Need new seals on bedroom slide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LK23

In 2006, I found I had a leak around the bedroom slide on our 2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD.  I took our coach to Nolan's RV in Denver for warranty repair and they replaced the seals with the newer double wipe seals.

I now find I have another leak in the bedroom slide.  After inspecting the slide seals I found the vertical side seals were cut almost 2 inches too short.  This leaves an opening at the top of the seal on each side of the slide.  See Photos. This sorry installation mistake was covered with a piece of rubber trim that has since fallen off.

I called Winnebago and learned that the double wipe seal is no longer made.  They now have a new single wipe seal that is used on the newer coaches.  I plan to have my slide seals replaced at Steve Casey's RV in Denver.

I also learned that Winnebago has a new extrusion trim piece for the bottom edge of the slide panels, facing fore and aft when the slide is extended.  This new trim piece fits flush and is less prone to causing leaks.  I may have it replaced while they are replacing the slide seals.

Any cautions or concerns with this repair?

Anyone have experience with Steve Casey RV?

Attachments

• Slide Seal Left.jpg
    Slide Seal Left.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 333
  • Slide seal Right.jpg
    Slide seal Right.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 277
LK23 said:
This sorry installation mistake was covered with a piece of rubber trim that has since fallen off.

Rex - that's why I like to have the factory do repairs - any chance you can get to Forest City?  FC is only 892 miles from downtown Denver - all Interstate.  You can be there in two-three days.

John,

No, Forest City is the wrong direction for us.  I will have to get it repaired locally before our next trip.  I have used All Stars RV, an independent RV maintenance place and they have done great work on my coach, even doing the roof to sidewall sealing that two other Winnie dealerships messed up.  So that is an option.  I trust them but not sure they have any experience installing slide seals.  Possibly, Winnebago can send them instructions.

Rex

Thanks for the info and pics Rex.  Please let us know how it turns out for you after it done.  And if possible, please post a few "after" pics to compare to the before shots.  By looking at your before pics I can really see how the rain would get it there. 

Sarge

Rex,

Thanks for the info I have a 2005 40AD as well and have a bedroom leak I think my problem however is the extrusion trim since the seal looks fine, but I get water running in the bottom, waiting for Lazy Days to get me the part since it's leaked since I got this unit used.  I would get the trim or I think you may have the issue I have.  Would like to see a photo if you get the trim done.

David.

David,

There evidently is two fixes for the leak at the bottom of the bedroom slide.  1.  the new extrusion trim and 2. a triangular rubber piece that fits on the inner most bottom corner.

You might want to speak with Jay on the Winnie Customer Service line.  Jay is the slide expert and has helped me a lot. 

RVQueens said:
Rex,

Thanks for the info I have a 2005 40AD as well and have a bedroom leak I think my problem however is the extrusion trim since the seal looks fine, but I get water running in the bottom, waiting for Lazy Days to get me the part since it's leaked since I got this unit used.  I would get the trim or I think you may have the issue I have.  Would like to see a photo if you get the trim done.

David.

Hey David - welcome partner!!  Lazydays attempted to fix our bedroom slide leak and while they improved the situation, they didn't cure the problem (we ordered our unit from Lazydays.)  Winnie factory service had the silver bullet for our leak - haven't had a problem since the fix!

We're glad to have you in our little corner of the Internet - look around, have fun, and be active here!

John,

Thanks for the info, yes Lazydays has already tried three times to fix it, I knew from the internet it may have been a problem and it was. I also told them what I had found on other news groups the the seal needed to be upgraded, so finally after the third time in they agreed to order the part.  We are now back in Canada so I'm try to get them to ship me the part (under there warranty)  and get it installed up here, I can see what the issue is with the water coming in where the side seal meets the bottom seal.  If all else fails I will make the road trip to Winnie in the fall.

Just replaced the carpet in the main area with flooring will have to get some photos up!

John,

Wondering since you had the seals upgraded at the factory if you could post a picture of the bottom left side seal of the bedroom slide while fully open I would like to see how it is supposed to look as apposed to the mine which has repairs at attempted on it.

Thanks

John,

The pictures really help, when the factory did the fix, they add the drip tray, wiper outside and inside and the trim strip on the two sides on the bottom?

Based on what I see and where I can see the water coming in I think the trim strip on the side is the only thing I may need to fix the leak.  Have you noticed if the drip tray ever has water in it?  I don't think I have a problem with the bottom seal, watching it in the rain the water is running down the seal coming in the bottom where side and bottom seal meet.

Is this trim a rubber strip, it looks like what it would do id move the water away from where the two (side & bottom) seals meet since I know that is where me leak is.  Is this something that could just be created with a trip to Home depot or Lowes?

RVQueens said:
John,

The pictures really help, when the factory did the fix, they add the drip tray, wiper outside and inside and the trim strip on the two sides on the bottom?

Yes - I believe so.

Have you noticed if the drip tray ever has water in it? 

Sorry - never looked!

Is this trim a rubber strip, it looks like what it would do id move the water away from where the two (side & bottom) seals meet since I know that is where me leak is.  Is this something that could just be created with a trip to Home depot or Lowes?

Well.. possibly.  Somebody here (Mark - Voyage1?) did a 'Home Depot' fix and it turned out pretty good.  My recommendation is to have Winnebago Factory Service install the seal kit if you can make it to Forest City.  Heck - plan on going to the Grand National Rally while you're at it.

hoopers2 said:
John, how much did it cost to have the factory fix the leaky slide problem?

The price was right - $000.00 - we were still in warranty.

John,

I took a look at your always great photos.  It appears you have the new extrusion trim piece that Jay Swearingen told me about.  I think the idea around the new trim is that is fits flush with the body of the slide.  Mine protrudes about 1/8 inch from the body and creates a possible leak when the slide seal cannot close the gap.  And the water follows that trim inside the coach.

Did Jay give you a part number for the extrusion trim by any chance.

John can you tell if you look past the seal if the trim goes the entire length of the slide or does it stop just before the bottom seal?

RVQueens said:
John can you tell if you look past the seal if the trim goes the entire length of the slide or does it stop just before the bottom seal?

Can you give me a picture link from my gallery?  I'm not exactly sure where I need to look.

David,

Take a closer look at John's fourth photo.  The black trim piece at the bottom of the slide wall is the item.  It extends past the slide seal probably to the innermost edge of the slide wall.

When I discussed this trim piece with Jay he said removing the existing trim is the problem.  He has a procedure where you take out all the screws except the one that is unreachable because it is near or inside the coach when the slide is extended.  His procedure is to use a small chisel to cut this last screw.  They new trim piece does not use this screw hole.

I have sent an email to Jay asking for the part numbers of the the new trim piece as well as the new seals (I cannot find them on the Winnebago parts diagram).  I will update this post when I receive them.

Thanks for the info is he sending you the procedure as well? The side seal are standard and I have already ordered them as whoever tried in the past to fix the leak has destroyed the existing seal.  It also is about 1/2 - 3/4 of an inch too short and there is a gap in the bottom on the one side and John's clearly goes right to the bottom. I have Lazydays sending me what I hope is the new trim but I will find out once I get it. (They were to fix the leak as part of the 30 day warranty.

Thanks for all the help i will keep you posted with my progress as well,   

This seems to be the issue that gap just above the old trim allows water coming down the seal to catch on that lip and run inside.  I played around on the weekend in the rain with a small rubber trim I had and was able to stop the leak on the one side so I think replacing the trim with the new trim kit is the key.  I notice this gap exists on the other slide but I don't notice a leak there wonder why it's only an issue on the bedroom slide?

Attachments

• Slide_old_2.JPG
    Slide_old_2.JPG
    108.7 KB · Views: 163
You have it captured very well in your photo.  That is where the water comes in the bedroom slide.  I, too, have wondered why this is not an issue with the other slides.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom