Hop,Skip Jump Rally 09 Daily Schedule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember in the service, when some old sarge would start a story, it usually began with, "Hey, this ain't no sh*t"  I guess, the current story would have a different preface.

May 19, 2009

Happy Mother's Day.  Jeff and Sue prepared omlettes in a bag  for a breakfast treat and Beth made delicious  waffles for us.  Groups headed off to visit Capitol Reef. Many toured the park and a group went on the short easy hike  of the Grand Wash.

Scenery and weather were beautiful.  At  Social hour we learned that Beth  got the Care Bear award for making the waffles Jerry had begged for and Kerry won the Plunger award for having spilled his entire beer on the ground.  Ken  won the Chicken Award  for having lost his car keys .  He and Terry had actually just left their keys in the  vehicle that was to transport us home  but Ken and Shiela had to hike back to the beginning to retrieve the keys.  You had to be there for this kind of fun. 
It was said tonight that any of us can visit these beautiful natural parks but we can never create the laughs when we go on our own.  What a Framily! 

Attachments

• IMG_0693.JPG
    IMG_0693.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0696.JPG
    IMG_0696.JPG
    82.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0698.JPG
    IMG_0698.JPG
    66.1 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0750.JPG
    IMG_0750.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0702.JPG
    IMG_0702.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0737.JPG
    IMG_0737.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0710.JPG
    IMG_0710.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0755.JPG
    IMG_0755.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 36
Betty Brewer said:
Ken  won the Chicken Award  for having lost his car keys .   He and Terry had actually just left their keys in the  vehicle that was to transport us home  but Ken and Shiela had to hike back to the beginning to retrieve the keys.  You had to be there for this kind of fun. 

I think that Ken is going to have to always carry a spare set of keys for his car. As I remember he was driving the lead car on an off-road trip we took out of Moab last year and he locked his keys in the car when we stopped for lunch. That was fun also and there was no way that Sheila could walk back to the RV Park to get the extra set of keys. I think there was a description of the process used to retrieve his keys somewhere on the forum.

Here are some pics from the Grand Wash Hike.

Attachments

• Grand Wash Trail02 (Medium).JPG
    Grand Wash Trail02 (Medium).JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Grand Wash Trail04 (Medium).JPG
    Grand Wash Trail04 (Medium).JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Grand Wash Trail05 (Medium).JPG
    Grand Wash Trail05 (Medium).JPG
    82.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Grand Wash Trail12 (Medium).JPG
    Grand Wash Trail12 (Medium).JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 41
  • Grand Wash Trail13 (Medium).JPG
    Grand Wash Trail13 (Medium).JPG
    100.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Grand Wash Trail16 (Medium).JPG
    Grand Wash Trail16 (Medium).JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 37
Thanks for all the pictures.  I'm vicariously enjoying this rally with all of you.  It sure is good to see Ken and Sheila's smiling faces back on the forum!

Margi

Terry,

That 3rd picture from the last set of pictures you posted looks a lot more interesting when viewed upside down.  ;D ;D

Keep the pictures coming everyone, we're sure enjoying them!

Here is a raven and grouse from Bryce. The grouse moved into the shaded asphalt sidewalk and almost got stepped on by a tourist!

3 miles S of Torrey is an eagle's nest that has been occupied for about 25 years. Last year I posted a picture of a fully fledged youth hopping up and down as it practiced wing beating. This year the chick is younger and still in down.

Attachments

• Bryce_Canyon_2009_-grouse.jpg
    Bryce_Canyon_2009_-grouse.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Bryce_Canyon_2009_-raven.jpg
    Bryce_Canyon_2009_-raven.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 28
  • Torrey_2009_Eagle.jpg
    Torrey_2009_Eagle.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 31
Terry led a number of us on a great trail ride today (May 11th).  I drove Fred Thomas' Jeep with Fred and Jerry for company.  From UT 24 at the edge of Capitol Reef N.P. we went south following the Strike Valley.  Our objective was the Waterpocket Fold Overlook for lunch.  The Waterpocket Fold was pushed up when two tectonic plates collided and it's striking features are well worth a visit to this part of the park.  Eventually we turned west on the dirt road and began an upward climb on the Burr Trail Road.  This road climbs up the red rocks in a series of steep switchbacks, smaller scale but similar to the Shaffer Trail in Canyonlands.  At the top was the most magnificent view out a V and across the Strike Valley to the Waterpocket Fold.  We had a delightful lunch under warm and sunny skies.  After lunch we continued up the Burr Trail for a while and then went onto the Muley Twist Canyon 4wd road to a trailhead where we had a nice 20-minute hike up to the Strike Valley Overlook.  WOW!  The view from there is absolutely gorgeous and we could see the length of the valley, both north and south.  Our trip back to the Thousand Lakes RV Park was to continue west on the Burr Trail Road which took us through a part of the new Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument.  The 37-mile section between the towns of Boulder and Torrey took us on Utah 12 to an elevation of 9,600 feet.  The entire drive was about 130 miles.  Long but delightful!

The first two photos are of the Burr Trail Switchbacks, the third is the view from our lunch viewpoint, and the last two are from the Strike Valley Overlook and show the Waterpocket Fold thrust upward across the valley.

ArdraF

Attachments

• Burr Trail-1.JPG
    Burr Trail-1.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Burr Trail-2.JPG
    Burr Trail-2.JPG
    138.4 KB · Views: 36
  • Burr Trail-3.JPG
    Burr Trail-3.JPG
    130.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Burr Trail-4.JPG
    Burr Trail-4.JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 37
  • Burr Trail-5.JPG
    Burr Trail-5.JPG
    112 KB · Views: 34
More Pics of the "Loop the Fold" ride.

Attachments

• Loop the Fold05 (Medium).JPG
    Loop the Fold05 (Medium).JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 45
  • Loop the Fold09 (Medium).JPG
    Loop the Fold09 (Medium).JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 45
  • Loop the Fold25 (Medium).JPG
    Loop the Fold25 (Medium).JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Loop the Fold26 (Medium).JPG
    Loop the Fold26 (Medium).JPG
    84.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Loop the Fold30 (Medium).JPG
    Loop the Fold30 (Medium).JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 44
May 11, 2009
As was posted already, the day had many events.  We  skipped Social Hour tonight between the 2 motorhomes  due to 3 raindrops but  held awards following our dinner.  We had a group dinner at Thousand Lakes Campground.  Each was invited to pre order their selection from a web site of  menu items. 
We honored the birthday of Don Miller and sang to him when we got ice cream at the end of our dinner.  Awards were presented to Betty for having a first aid kit in the car and offering anticeptic wipes to Mimi when she shut the  car door on her leg during the drive. Chris won the  Silly Chicken Award  and Mimi won the Plunger Award. Sorry but I am writing this  post a day later and I can't recall the exact details of their winnings. I want someone with a good memory to give details. 

Betty

Attachments

• IMG_0813.JPG
    IMG_0813.JPG
    118 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0833.JPG
    IMG_0833.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 29
HAPPY BIRTHDAY to Terry, Ardra, and Don and may all of you have many more.

Sounds like Betty may be the nominee for the silly chicken award.  Posting at a point where the details are lost.  Hmmm, I am not with the group, but that would be my nomination.  Of course, I also nominate her for the Care Bear for all her work in organizing and reporting. 

Here are some pics of yesterdays Cathedral valley ride.

Attachments

• Cathedral Valley01 (Medium).JPG
    Cathedral Valley01 (Medium).JPG
    81.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Cathedral Valley04 (Medium).JPG
    Cathedral Valley04 (Medium).JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 28
  • Cathedral Valley13 (Medium).JPG
    Cathedral Valley13 (Medium).JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 30
  • Cathedral Valley22 (Medium).JPG
    Cathedral Valley22 (Medium).JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Cathedral Valley39 (Medium).JPG
    Cathedral Valley39 (Medium).JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Cathedral Valley53 (Medium).JPG
    Cathedral Valley53 (Medium).JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Cathedral Valley54 (Medium).JPG
    Cathedral Valley54 (Medium).JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Cathedral Valley59 (Medium).JPG
    Cathedral Valley59 (Medium).JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 30
Ron,

You're right!  We stayed home after the 130-mile drive the previous day.  Instead we drove around the park to all the view sites, one of which included a hike down Capitol Gorge Canyon.  In the early days it was the primary east-west route across the Waterpocket Fold.  Actually it was used by the early natives because there are both petroglyphs and a wall of pioneer names that include dates in the late 1800s and early 1900s when automobiles started going through the narrow canyon.  Its sheer walls are really neat.

ArdraF

I also nominate her for the Care Bear for all her work in organizing and reporting

I second!  Bill, Betty is one of our group's very special people.  But you already know that.... ;)

ArdraF

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom