Hop,Skip Jump Rally 09 Daily Schedule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betty Brewer

Moderator Emeritus
This is the first  of 3 parks on our Hop Skip and a Jump Rally. The HOP   group* met at 4 pm this afternoon to determine our Sunday,  Monday,  Tuesday activiites at Zion.  So much to see , so little time.

It was like herding cats;  Here is a  tentative list of activities for Sunday May 3, 2009

8:30 am  a group will leave to drive to Zion National Park to catch a shuttle.  We will ride to the end (45 minutes)  and take the  short easy hike. Bring a snack if you want or your lunch or buy snacks at the shop Peg says has good ice cream.  We had talked about taking in the IMAX Movie extravaganza, Treasure of Gods, but it only shows Tuesday through Saturday so if anyone wants to go to Imax theatre it will have to be on Tuesday at 1 pm or  3 pm.  This will leave more time to shop.

Some in the group are leaving at 9:30 am to take an advanced hike to Angels Landing .  It  takes about 4 hours round trip. 

We decided the Social hours will be at 4:30 pm in the Zion Park Social hall and  will keep in mind healthy snacks if you care to  have any snacks at all. Some want to save their appetite for dinner.
We mentioned the Worthington Gallery for  superb gift shopping.  Nice wind sculptures.

Monday May 4, 2009

Maybe an off road  drive. Details to be determined at  social hour on Sunday.  Hikes... details to be determined at Social hour. Shuttle to Zion,.... details to  be determined at Social hour.  In other words You Gotta  make Social hour to know what is happening!
Bill and Jolene leave today.

Tuesday May 5, 2009

Some more hikes and or drives.

IMAX Theatre 1pm or 3pm

Group Dinner at Spotted Dog restaurant .  Tables of 6 or 4.  Betty will get details on menu choices and times.  Betty has menu.   

We re-introduced awards.  Care Bear for doing nice things for others.  Russ gave it to Jeff for taking him to emergency hospital.

Laughing Chicken goes to  a person who made us laugh.  Mimi got the award as we recall her going through the car wash with her sunroof open.

And Picky Plundger goes to someone who has had a crappy day.  Ken and Shiela got this for a bad experience at check in.  They will be moving to a new site in the morning.

All plans are subject to change pending weather and whims.  We will hold a Pot luck during  Bryce leg of trip for advance planning.

Here are the participants* thus far.

Don and Peg Miller are staying at Watchman site  B-39
Chris and Mimi
Dean and Linda
Jerry and Ardra
Phil and Doris
Fred and Daisy
Jeff and Sue
Ray and Liza
Bill and Jolene
Terry and Betty
Ken and Shiela
Russ
Marty

Soon to join us
Kerry and Beth
Tom and Chris
Don  and Mary Ann

Betty:

Thanks for all your work. (And patience. ;D)

Betty hit the nail on the head re "it was like herding cats."  Took forever just to get through the introductions, much less the planning.  Some good laughs though!

ArdraF

Hi, Betty!

Thanks for organizing things so beautifully again.  Dean and I are in Site #18.  We were so pleased to see that Russ is here! 

We are going into Zion on our own tomorrow, as I can't do the hike.  Dean has had many late nights recently, so I think we'll get a little later start.

Hope you have a great time tomorrow, and we'll look forward to seeing you all in the afternoon. 

Linda

Rally under way but where are Beth and Kerry Mathews?  We have not yet seen them and  are wondering if all is well?

Betty

Great time today.  Our Hop back a time zone surprised us this morning.  We caught a ride into the park with Ken & Sheila, (THanks!)  We took the shuttle and got off at most of the stops for the short hikes.  This place is beautiful.

Nice social hour tonight with the adventurous hike displayed in a slide show.  Boy did that save my feet!

Tonight, hot tub.

Tomorrow, alas, we are back on the road.  Heading north to see Jolenes family before hitting Yellowstone on the 12th.

Report on May  3, 2009.  Hop Skip Jump Rally.
The group went their own ways today.  Marty (a newly welcomed friend to RV Forum) joined Sue , Betty and Peg  for a  shuttle ride onto Zion National Park where we walked the River walk to the end.  Ray an dLiza  got a late start and tried to do the  tunnel Mountain hike but no parking along the way side mid day. Chris and Mimi, Fred and Daisy, Doris and Phil relaxed all day.  Bill and Joelene  used the day to try almost every hike along the shuttle trail.  They will  sadly be leaving us in the morning. Ken and Sheila moved to a site near the group this morning and hiked  along the Riverwalk today.  Russ went to Target in St George and Chris and Mimi went to St George too. 

At HAPPY HOUR  Linda and Dean got the   Plunger award because upon  the start of the trip they got a  $ 56.00 ticket right in front of their   home. Don't you love city ordinances?  Care Bear went to  Don Miller for staying back to  walk with Ardra on a very tough hike. Mimi gave Chicken to  Russ for having to drive all the way to  Target in St George when he could have had a list  at shopping in Happy Trials.  Lots of laughs.

NEWS FOR  May 4 Monday.
A group is leaving at 8:30 am to try the tunnel Mountain trail.  A group is resting following the  strenuous hike of  yesterday. The Imax movie at 1 pm is scheduled for those who wish.

On our last night (May 5)  in Zion the group needs to be at Spotted Dog  Cafe at 5:15 pm.  If you bring your own wine bottle Spotted Dog Cafe will wave the corkage fee.  We can order off the menu and will be at tables of 6.  Address is 428  Zion Park Blvd  for those with a GPS.

Thanks Betty

This is a representation of the easy hike today taken by Betty, Sue,  Peg and Marty.  Sue  purchased her Golden Age pass today.

BB

Attachments

• IMG_0348.JPG
    IMG_0348.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    114.9 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_0357.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG
    111.5 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0360.JPG
    IMG_0360.JPG
    76.7 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 90
Some Pics from Angel's Landing hike.....Except for Vietnam toughest 5 mile hike I've ever been on.

Attachments

• Angels landing03 (Small).JPG
    Angels landing03 (Small).JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Angels landing07 (Small).JPG
    Angels landing07 (Small).JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Angels landing56 (Small).JPG
    Angels landing56 (Small).JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Angels landing15 (Small).JPG
    Angels landing15 (Small).JPG
    59 KB · Views: 81
  • Angels landing19 (Small).JPG
    Angels landing19 (Small).JPG
    63.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Angels landing20 (Small).JPG
    Angels landing20 (Small).JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 78
  • Angels landing26 (Small).JPG
    Angels landing26 (Small).JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Angels landing29 (Small).JPG
    Angels landing29 (Small).JPG
    49 KB · Views: 74
More Angel's Landing Pics

Attachments

• Angels landing30 (Small).JPG
    Angels landing30 (Small).JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Angels landing31 (Small).JPG
    Angels landing31 (Small).JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Angels landing39 (Small).JPG
    Angels landing39 (Small).JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 85
  • Angels landing40 (Small).JPG
    Angels landing40 (Small).JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 81
  • Angels landing43 (Small).JPG
    Angels landing43 (Small).JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 81
  • Angels landing46 (Small).JPG
    Angels landing46 (Small).JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Angels landing47 (Small).JPG
    Angels landing47 (Small).JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Angels landing48 (Small).JPG
    Angels landing48 (Small).JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 72
Betty Brewer said:
Chris and Mimi, Fred and Daisy, Doris and Phil relaxed all day. 

My peeps!  :D  Here's to relaxin' all day!  If I were there, I'd be relaxin' with you.  :D

Betty, I'm so glad to once again be reading your fascinating description of all the goin's on.  Thanks to Terry, Betty and anyone else who provided the wonderful pictures.  Memories ... memories .. such a glorious part of the country!  I'm eagerly awaiting future posts from the rally.

Maqrgi

As Terry mentioned the climb today was a challenge but the view well worth it! Here are a few more photos of our day.

Attachments

• Rock Trail to Top on Right (Small).JPG
    Rock Trail to Top on Right (Small).JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 73
  • A Little Narrow (Small).JPG
    A Little Narrow (Small).JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 74
  • A Little Steep In Places (Small).JPG
    A Little Steep In Places (Small).JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Magnificient View From Top (Small).JPG
    Magnificient View From Top (Small).JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 81
OMG! Any they call it Angel's Landing? Sure thing, fall off any of that and you'll be with landing the angels LOL

That is a tough hike but magnificent country and great photos.

Thanks to Betty and everybody for contributing to this, I just love to backpack with you as you enjoy getting out and about with Mother Gaia.

Thanks for the Angel's Landing pics. Now I know why I've never done that hike !

Wendy

Congratulations to Ardra for having done that hike because I remember hiking to Delicate Arch with her and Jerry the first time.

Except for some sore musles, we're none the worse for wear after yesterday's Angel's Landing hike.  Jerry and I did the entire thing about ten years ago.  This time I have to confess my back just didn't feel like going all the way.  In the next-to-last photo of Terry's first set (Reply 11) you can see us together right before the guys took off for the final ascent to 5,800 feet.  I stayed at a nice shady spot there where the photo was taken and enjoyed the views of the canyon.  In Jeff's second photo (Reply 14) you can see how I watched them go across the "saddle" and then continue up the other side.  Terry had a yellow backpack, Jerry wore a white shirt, and Jeff wore a rust-colored shirt (Don's brown shirt blended in with the background) so I was able to see the four of them go all the way up and across the top to where the three pine trees are outlined against the sky.  They then went out of sight as they dropped down to the landing itself.  Then I watched as they returned.  Jeff's photo also includes "my" pine tree - the largest one in the middle of the saddle.  When Jerry and I did the Angel's Landing hike ten years ago, the saddle scared the daylights out of me.  When I saw that tree, which then was less than half its current height, I sat down and put my arms around it.  That's the day I became a tree hugger!  ;)

By the way, the downhill hike was tough too because my knees just didn't want to bend!

ArdraF 

Lorna,

The Delicate Arch hike is a walk in the park when compared to Angel's Landing!  ;D

ArdraF

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom