Getting 110 v outlets functional

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fshrvmn

Hello, I have a few questions about the 110 v outlets in my pop up trailer:

1.  They do not work unless I am plugged into an external source of 110 v from my 30 amp cord.  Is this normal?
2.  If they ARE supposed to work and draw from my house 12 v battery which works just fine (as does the 12 v lighting, etc.), then what might be the problem?
3.  If they are NOT supposed to work unless plugged into an external source of 110 v can I install a small inverter to draw from my house battery to run small loads?
4.  Finally, where is the best place to connect the inverter to the 12 v battery?  Can I do it somewhere from the on-board converter-charger or do I have to go directly to the battery and run cables into the trailer?

Thanks ahead of time.  I joined the RV Forum yesterday and have already had a wealth of valuable information given to me.

Mike

The job of an inverter is to take 12 volts and invert it to 110 volts. If you have an inverter then you should have 110 volts. If you have an inverter and you don't have 110 volts you need to see if it is turned on and if it is functioning correctly. If you don't have an inverter and you want to power your 110 volt items then you need to buy an inverter and add it. Follow the instructions to find the place to install it.

Your 110 volt receptacles will not work unless plugged into a source of 110 volts.  Campground or generator.

You can install a small inverter to run off your batteries.  It should be installed as close to the battery as practical and with as large gauge wire as possible. (needs to be installed out of the elements)

The rule of thumb on inverter installation is to keep the DC cables as short as possible and run an extension cord (110 volt) to the load if required.

I have a friend who has a pop up.  It has a D.C. power converter located under one of the dining room bench seates.  All 12 volt wiring for lights etc. emenate from there.  The purpose of the 12 volt converter is to serve as a distribution & fuse panel for the 12 volts.  It also converts 110 volt A.C. to 12 volt D.C. when he is plugged into shore power.

He installed a 12 volt cigerette lighter recepticle in the side of the bench seat.  When necessary he plugs a little 300 watt inverter into it for use on CPAP, etc.  I think if I were going to do it I would consider mounting the inverter inside the box near the converter and wiring it to a dedicated 110 volt A.C. recepticle.  If this were done it might be a good idea to include a switch to kill the inverter when not needed. 

Geo.. You are close... The purpose of the CONVERTER is to provide 12 volts for battery charging and 12 volt operations (lights, pumps etc)

The purpose of the fuse panel is distribution

In SOME rigs, they are integrated, in many they are not.. My converter is a good 10 to fifteen feet from the fuse panel.  ... Both of 'em in fact (I have 2 converters)
the fuse panel is about midway between them. 

Most converter companies make both stand alone and integrated.. Just so you know.

When I make converters. (And I do, for personal use) they are stand alones

John From Detroit said:
Geo.. You are close... The purpose of the CONVERTER is to provide 12 volts for battery charging and 12 volt operations (lights, pumps etc)  The purpose of the fuse panel is distribution

In SOME rigs, they are integrated, in many they are not.. My converter is a good 10 to fifteen feet from the fuse panel.  ... Both of 'em in fact (I have 2 converters) the fuse panel is about midway between them. 

John, as you are so fond of saying... "just so you know", the typical Pop-up power distribution panel is an integrated converter and fuse/circuit breaker panel mounted under the dinette table just as George said.

The typical pop-up also comes sans battery.  Available as an option.......

In the average pop-up, if the converter and distribution panel were 15' apart, one of them would be in the neighbors camp site. ;D

Back
Top Bottom