owner is trained, great companions, great with little people and very loyal.

Isn't that interesting - my brother-in-law has two Corgies (and they travel occasionally in his Dutchstar) and I have been around them quite a bit.  They are neat dogs and fun dogs - they just seem to be a little out of proportion with their little legs.  I realize they were bred to herd and not get whacked by critters kicking.  My BIL did a lot of homework and settled on the Corgie.

My sincere thanks to everybody who responded - I carefully read every word and I thank you for your collective wisdom!

Hi John,

This is a hard decision and one Tim and I had gone over and over, but we kept coming back to the fact that even though there is some inconvenience, we wanted a dog.  We have 2 cats that are "love-bugs"; but there is something about a dog.

After living with 4 small long haired dachshunds for close to 20 years when the last one died, we gave up dogs for several years.  Then we kept having this "empty" feeling.  I did tons of research (I'm a researcher  :D) and after all I found out, we elected to get a standard poodle.  I grew up with the most loveable Collie who was just like Lassie, but hair was EVERYWHERE.  We couldn't get rid of it.  So one of my needs was a dog that didn't shed.  I also wanted a large dog because little dogs seem to need to go potty more often, bigger dogs can hold it longer.  We also hike, so I wanted a dog that could keep up and wouldn't appear as "bait" on the trails.  So we ended up with 75 lb Charlie, a black standard poodle.

Yes, he has to be walked in the rain and snow; but one thing that happens is that we walk a lot more.  We get out more, we do more. I've taught him the command "Get busy" for potty.  So he goes on command, which is really nice when the weather is bad.  We also meet lots of people, in campgrounds and on the trails.  A standard poodle is somewhat unusual so he draws a lot of attention.  Like someone else said, a ball is a good thing.  Charlie loves his!  We also leave a 20 foot leash on him while he's playing ball because he loves people and other dogs and somehow all his training goes out the window when he sees either one.  He's only 1 1/2, so his puppy brain takes over.  But it's great exercise for him if we can't get to a place to let him off leash for a few laps of running and exercise.

There are several things I would suggest if you decide to do this, and  puppy hood will make your pull your hair; but they do grow up.  One is to go through a couple of dog training 6-week sessions.  You could also take the dog through CGC (Certified Good Citizen) training.  Some insurance companies offer a discount if you have the certificate.  It also prepares the dog and you to interact in public.  They become well mannered and a joy to take places.  Also, get your dog socialized....a lot.  Go to dog parks, take him into Home Depot, walk around strip malls, any where to get the dog into the pubic, used to different sights and sounds and used to other dogs.  I would recommend crate training, not only because it's a great way to potty train a dog; but when you leave you can be sure the puppy and your coach are safe....  I would also suggest good quality food.  Better food results in less #2s if you get my drift.  Cheaper food has more #2s.

Oh, thought of one more thing.  As soon as you can teach the dog either to stay or "wait", do it.  We taught Charlie not to go through any outside door until we said "OK"  I didn't want to open the coach door and have him bolt out in a busy car traffic area.  So now he won't go in or out unless we tell him too.  It's a great safety tool.

Probably more than you wanted to know.  Keep us posted!

Marsha~

Our last two pets (cat and dog) have been gone now for nine years. We still love dogs and enjoy playing with them and then sending them home with all you dog lovers.

The freedom we have enjoyed without worrying about them has been almost more than when our last child headed to college. We can always park the m/h, jump in the car or on a plane without planning for pet care.

We loved them all but aren't ready for more. ;D

We don't have pets, but Marsha's comment about insurance triggered something of interest to all you dog owners.  Our last home insurance bill stated that they will NOT cover certain breeds of dogs.  Furthermore they asked how many dogs we own and their breeds and stated that if we do not claim an owned dog they will not cover it.  Just thought you should be aware of this because your own insurance might be affected.

ArdraF

John Canfield said:
I am particularly looking at Collies who are about 50 pounds and seem to have a good temperament.  At what size does a dog become a bunch more work, if any? 
Any other caveats or advice?

I have heard from owners that Golden Retrievers are usually  happy without a lot of room to run around, but I never owned one myself.  But any doggy that has more energy than you do can be a lot of work regardless of size!

Puppies are often very destructive and can tear your RV part when you're away (no matter how many doggy toys you leave them) , so you might NOT want a puppy. And don't think you can train them in time to not be destructive! I know people who had no seat belts left at all when they came back just a few hours later.

-Don-​

Marsha/CA said:
Probably more than you wanted to know.  Keep us posted!

Marsha - no way!  Like you, I'm a researcher and I'll spend days, weeks, or in some cases months investigating a particular topic.

The consensus seems to be Collies are a wonderful breed except for shedding, and that might be too much for us.

Thanks everybody for another batch of wonderful insight and comments.  And Jeff, staying with just one cat is also an option that's on the table!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom