Hop,Skip Jump Rally 09 Daily Schedule

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
May 12, 2009

Well folks it was the final day of the Forum Hop Skip and Jump Rally.  Terry led a ride over the river and through the Bentonite hills through Cathedral Valley for brave souls and our neighbors in the Campground.  Yep, we invited the couple next door who had a jeep, have been on the Forum and wanted to go on the  trip.  It was a long day but we managed a final Social Hour desite our first  hint of poor weather on the entire rally. It was warm but really windy all day long.  Beth and Kerry treated us to  carrot cake to honor their upcoming 6 year wedding anniversary next week.

Final awards asked for nominees and the group was pretty quiet .  So awards were given.  Right after the formal awards the true confessions of what really happened were made public! 

Don N. earned the Plunger Award for  a bad day because he could not find the store that sold the Cherry pie he wanted.  Liza got the award for getting wet in the river photographing her husband coming downriver.  She did not see Chris drive his car across leaving a big wake!  Jeff Cousins was helpful on giving Alaska trip details to Dean and Linda and helped them with  resizing photo tips.  We look forward to posts of their Alaskan adventures this summer.  You had to be there for the after award comments.  Seems some could not find the right coach after dark! 

It was said again that we could  all do this trip on our own but we could never recreate the laughs we had with our Framily!

Attachments

• IMG_0900.JPG
    IMG_0900.JPG
    85.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0902.JPG
    IMG_0902.JPG
    73.3 KB · Views: 33
HSJ Final Coments

This was a  first Forum Caravan to involve 3 locations.  The  group consensus was that it was fantastic.  The group elected to do another one next year but make each stay 4 nights.  SO  watch for postings on  Hop Skip and Jump II.  It will begin May 1 at Zion, continue May 5 at Bryce and end up May 9 at Capitol Reef.  12 nights.  Folks may join any part, all parts or extend the stay at beginning and end of rally.

I have announced my retirement from leadership in this event.  Happily others jumped forward and will carry the torch of details on the  2010 HSJ Rally. 

It has been really,  really fun to plan , organize and execute but I am  now off duty...........My thanks to all participants and followers of the posts for the support and the laughs.
Betty

So who is stepping in to fill Betty's very large shoes? (Not implying that she has big feet but that she's done an outstanding job.)

Wendy

Betty, bravo zulu, (Navy speak, ask ne of the retirees).  I envy you the time, I love doing these trip plans, but alas, until we fully retire, we usually have something at the end or middle that interferes.  You can put me down to organize one in the future.  In the meantime, thanks so much for your efforts, and thank you to whoever volunteered.

PancakeBill said:
  I envy you the time, I love doing these trip plans, but alas, until we fully retire, we usually have something at the end or middle that interferes.  You can put me down to organize one in the future. 

Bill ,

Thank you for your kind words.  You will indeed be on the spot when you retire.  This is indeed a Framily  that will continue as long as we want.  To that end I will just remind observers and participants that there is a  button at the top of the home page  that says DONATE.  To keep us in business we want  the  RV Forum to benefit from the generosity of it's members.  The information we gain and relationships we create are priceless.

Betty
Former rally organizer

Betty Brewer said:
I have announced my retirement from leadership in this event.  

You have certainly earned your retirement from planning oh-so-many forum activities.  You have put all of us, sometimes grumpy  :eek:  participants, through our paces over the years (many years!) and we always have enjoyed the antics, in spite of ourselves.  :D  You're a class act, Miss Betty, and we thank you for all your efforts on our behalf.  You have a unique ability to inject happiness into each day and the equally unique ability to spread that happiness around amongst your friends. 

One of my favorite memories .... Y2K, freezing our assets off in Quartzsite on New Years Eve, wondering what the heck we were doing in that God-forsaken place on the desert in that weather anyway.  But you organized Frisbee golf (or was it Frisbee baseball?), fed us lasagne from Smart and Final's freezer case, documented the event with personalized snapshots, and darned if it wasn't fun! 

(My wager and my hope:  this retirement won't last ... she'll be back!  ;D )

Margi

THE DAY AFTER HJS 1.........

We had a lazy day and slept in and recovered from long off road trips and sorry that we could not say good bye to the ones  that left early this morning.
We like to thank Betty for organizing such a perfect ralley and reporting the daily activities and the amazing pictures that others posted. We had a great great time. The only set back is that Betty official announced her retirement, she will be difficult to replace but are gratefull that for next year we have 3 volunteers to organize each one section of HSJ 2.
Thank youTerry for the rides.

Hope to see you all next year and be there.

Thanks to Betty for putting another rally together. I love reading the threads and seeing the pictures. Like many, I enjoyed the rally.  ;D

As a matter of fact, thanks to all who participated. Wouldn't be much if there was no one there, no matter how well planned.  :D  ::)

This one was close enough to us that we just might have been able to make it, had we not been previously committed, so to speak. Maybe, next year. We certainly would enjoy that!

Ray D  ;D

Hi Ray and all Forum Lurkers and participants.

Everyone is welcomed at our rallies.  I even picked up newbies from campgrounds where we stayed.  We love new stories. I hope to meet you at a rally.  With almost a one year notice, we should be able to  pick up many  participant in  the 2010 HSJ Rally. I know you want to join us!

So who is it  to organize the HOP portion?  Recall I have retired.

Betty

A special thanks to Betty for posting the daily reports and all those who contributed pictures for all of us to see.  Wish we could have been there to enjoy this with the Framily.

Today was a relaxing day as the HSJ officially ended last night with Betty's well deserved retirement. ;D

We still have six coaches here at Thousand Lakes RV Park and, except for Fred and Daisy, will all be headed in different directions for the summer Friday morning. As Chris mentioned we all took it easy with runs to the store and a quick trip to the Park to watch the Visitor's Center movie about the Park and a couple of last vistas. When you have 12 Forum members in one place there will be a Happy Hour and we sat around tonight reminiscing on the great time we've all had.

Here are a few more photos including a panorama from the drive yesterday. Southern Utah is awe inspiring!

Attachments

• Lower Desert Overlook (Medium).jpg
    Lower Desert Overlook (Medium).jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Capitol Reef Cathredal (Medium).JPG
    Capitol Reef Cathredal (Medium).JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 38
  • Capitol Reef Gooseneck Overlook (Medium).JPG
    Capitol Reef Gooseneck Overlook (Medium).JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 35
  • Don, Mary Ann, and Sue (Medium).JPG
    Don, Mary Ann, and Sue (Medium).JPG
    91 KB · Views: 39
A big thanks to Betty and others for posting reports and photos. This was a rally we'd planned to attend, and were really looking forward to it. Unfortunately, other events changed our plans, and we were left with no choice but to cancel our reservations at the eleventh hour. Looks like we missed a great rally.

Tom, you really have to get your priorities in order :D

[quote author=Ned]Tom, you really have to get your priorities in order[/quote]

We are dealing with family circumstances, and have our priorities in the correct order.

Jerry and I had a wonderful hike today up the Chimney Rock Loop Trail.  The first part is strenuous because it's uphill but it's a good trail that is easy to follow - no boulder scrambling!  The effort is worth it when you reach the top where there are spectacular views down on the Goosenecks and out to the Waterpocket Fold.  After traversing the top you go down through a valley where the contrasting colors (red rock, gray Bentonite, beige capstones, etc.) and steep cliffs are striking.  The entire loop was 3.5 miles and took us 1 hour 45 minutes, including many catch-our-breath stops, photo stops and a lunch break.  We'll do this trail again and invite others to join us.

Tonight we had happy hour and the ten of us went out to our "last supper" of this rally.  Tomorrow we all go our separate ways.  It's been a good group with a lot of laughs.

Thanks to Betty for another great rally.  You always have so many ideas that turn out to be great fun.  We have a great framily here and you're just one example of how lucky we all are to be in the group.  Have a great - and restful - summer!

ArdraF

Here's the group at "The Last Supper".

Attachments

• Last Supper at The Rim Rock (Medium).JPG
    Last Supper at The Rim Rock (Medium).JPG
    116.3 KB · Views: 44
Although we were able to participate only in the "skip" and "jump" and received the "Plunger Award" twice, we had a great time!

Many thanks to Terry for putting together the off-road drives, Jerry and Ardra for organizing the hikes, to everyone else who pitched in to make this so enjoyable and fun, but especially to Betty for being the glue that held it all together and the "whip" when we needed it to get organized and get going!

'Til next time.

Don and Mary Ann

Thought you might enjoy seeing what we have in store for you hikers next year!  ;D  This is a picture of Chimney Rock and Jerry added some notations.  The viewpoint is actually above the Chimney Rock so there's an optical illusion.  It actually looks worse than it is....

ArdraF

Attachments

• Chimney Rock.JPG
    Chimney Rock.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 43

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57