Need new seals on bedroom slide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Part Numbers.

For anyone else that may need this info I have the part numbers for the new trim on the bedroom slide.

123816-01-000 (Double sided tape)
154938-02-03A (8 screws)
072889-01-000 (tube of sealant)
035648-51-700 (Black metal Stripe)

I now just need to get hold of Jay for the instructions on installing.

Dave

Wow, those part numbers are different from the ones I just ordered:

Lower Horizontal slide trim          158030-02-02A

Screws, Black w/ Sealant Patch    154938-02-02A

Wedge Shaped Foam Block Left    157809-02-01A

Wedge Shaped Foam Block Right    157809-01-01A

Double Wipe Seal for vertical seals   153161-01-01A

Backing Tape for Slide Seal Trim       069640-01-000

Dave, What model Winnie do you have?

LK23 said:
Wow, those part numbers are different from the ones I just ordered:

Lower Horizontal slide trim          158030-02-02A

Screws, Black w/ Sealant Patch    154938-02-02A

Wedge Shaped Foam Block Left    157809-02-01A

Wedge Shaped Foam Block Right    157809-01-01A

Double Wipe Seal for vertical seals   153161-01-01A

Backing Tape for Slide Seal Trim       069640-01-000

Dave, What model Winnie do you have?

Mine is a 2005 Itasca 40AD I wonder if your  "Lower Horizontal slide trim          158030-02-02A" is actually the main kit for all the parts I have, I did not order mine directly, Lazydays shipped it to me as a warranty repair so all I have is the part numbers off the items shipped and none of the other parts you have overlap with mine.  By the way did you ever get information from Jay on the procedure to remove and install?  I called but he is off this week.  As well do they still have the double wipe seal? I was told it has gone to the "new" single wipe? 

Yes, I have a 2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD as well.  I think I have this figured out.  Part 035648-51-700 (Black metal Stripe) is a vertical trim piece.  It is mentioned in the Slide Seal Replacement document I will attach.  I am using this document only as reference to replace my double wipe seals.  When I discussed this with Bryan at Winnie, he told me to ignore the section about replacing the vertical trim.  

The horizontal trim replaces the existing top and bottom trim pieces and are more aligned with the body of the slide-out.  I was told I only need to replace the bottom horizontal trim, part 158030-02-02A to stop leaks.  This is discussed the second document I am attaching titled Slide-Out Horizontal Trim Installation.

Yes, I recall Jay mentioning a new single wipe seal.  ??? However, when he gave me part numbers it was for the Double wipe Seal, part no. 153161-01-01A.  I received most of my parts yesterday from Lichtsinn.  I have 20 foot of the double wipe seal (top and both sides), one Lower Horizontal Slide Trim (the second one is being shipped), two wedge shaped foam, Screws with sealant and backing tape for slide seal trim.

OOPS, this forum refused to allow me to post the attachments since they exceed 250 KB.  Anyone know a work around? :-\

this forum refused to allow me to post the attachments since they exceed 250 KB.  Anyone know a work around?

Yes, resize them to a smaller size.  There have been numerous discussions here on image resizers.  A search on image resize will turn up most of them.

LK23 said:
Yes, I have a 2005 Itasca Horizon 40AD as well.  I think I have this figured out.  Part 035648-51-700 (Black metal Stripe) is a vertical trim piece.  It is mentioned in the Slide Seal Replacement document I will attach.  I am using this document only as reference to replace my double wipe seals.  When I discussed this with Bryan at Winnie, he told me to ignore the section about replacing the vertical trim.  

The horizontal trim replaces the existing top and bottom trim pieces and are more aligned with the body of the slide-out.  I was told I only need to replace the bottom horizontal trim, part 158030-02-02A to stop leaks.  This is discussed the second document I am attaching titled Slide-Out Horizontal Trim Installation.

Yes, I recall Jay mentioning a new single wipe seal.  ??? However, when he gave me part numbers it was for the Double wipe Seal, part no. 153161-01-01A.  I received most of my parts yesterday from Lichtsinn.  I have 20 foot of the double wipe seal (top and both sides), one Lower Horizontal Slide Trim (the second one is being shipped), two wedge shaped foam, Screws with sealant and backing tape for slide seal trim.

OOPS, this forum refused to allow me to post the attachments since they exceed 250 KB.  Anyone know a work around? :-\

Rex,

Thanks for all the info, sounds like Lazydays did not order the correct parts :-(.  I sent you a PM if you can email the PDF I can figure out what I really need to order.  I think at this time I will start with the lower Horizontal Slide trim I think it is really the heart of the problem and if that does not work I will do the double wipe slide seal.

Today, I learned I ordered the incorrect Backing tape for the Slide Seal Retainers.  The correct part number is 069640-10-000.  Two digits were transposed.  This is a self-adhesive tape that goes under the slide seal retainers.   You may not need this part to replace your seals.  I need to replace mine because a Winnie Dealer incorrectly put goopy black caulk under my seal retainers when they replaced my seals two years ago.  And they cut the seal rubber two inches too short creating a gap at the top corners.  This is why I am replacing the seals myself.

Rex,

Thanks for emailing the PDF they really help out, just wondering it seems to me changing the vertical trim since it would now be one piece top to bottom would be the best solution (one flat surface top to bottom for the slide to seal against), however Winnebago I guess told you only the bottom Horizontal trim needed to be changed to fix the leak, was the reason for this that bottom trim was the lowest cost easier fix or that the vertical fix did not work? Since I have the vertical trim I'm trying to figure out which way to go because if I change the vertical trim I don't see much use to the other fixes.

Thanks
Dave

Dave,

Take another look at the photo you posted earlier.  The horizontal trim piece does not fit flush with the body of the slide-out.  This creates a small gap that water can seep into.  The new horizontal trim piece fits flush against the body.  I cannot speak for the vertical triim.  When I spoke with Bryan at Winnie, he said to disregard that part of the instructions.  Possibly you should pose that question to Winnie.

Today, I installed the lower horizontal trim pieces on the bedroom slide-out.  All went well and the next step is to replace the top and side seals (I need another helper for this since I have to remove the slide topper to get access to the top seal).  I used the NuFlex 640 sealant to seal the old screw holes and on the back side of the new trim pieces.  And, thanks to a suggestion from Bryan at Winnebago I used Eternabond tape to cover the old and new screw holes prior to installing the new trim.  It was a fairly easy install.  It took me about three hours but I was slow and deliberate.

Hi Rex....I have been fighting a bedroom slide leak on my 2005 Itasca 40KD since new. We went to Forest City while under warranty, they changed the seals to the double seals and that made it leak less but it still leaks sometimes. I now want to try the new style trim panels you installed on your coach. Did you have to order two of these panels (one for each side) and did you have to cut these to fit. Could you also send me a copy of the PDF file you have on the install.

Thanks in advance, Warren
[email protected]

Warren,

I found that the new horizontal trim pieces were fairly easy to install.  I have sent you the PDF file for this as well as the installation of the new seals.  Both of the the new trim pieces were identical in length.  One fit perfectly and the other was about 1/4 inch too short.  Fortunately, the short side was toward the front of the motor home and once the new trim was installed and the bedroom slide retracted I could apply clear silicone to the gap from the inside of the motor home.  You could easily see the gap when standing in the bath room.

I was told the difficult part was removing the innermost screw on the old trim.  I found I could twist the screw out about half way with an offset phillips screwdriver, then I could turn it the rest of way with a pair of needle nose pliers.

I added notes to the Winnie instrucions since Bryan suggested that I not only put caulk in the old screw holes but after wiping off the excess caulk applying Eternabond tape over the old and new screw holes.  I had a 4 x 4 square of Eternabond tape that I cut into 3/4 inch strips.  This worked well but it would have been better if I had a one inch wide roll of tape for the application.

Note:  you need to either have the vertical seals removed or do as I did and cut the bottom 3 inches of the vertical seals off so you can work with the horizontal trim installation.  I cut the bottom off because I knew I would return next week and replace the slide seals.

Rex...Thanks for the PDFs and the work you put in getting this info and part numbers. Winnebago installed the vertical strips on my coach back in 2005 along with the double seals, these two items helped with the leak, but we still get some water on the back side seal. Hopefully the new horizontal strip will do the job.

I completed the installation of my bedroom slide seals yesterday and it went quite well.  Here are some tips for anyone who might try this project:

1.  Use a tubing cutter (photo attached) to cut the double wipe seal.  It gives a good, clean and straight cut.

2.  To install the top seal, extend the slide only 8 to 10 inches. You can stand on a ladder and reach over the top to install the seal.  Of course, this is after the topper is removed first.

3.  I sprayed the rubber seal with Windex for a wet lube and it slide easily into its track.

4.  For the vertical side seals, extend the slide until it is about 6 inches from fully extended.  Do not fully extend the slide or the seals will be difficult to install.

Attachments

• IMG_2275.jpg
    IMG_2275.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 59
LK23 said:
I completed the installation of my bedroom slide seals yesterday and it went quite well.  Here are some tips for anyone who might try this project:

1.  Use a tubing cutter (photo attached) to cut the double wipe seal.  It gives a good, clean and straight cut.

2.  To install the top seal, extend the slide only 8 to 10 inches. You can stand on a ladder and reach over the top to install the seal.  Of course, this is after the topper is removed first.

3.  I sprayed the rubber seal with Windex for a wet lube and it slide easily into its track.

4.  For the vertical side seals, extend the slide until it is about 6 inches from fully extended.  Do not fully extend the slide or the seals will be difficult to install.

Rex,

Now that it's been a few months is all Dry did the seals and trim fix your issue?

Thanks
David

Back
Top Bottom