Hop,Skip Jump Rally 09 Daily Schedule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are a couple more photos from the "very difficult" hike to the tip top of Angels Landing.  I added a short captions to each photo.  The elevation gain, as listed in one of the park brochures, was 1,488 feet.

Compare the 3rd photo (looking down) with the 5th photo (view from the top).  You can see the difference in our height above the ground in these two photos.

JerryF

Attachments

• Angels landing25 (Large).JPG
    Angels landing25 (Large).JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 90
  • Angels landing39 (Large).JPG
    Angels landing39 (Large).JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 78
  • Angels landing40 (Large).JPG
    Angels landing40 (Large).JPG
    166.5 KB · Views: 83
  • Angels landing43 (Large).JPG
    Angels landing43 (Large).JPG
    168.8 KB · Views: 78
  • AngelsLand-26 (Large).jpg
    AngelsLand-26 (Large).jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 77
Seeing Jerry's "looking down" photos reminded me of something.  On the road, those white specks are the shuttles.  The park is much quieter and much more pleasant without all the automobile traffic.

ArdraF

Next time to Zion I will do that hike.  New hiking boots and the first time there for Jolene and I kept me from joining.  Good thing we had to leave today, I would have had to have completed the hike.  I am sure Jerry would have gone with me.

We had a short drive today to Fillmore, UT.  Mountains way in the distance, but very flat here.  Mostly farmland so fdar as I can see.  Temps around 70, snow covered peaks along the drive.  3 summits over 6,000 ft along Rt15, but all easy. 

Tomorrow Antelope Island.  Enjoy the trip!

Glad you and Jolene were able to make it, albeit for only a short time.  Maybe longer another time!

Safe journey,
ArdraF

Boy! Those Angel's Landing pics really brought back the memories.

Below is a pic of Mary Ann and me last May.

We're at Ruby's now, site 121.

Looking forward to seeing you all Wednesday!

Don

Attachments

• Us Atop Angels landing.jpg
    Us Atop Angels landing.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 93
Don and Mary Ann,

Yep!  You were there!  :D Look forward to meeting you both.

ArdraF

May 4, Zion River Report,

Happily Beth and Kerry Mathews arrived this afternoon and were welcomed heartedly at our social hour.  The Chicken award went to Jerry tongiht for  his non accurate disclosure of the Angels landing  hike.  The Plunger Award went to  Don Miller because he and Peg were "stood up" by the group today when no one else showed up at the Movie, Treasures of the Gods.  Terry was given the Care Bear for his helpfulness with  tecky things and use of his phone. 
aTuesday Plans include a 5:15 dinner reservation at Spotted Dog Cafe.  Many will try to make the  3 pm Movie and then take in the Fatali Gallery prior to dinner.  Some are going on  a drive at 9:30 am and some will go hiking again.  Fun fun fun.
Betty

Attachments

• IMG_0365.JPG
    IMG_0365.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0371.JPG
    IMG_0371.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0384.JPG
    IMG_0384.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0403.JPG
    IMG_0403.JPG
    77.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_0421.JPG
    IMG_0421.JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0425.JPG
    IMG_0425.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 64
Just a couple words about Ruby's.

First, our Verizon air card works very well here.  WiFi, at least where we are leaves a lot to be desired.

If you must have satellite service, be prepared work at it with the desk staff.  There are many sites with no hope of getting a satellite signal because of large trees (ours is one) and there are many wide open sites, but I don't think the check in folks have a clue as to which is which.  Just be prepared to deal with it.

Also the trees they planted many years ago have matured and make some of the driveways and sites a real challenge to get into and out of.  EX., our site required a greater than 90 degree turn to enter -- I gave up and went to the next driveway and backed in.  Just don't be surprised or dismayed by what you find.  We know from previous experience that they will work with you to get you what you need.  We stayed put because we just didn't care enough to move.

OTOH, I don't know what the water pressure is, but it sure makes for a nice shower -- and no plumbing leaks!

See you tomorrow.

Don

Don and Mary Ann,

Thanks for the update on Ruby's.  Glad you are saving us a space. Some of our group is  coming in from Zion through the tunnel, others are taking alternate routes through Kanab, Colorado City .  We will see you at social hour at 4:30 at any place we can gather.  We hope to use your days experience there as an information for our meeting.  We do plan on a  pot luck on 5/7/2009.  May 7 is Ardra Fitzgerald's birthday.  We love celebrations.

Betty

May 5, 2009 Our last day in Zion was packed to  the fullest.  Trips into the park, visitor center and drives into surrounding areas were top events.  Many of us visited the  local Gigantic theatre to view the movie  "Treasures of the Gods"  which depicted the  Indian  myths legends and superstions of the area which may be true.  I was left with  the  quote, " Zion are tells the geology of the area but only YOU can tell your own feelings about the area."
At the Spotted Dog Cafe tonight we had a  wonderful group dinner  with table of Aces Kings, Queens and Jacks.  We honored the  advanced hikers tonight who came dressed alike.  We also celebrated Terry Brewers 62 nd birthday.  Not only is he now eligible for Social Security but he qualified to buy his old geezer pass.  He purchased the Senior pass and now our trips to National Parks are free.  His good friends  Fred and Daisy  Thomas honored him with a personalized OLD GEEZER walking stick.  Such terrific  friends!

We move on to Bryce in the morning.

Attachments

• IMG_0473.JPG
    IMG_0473.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0472.JPG
    IMG_0472.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0469.JPG
    IMG_0469.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0458.JPG
    IMG_0458.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0456.JPG
    IMG_0456.JPG
    84.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0435.JPG
    IMG_0435.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 45
Happy Birthday Terry and tomorrow Ardra.  She shares my mothers birthday.  Already left card with Mom, now to remember to call. 

We are now at Willard Bay, the Antelope Island stop was dropped due to biting gnats.  Here we have skeeters, but they don't seem to be inclined to bite.

Today we see Jolenes family! 

Oh, while Willard Bay was our first camping trip 37 years ago, it does not look familiar at all.

AAARRRRGGGG, I hate missing all of this.  Sure sounds like you all are having a great time.  Betty, I love your documentation of "all things fun".

I'm trying to remember if Angel's Landing is the hike where at the very last you climb up onto a peak using a chain rail to help.  If so, Tim and I have hiked that trail over New Years a couple of years ago.  He made it up to the very top with the help of the chain rail.  I stayed at the bottom; no way was I going up on that little peak.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
AAARRRRGGGG, I hate missing all of this.  Sure sounds like you all are having a great time.  Betty, I love your documentation of "all things fun".

I'm trying to remember if Angel's Landing is the hike where at the very last you climb up onto a peak using a chain rail to help.  If so, Tim and I have hiked that trail over New Years a couple of years ago.  He made it up to the very top with the help of the chain rail.  I stayed at the bottom; no way was I going up on that little peak.

Marsha~
\

Marsha:

Yup, that's Angel's Landing.  :eek: :p

And a big Happy Birthday to the guys and gals celebrating their birthdays on this great Rally. Well done all.

Loving the pictures too.

Thanks for the good wishes.  Another year gone!  Jerry's mother and I shared the same birthday.  Taurus!

ArdraF

May 6, 
Everyone made the trip from Zion to Bryce but we bid adieu to Phil and Doris.  Some came via the tunnel, some came via alternate routes.  It was another glorious clear  day.  We are camped at Ruby's in Bryce Canyon.  We held a social hour this afternoon under the cover of an awning but the wind blew the potato chips and popcorn all over.  We  did not do awards as Terry was still helping Don with  a Moto sat TV dish and it ran into overtime. We will hold Potluck at 4 pm tomorrow between our rigs to shelter us from wind.

Don and Mary Ann Nesbitt were introduced this afternoon and we discussed activities we could do in our 2 days here at Bryce.  A little later Don will hold a "pull through " contest  to see who can get through his sight as the park billed his site as a pull through. More news later.

Betty

Here are a couple of pictures of the Ruby's "pull-through" site 121 mentioned in Betty's post.

In picture 1, the campground road is the one to the right.  The site you can see with the rig and toad is site 122.  The entrance to site 121 is to the left of the big Ponderosa Pine, hidden by the small pine at the extreme left.  This is not trick photography.  This is the actual view you would have from the driver's seat of your rig.

Picture 2 shows our moho in place, again from the perspective you'd have when you'd want to start your turn.

I eventually drove around to the front and backed in.

I'll be happy to unhook and move if anyone wants to come by and give it a shot. :D ;D

Don

P.S. We're talking about a 40 foot moho here.

Attachments

• Ruby's site 121 a.jpg
    Ruby's site 121 a.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 53
  • Ruby's site 121 c.jpg
    Ruby's site 121 c.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom