Considering a canine friend - problem, issues on the road?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay - we're going to drrriffft back on topic now  ;)

Dixie - oh wow - you are reinforcing what I gleaned from some Internet research about Collies.  I think a Collie would make a wonderful companion (oh how I love their looks).  But...

We made the two hour drive this morning to visit the Corgi breeder who had the six-year old retired female (notice I didn't say bitch) show dog, Sassy, and we had a blast meeting her, playing with her, and lovin' on her.  She knows basic commands, is crate trained, did the good doggie training thing, herding instinct test, etc, etc.  Sassy literally has better documentation and medical records than I have  ::)  It was love.

The breeder (Jamie) was going over all of the stuff we would need for basic environmental needs, grooming, etc. (this must be as much stuff as a human baby requires) and when she saw my eyes glaze over, she said, "why don't I get this for you - I'm going to a dog show next weekend..."  Deal!

Sassy needs to have a tooth pulled on the May 13th, plans are to pick her up on the 16th.

Oh - Corgis will eat anything at any time, so we need to keep her away from the cat's food and litter box (yuk!)

Attachments

• SassyGlamorShot.jpg
    SassyGlamorShot.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 34
Sounds like you found a good friend John.  I have a couple Corgi friends that remmember me very well between visits.  They seem to take very good care of Ron & Shirley.

She's beautiful, John - thanks for the update and the pic!

It's good that she's crate trained - that will help you when you're on the road.

Congratulations!

Congratulations guys on that pretty lady. I know she'll give you countless hours of joy. Come to Quartzsite and she can practice herding Gordon (yellow lab), Charlie (standard poodle) and Jake (st bernard). My Mom's Aussie would love to help her.

Wendy

Enjoy your new pooch John.  Remember lots of walks.  We recommend corn starch doggie bags.  Always carry 3.  ;D

Wendy - can't wait to see her reaction when she notices the sheep on part of the property!

Carl - Sassy will get plenty of walkies - we need them also!

John, Corgi's stole my husbands heart from his childhood.  They are a great dog but to small for me, believe me I've tried to downsize but just can't resist the hugs and love from my Collie.  Good luck with your new addition, my husband envies you for getting a Corgi.  Someday he may get one.

Congratulations John....she is a real cutie!

One thought you might like to try.  Charlie (standard poodle) loved "tootsie roll treats" (cat poop) out of the litter box.  So, we bought a litter box with a lid, and he still helped himself to some treats.  Then I got this ingenious idea and turned the litter box so that the opening was facing the wall just enough that the cats could still get in, but Charlie couldn't stick his nose in.  It worked great!.

He has probably outgrown the love of tootsie rolls; but I still keep the box turned toward the wall.  You should have seen the cats faces when I created that new set up!

Have fun!!!

Marsha~

Congratulations on the Corgi! Here's wishing you many happy miles and smiles.

For future readers -- let me put in a vote for the Shetland Sheepdog (sheltie). They look like a small collie (13"-16", about 25 lbs.) but they're a distinct  breed. We are just starting RVing so I can't comment on that part, but my two Shelties have been the sweetest, smartest little dogs! I had a collie in a previous life and the Shelties are like Collies in many respects. Mine haven't been restless herders like a border collie might be.

Again, best wishes to you and teh Corgi!

John

In another life I used to go to Herding Trials with my German Shepherds. There is a rush like no other when your dog circles around and takes control of  3 sheep or more. My dogs had never seen a sheep nor had their parents, that I knew of. It was like a 100 years of herding instincts clicked on with a light switch.

I know you will enjoy the Corgie.....be careful they maybe smarter than us ::)

Marsha/CA said:
.. I got this ingenious idea and turned the litter box so that the opening was facing the wall just enough that the cats could still get in, but Charlie couldn't stick his nose in.  It worked great!.

Marsha - amazingly that thought crossed my mind.  The breeder suggested a low baby-gate to cordon off the litter box, so the gate might be plan "A", and plan "B" might be to try orienting the litter box to where only little Trekkie (little - how about 15 pounds) can access the opening.

Shelties - oh yeah!  If the same deal (adult, crate trained, etc) with a Sheltie (or Collie) would have fallen in our laps like the Corgi, we would have one of them.  I love their looks (and think their personality would be most excellent) and maybe some day, we'll have one.

Herding - when I have managed to catch a sheep-herding trial TV program (the ones I watched were held in the UK), I am absolutely and completely mesmerized at the beauty, grace, cooperation demonstrated between the handler and the dog.  I was watching RFD-TV last night and saw a cutter horse working cattle - absolutely amazing and a beautiful thing to watch  ;D

Mark - thanks  :)  It's a little scary going from low maintenance cats (now cat) to a higher maintenance doggy friend.  But - it will work out great.

All the best John, Sassy is a beauty and I just know she will settle in and be a part of the Framily before very long. Enjoy your new life together.

Thinking about the new life you will be starting with Sassy, and the old life you, and I, and many others have had with their dear fur friends and then seen them pass from us, reminded me of some of the great collection of stories I have in a folder aptly named Philosophy Corner. I did a search for "dog" and this heart breaker came up.  I share this in the hope that it will in some way help us accept the inevitable.

And no, I have no idea where it comes from, my collection goes back to the mid-90s ;)

Why Animals Have A Short Life
Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old
Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife,
Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to
Belker and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the
family there were no miracles left for Belker, and offered to
perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.
As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it
would be good for the four-year-old Shane to observe the
procedure. They felt Shane could learn something from the
experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's
family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog
for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was
going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.
The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any
difficulty or confusion.

We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud
about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human
lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know
why." Startled, we all turned to him.

What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a
more comforting explanation. He said, "Everybody is born so that
they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody
and being nice."

The four-year-old continued, "Well, animals already know how to
do that, so they don't have to stay as long."

Ok, many folks think the above story isn't realistic and perhaps it isn't, and I have seen versions where the boy is 6, that's the power of the internet for you, there are always folks who want to fix what ain't broke ;)

Perhaps this maybe more to point.

If a dog was the teacher...

Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:

When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.

Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride. Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.

Take naps.

Stretch before rising.

Run, romp, and play daily.

Thrive on attention and let people touch you.

Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.

On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.

When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.

Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.

Be loyal.

Never pretend to be something you're not.

If what you want what lies buried, dig until you find it.

When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.

Ian,

Thanks for both of the poems,  I had read the last one about what we can learn from a dog.  I have learned so much from the dogs we have had.  The cats....well, they just train me and I never know what they are thinking... :)

John
John Canfield said:
I was watching RFD-TV last night and saw a cutter horse working cattle - absolutely amazing and a beautiful thing to watch  ;D

I have horses, well now only one, but I have ridden a cutting horse.  Let me tell ya, it takes a heck of a good rider to stay on.  The horse actually out thinks his rider and it's easy to find yourself quickly on the ground.  But they are beautiful to watch.

Marsha~

I had a sheltie and when I had moved I had given it to my Grandmother as I couldn't take it to the apartment . It was her best friend for years, Kept her alive (something to come home to) . Had to put it down at 14 years,Arthritis,  I cried like a baby but I was glad I was there and the last face she saw was ours.

We have a Pug now 12 years, I mentioned before I have more compassion for her than some people. My wife and I saw Marley and Me , She cried at the end, any way I found this article I had saved and wanted to post it.

A Dog's Plea

I remember bringing you home.
You were so small and cuddly
with your tiny paws and soft fur.
You bounced around the room
with your eyes flashing and ears flopping.
Once in a while you'd let out a little yelp
just to let me know this was your territory.
Making a mess of the house
and chewing on everything in sight
became a passion
and when I scolded you,
you just put your head down
and looked up at me with those innocent eyes
as if to say," I'm Sorry,
but I'll do it again as soon as you're not looking."
As you got older,
you protected me by looking out the window
and barking at everyone who walked by.
When I had a tough day at work,
you would be waiting for me
with your tail wagging just to say,
"Welcome home! I missed you!"
You never had a bad day
and I could always count on you
to be there for me.
When I sat down to watch T.V. or read the paper,
you would hop on my lap looking for attention.
You never asked for anything more
than to have me pat your head
so you could go to sleep with your head over my leg.
As you got older,
you moved around more slowly.
Then one day,
old age finally took its toll,
and you couldn't stand on those wobbly legs anymore.
I knelt down and patted you lying there,
trying to make you young again.
You just looked up at me
as if to say you were old and tired
and that after all of these years of not asking for anything,
you had to ask me to do one last favor.
With tears in my eyes,
I drove you one last time to the vet.
One last time you were lying next to me.
For some strange reason
you were able to stand up in the animal hospital.
Perhaps it was your sense of pride.
As the vet led you away,
you stopped for an instant, turned your head
and looked at me as if to say,
" Thank you for taking care of me."
And I thought, " No . . . Thank you for taking care of me."

We acquired our "travel dog" last August while on vacation in Missouri and he is our constant companion now. We got a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and definitely don't regret the choice. They are great companion dogs that were bred for that specific purpose and grow to around 20-25 lbs. The thing that originally attracted us to them was that they retain the "puppy look" for life. Barkley is great in the car and takes to long drives without complaint. Just a stop now and again for a short walk and back on the road. He stays in the crate when we are away.

As for grooming, the Cavalier has long hair but doesn't require any more than an occasional bath and brushing to keep him looking good. i would definitely recommend you check them out before making a choice. BTW, Southwest Missouri is the cheapest place to buy any kind of dog. There are a lot of breeders in the area that understand that most people want a pet to love and not a show dog. Check out Next Day Pets. They have listings for breeders of all types of dogs all over the country.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gurrenteed
Back
Top Bottom