Do you turn off the Hot Water Heater when traveling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's not a dumb question, but all I have is a dumb answer  :D

My Horizon has two switches in our main cluster of knobs/switches/dials/gauges/mission control - one switch turns the electric element off/on and the other switch is off/on for gas.  Where or how yours is operated I wouldn't have a clue.  Is the manufacturer still in business so you could give them a call?

There are many different ways.. On MY coach, there are a pair of well labeled switches one for electric, one for gas, and it's that simple

Some you flip a breaker, or pull a plug or flip a switch that is not always well labeled

On some you twist a gas valve

And I'm sure that does not cover them all

Regarding the red "ON" switch for electric operation of the HWw - the indicator light in the switch is on 12vdc power.  When the switch is "ON" a 12vdc circuit is activated to send a signal to the HWH controller and that in turn activates the 110vac element in the tank.  There probably is a wiring schematic of the HWH circuits on a paper stuck to the HWH door.

the indicator light in the switch is on 12vdc power

True for some, but not all.  Our electric element is controlled by a standard style wall switch with an integral neon indicator lamp.  No 12VDC involved as the switch controls a 110VAC outlet next to the water heater into which the electric element is plugged in.

Well, another mystery....

In reply #3 above, there is a smiley (frowney)....

I don't use those things.

I wonder where it came from?  Perhaps the same place the red light on my electric water switch came from when I had unplugged the shore power (house power) in the driveway.  That was why I thought the electric water heater ran powered by the inverter.  I didn't even check the current draw on that system.

A good reason to turn off the water heater is that we turn off the water pumper while under way.  Valves have a strange way of opening up while jostling down the highway.  Just part of my routine brought over from my trailer days.

Wendell

Wendell, the smiley was because you entered 3 consecutive ? like this ???  It's shorthand like : ) (without the space) is for :)

What Ned said, although you actually entered 4 ?'s. 3 of them were interpreted by the forum software as  ???, so the end result was????

Thanks, Guys...

Live and learn.  I better stick to standard punctuation.

.... .. (LOL in Samuel Morse's language, as extended by traditional ham CW operation)

Wendell

PS  I still turn off the water heater switches while under way.

Ned said:
True for some, but not all.  Our electric element is controlled by a standard style wall switch with an integral neon indicator lamp.  No 12VDC involved as the switch controls a 110VAC outlet next to the water heater into which the electric element is plugged in.
The OP was in regard to a Winnebago product.  I was simply responding as to the configuration of a unit made by Winnebago. 

I cannot speak for other manufacturers.

We turn on the gas or electric heater on about 30 minutes and turn if off after our showers. No sense in leaving them on if you are not going to being be using hot water.

.. ..-.  .-- .  .- .-.. .-..  - -.-- .--. . -..  .. -.  -.-. --- -.. .  .-.. .. -.- .  - .... .. ...  .-- .  -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. -. .----. -  -. . . -..  - ---  .-- --- .-. .-. -.--  .- -... --- ..- -  ..-. .- -. -.-. -.--  .--. ..- -. -.-. - ..- .- - .. --- -.

;D

When we are hooked up to electric, we leave the electric heater switch on, as the thermostat controls the temperature.  When I turn on the hot water faucet, I want hot water to come out.  Turning the switch off to "save something" doesn't make sense to me....it doesn't hurt it one bit leaving it on.

Now, when driving, our engine heats the water in our water heater, so we have nice piping hot water when we arrive to our destination, and when we hook up, I flip on the electric switch so it STAYS hot.  ;D

I know what Jeff said.......... He said....

.. ..-.  .-- .  .- .-.. .-..  - -.-- .--. . -..  .. -.  -.-. --- -.. .  .-.. .. -.- .  - .... .. ...  .-- .  -.-. --- ..- .-.. -.. -. .----. -  -. . . -..  - ---  .-- --- .-. .-. -.--  .- -... --- ..- -  ..-. .- -. -.-. -.--  .--. ..- -. -.-. - ..- .- - .. --- -.
;D

lol..  punctuation may not be a problem, but spelling could be a problem. ;)

Translation: if we all typed in code like this we couldn't need to worry about fancy punctuation.

Hope I did that right.

carson

This was discussed in a previous thread, and as I stated then, We turn ours on first thing In the AM .  By the time I get my coffee (I do not function without at least two cups of coffee) the water is hot to shower.  We turn it off to save propane. We will turn it on again for supper dishes and then turn It off again. I do not want it on during the night because it is in a colset about a foot from my head and i have been woken up to many times a 2:L00 AM

Tony

tswms said:
This was discussed in a previous thread, and as I stated then, We turn ours on first thing In the AM .  By the time I get my coffee (I do not function without at least two cups of coffee) the water is hot to shower.  We turn it off to save propane. We will turn it on again for supper dishes and then turn It off again. I do not want it on during the night because it is in a colset about a foot from my head and i have been woken up to many times a 2:L00 AM

I'm hitting on seven cylinders (out of eight) with three cups.  We're good for the day with about five cups.  Back in the corporate world, the coffee was free, I was a sipper for nine-ten hours a day  ::)

Our water heater on electric is silent, so it is on 100% of the time.

John,

Before I retired I used to say I drank one cup of coffee a day.,  I filled it at 8:00 and refilled every 15-30 min all day untill I left at 5-6 PM.
If it got cold just warm it up.

Tony

if his mh is a winnie I believe the red switch will light any time it is turned on but the hot water will only work when gen is running or hooked up to shore power. The red switch will light up just to let you know the switch is turned on . The switch is powered by 12 volts dc.  If you turn it on while running down the road the only hot water you will get is from the motoraid.  I believe if you contact winnie they will tell you the same.

Back
Top Bottom