How long to charge a battery?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fshrvmn

Hi Folks!
I'd like to know roughly how long it would take to charge a group 24 battery that has been discharged 50% and that is being charged with a 15 amp charger (open and closed circuit)?

Also, I would be using a genny with an 8 amp DC output to re-charge the charger and need to know if I am supposed to connect the genny to the charger while charging the battery or not?  I am a neophyte when it comes to all of this battery and genny stuff, but hope to rise to the status of educated-novice before dry camping this season.

Thanks, Mike

A typical group 24 battery is about 80-85 amp hours, so 50% charge means it needs 40+ AH pumped back in. You would think a 15 amp charger would do it in 3 hours, but batteries don't work that way. When they are well discharged they will accept 12-15 amps from a 15 amp charger, but as the charge comes up the rate of acceptance slows down and the charge rate drops off quickly to 5A or less. I would figure at least 8 hours to get to 90% charge and probably 10-12 to get back to 100%.  When RVers spend several days with the genny, they are usually oscillating between 50% charge and 80% charge because nobody wants to run the genset long enough to get to 100%.

Do NOT connect the genset DC output to the pop-up's charger!  The charger runs on 120vac, not DC. You can charge by connecting the genset DC output direct to the battery, or you can charge by plugging the converter/charger power source to the genset 120vac output.  When you plug the trailer into the genset 120vac outlet, the onbaord converter/charger will receive power and automatically start charging the batetry. You don't need to do anything else.

That DC out on the genny is usually a bad choice, But then I don't know what your options are.

1: No regulation means good chance of overcharge
2: Low current means it takes a long time to charge (See Ron's post for an idea of how long)

A better choice is to feed 120vac to a proper 3-stage converter/charger,,, There are several makes and models on the market,

Gary and John,

After reading your posts I did some additional research and found out that my converter/charger is NOT multi-stage.  Therefore, I just purchased the Centurion 3000 xl upgrade board for my existing Centurion.  The upgrade IS multi-stage and delivers 30amps during intial-stage charging (12 amps on the old board).  This should do the trick when connected to a Honda eu1000 or 2000 genny.  Now I have to decide on the genny to purchase!

Thank you both very much for helping things to make much more sense.  ;)

Mike

John From Detroit said:
That DC out on the genny is usually a bad choice, But then I don't know what your options are.

1: No regulation means good chance of overcharge
2: Low current means it takes a long time to charge (See Ron's post for an idea of how long)

A better choice is to feed 120vac to a proper 3-stage converter/charger,,, There are several makes and models on the market,

How much is a proper 3-stage charger? 

I just bought this charger: Eliminator Battery Charger

It's a so-called intelligent charger.  I displays the voltage sent to the battery and I see it in the high 14V when it starts and lowers down as the charge goes up.  It's a 15/2A charger.  Once it reaches 100%, it toggles to trickle charge.

It took one hour to charge my group 24 from 80% to 100%.  Once charged, I disconnected it.  3 days later, I checked it with the multimeter and the voltage was 12.7V, so still full charge.

My plan was to use that on the genset to charge my battery when boondocking.  Seems a lot faster then my built-in converter/charger.  But I figure if it's fast, there ought to be a drawback.

Marc,

The upgrade I purchased set me back $120 (the Centurion CS 3000 Replacement).

The smart charger I was looking at previously with half the DC amp output was the Schauer JAC1212 $100.

Mike

Automotive style "Smart" chargers are usually two stage at best. Basically they start out at a constant amp rate and pushes it til the battery is nearly full charge  and then  shifts to a float (trickle) mode. I couldn't tell from the Eliminator specs what methods of regulation it uses, so anything I said would be conjecture.

A three stage charger use a constant amp rate for a while (bulk charge) and then switches to constant voltage with a tapering amp rate (acceptance charge ) and then finishes with float mode. This keeps the charger in tune with the abtteries ability to accept charging.
To learn more about the differences, see http://www.donrowe.com/battery_charger/samlex_document.html

The Centurion 3000 Upgrade ought to speed your charging quite a bit. You still have the problem if getting from 80% charge to 100%, though. Once the battery reaches about 80% of capacity, it simply won't accept electricity at more than a trickle.

Gary,

You mentioned in a previous post on my thread that most dry-camp RVers use their gennys to bring their batteries up to about 80% and then draw back down to 50% to minimize recharge time with the genny (for me hopefully only 2-3 hours).  I would like to do the same thing for up to five days (with the primary draw down occurring over night with the electric fan on the heater).  I would then plan on plugging into 110 v once home and bring the battery up to 100% on stage three.  Any potential problems with this plan?

Mike

fshrvmn said:
Gary,

You mentioned in a previous post on my thread that most dry-camp RVers use their gennys to bring their batteries up to about 80% and then draw back down to 50% to minimize recharge time with the genny (for me hopefully only 2-3 hours).  I would like to do the same thing for up to five days (with the primary draw down occurring over night with the electric fan on the heater).  I would then plan on plugging into 110 v once home and bring the battery up to 100% on stage three.  Any potential problems with this plan?

Mike

Worked for me for 6 weeks this winter.  Rare use of furnace. Normally ran genny for about an hour mid day when the voltage fell to 12.2.  Then a couple of hours at night while we did supper & TV.  Repeat until time to go home.

Joel

I would then plan on plugging into 110 v once home and bring the battery up to 100% on stage three.  Any potential problems with this plan?

Nope, none at all. 50% charge is equivalent to about 12.0v in an open circuit measurement (no load on battery) or around 11.7-11.8v with modest load running. 80% is about 12.5v unloaded and a bit less with a load. Measurements are made with the charger OFF.

There is a battery charge table somewhere in the forum library. It shows percentage of charge vs voltage and specific gravity.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom