Do you turn off the Hot Water Heater when traveling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LK23

Do you turn the 110 volt Hot Water Heater off when traveling?  When disconnected from shore power, my Hot Water Heater switch is illuminated when on.  I usually turn it off when traveling.  Lately, I have questioned this practice since there is no 110 volt service when traveling.  Maybe I should leave it on so I don't forget to turn it on at the next destination.

Perhaps it is running off the inverter????

No need to have hot water heater on if you have hot water from the engine radiator running through the heater core in the hot water heater.

Wendell

When we unhook at a campsite, our inverter takes over for our 110v needs. However, the hot water heater is not wired into the inverter so, without power and with only the 110v selected for heat source, it shuts off. We normally turn it off manually before unhooking however so don't know if it comes back on automatically at reconnect. I prefer turning it off before unhooking since I am not sure what kind of power I will be getting at my next stop and don't want to stress the breakers when I plug in and maybe have too much of a power need.

We never turn off the water heater switch, traveling or parked.  It's only powered from shore power or generator, so no harm in leaving it on.  It should not be powered from the inverter, it's too big of a load.  But since your stays lit, I would guess it is powered from the inverter so you should turn it off when not on shore or generator power.  Does it go out if you shut down the inverter with no shore or generator power?

We try to make a practice of turning it off when we unhook from shore power, but don't worry about it if we forget. It's not a "must do" item in our routine.

The reason we usually turn it off is that we don't always know what power, if any, we will have at the next stop. If we overnight in a friends yard or have no hook-ups at all, we probably want the heater off or on propane. If we knew we were going to be in an RV park with 30A or 50A shore power, I might well leave it on so it is ready to go at the next stop. No big deal either way, in my opinion.

Our switch is lit whenever the switch is on. The switch is powered by 12v and operates a relay that actually turns the heater on.

Rex - we learned the hard way to never touch the switch - it was bath time and there was no hot water.  The only time the switch is off is when we're not using the RV.

We turn ours off but may change that because we've forgotten to turn it back on.

One thing unsaid thus far:  I always turn the power off at the campground breaker before plugging or unplugging.  Given that, I see no need to turn the water heater off.

Joel

If your switch is like ours it's a standard style 110VAC switch with internal neon light that's powered from the 110.  In this case, if it stays lit when on batteries, it's powered from the inverter.

If your switch is like Gary's and just switches 12VDC to a relay, then the heater won't be on even if the light is lit if you don't have shore or generator power.

We do just as Joel does and leave it on all the time and don't worry about it.

With my Wonderful Winnie, our hot water is heated from the engine while traveling so when we stop there is always hot water. Even if we forget to turn the switch on after we get hooked up. I didn't know it until last year, but if we want faster recovery we can turn the electric and propane on at the same time.....

Our ho****er heater is an atwood and only works on propane, I took the liberty and hood up an aftermarket electric rod. I believe when travelling I just flip the swith on the hot water heater and the unit will not light untill I switch it back.

Gary

Perhaps its a different design, on our previous RV we were told to turn the 110 heater off when not needed and at night, I've been doing the same thing with our Sightseer.  I thought it had to do with the heaters not turning off and causing the valve (drawing a blank on the exact name) to leak water out.

At least one thing I know is the Coach motoraid heater keeps the RV warm and the water hot whiled driving without running the LP or 110.

I only turn my hot water heater on about 15 minutes prior to a shower and then turn it off after the shower. 

I am continually amazed at the arcane procedures and reasons that spring up about RVing. All RV water heaters work just like your home water heater. A thermostat controls the water temperature and it cycles on/off as needed.  There is no need and little value in turning it off except for extended periods. Especially when running on campground electric.

John,

Thanks for the reply.  That is the answer I was seeking.  I will leave the switch on.  Even though the light is illuminated it is only operating when on shore power.

RV Roamer said:
I am continually amazed at the arcane procedures and reasons that spring up about RVing. All RV water heaters work just like your home water heater. A thermostat controls the water temperature and it cycles on/off as needed.  There is no need and little value in turning it off except for extended periods. Especially when running on campground electric.

I turn mine off because I only need hot water when I shower and there is no reason to have it run 24/7 when I am only going to be using it for 10 minutes a day. I never hook up to shore power so it is always running on propane and I see no reason to waste the propane.

I usually leave 120 volt heater on when camped (unless I'm paying by the watt of course) simply because that way I've hot water on demand

Gas is only used when I need LOTS of hot or don't have 120 and need hot, else it's off  WHY.. Well, I pay for gas by the unit, (Pick a unit, gallon is the one on the pump)

Interesting reading, this will sound like a dumb question on this subject but how do you turn off the hot water heater. Is it just a breaker in the inverter panel or is there another switch.  My unit is a 2001 Keystone TT which seems to have an elec element but also gas heat. I can't figure out how to get it to work, I flipped the breaker, turned on the gas, but nothing. I do not have an owner's manual so I am at a loss. tks.

Back
Top Bottom