Vectra/Tour models

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoopers2

I am considering buying a 2004 or 2005 winnebago.

At my price point, I can get either a Vectra or Tour.

I noticed on the 2004 Vectra, it was a 350 HP diesel.  On the 2005, the 400 HP diesel was put in.  Any thoughts on this?  Seems 350 HP would be plenty.

Any issues with 2004 or 2005 I should be aware of?

Sounds like a leaky bedroom slide is one problem.

Other comments?
Thanks, Dave.

You want the engine with the most torque - the horsepower is not a big concern. I think in 2004 the 350 hp engine was the ISL with a torque rating of 1050 ft-lbs, according to Cummins specs. The ISL 370 and ISL 400 engines  were rated at 1200 ft lbs of torque, which will give you substantially better hill climbing capability. The 2005 would have the ISL 400 engine.

Dave - 2004 was the first model year (first units probably built sometime in 2003) for the Vectra/Horizon on the Evolution chassis.  With some early production units, there was a frame flexing problem which manifested itself with a crack in the sidewall at the corner of some windows.  Winnie added some frame stiffeners which solved the problem.  Those units that had the crack problem got new sidewalls (Winnebago takes pretty good care of their owners.)

As far as the bedroom slide leak - it could happen on a Tour or a Vectra.

The engine - torque is what gets you up the hill.  I seriously doubt if you could notice the difference in a Cummins ISL 370, 400, 420 HP engines.  The 2004 might have the Cat 350 - not sure what the torque is of that one.  I have a friend with a 2004 Vectra with the Cat and he likes it very much.

When you go up to the Vectra/Horizon model, you get independent front suspension (IFS) and you have the advantage of a little better handling on rough roads (no 'bump-steer') - on the Interstates (okay, on the good Interstate highways), I doubt if you would notice a difference between IFS and straight-axle front ends.

I'm saving the best for last...

Side radiator!

Up to I think the 2007 or 2008 model year of the Vectra/Horizon, you get a side radiator with a hydraulically driven fan.  Side radiator means less money when you need your engine serviced.  It also means you don't have the problem of a rear radiator needing religious cleaning or suffer consequences.  You need to clean a side radiator, but it doesn't have the dirt collection problem a rear radiator has.

John,

I have a  2004 Horizon mfg. in mid to late 2003. I have not had any cracks to date but is it something I should be concerned about? Can Winne add the stiffeners as a precaution if I foot the bill? Thanks for any info.

Pete

Dave -

I have a 2004 Vectra 40KD with the 350 engine, which is a Cummins.  That was the largest of the 3 engine options for that model/year.

Mine has a bit more juice as the original owner installed a Banks system, but I can assure you it will move right along.  I regularly tow a Honda Accord on a Roadmaster tow dolly and don't notice it's there, even on the large hills in western PA.  Haven't tried it in the Rockies but I think you will be very satisfied.  The airbag suspension and IFS give a nice ride.  I also had Koni shocks installed but that was a personal preference from prior experience with a Class A gasser.

Be sure to check the maint records from the prior owner... make sure all the standard PM (oil etc) has been done on schedule. 

One other thing to check/consider - mine had only one fuel filter installed and I had a problem with a plugged fuel pump, so I had a 2nd pre-filter installed, which is the way many other models now have as standard.

You can download the original product brochures for the various Winne models from their web site, as well as a lot of diagrams, parts lists etc.

Ed 

Thanks everyone for the input.
I've run into another question concerning floorplans.

I've found two 2004 Winnebagos, which are pretty much the same except.

Motorhome A:  25000 miles, two owners so far, the "perfect floor" plan for me.  Plus, this motorhome has every bell and whistle option available.  Somebody went all out when they bought this MH.  Some maint records, but not all.

Motorhome B: 3500 miles, one owner who has barely used it, but the floorplan is not quite what I wanted.  ....Very nice motorhome, but really no upgrades or options.  All maint records, the MH sits most of the time in a garage.

Both units have been kept in a garage, and otherwise, at least from what I can tell, have no other issues.

I've never owned a motorhome, but have always owned a trailer or fifth wheel.  My plan/hope is to use the MH approximately 1-4 - 1/2 time, so I wont be a fulltimer.

It seems Motorhome B will be the better buy, especially when it comes time to sell it.  But I really like Motorhome A from a livability standpoint.  If milage was the same, MH B would be my first choice. 
How important is floorplan when using an RV?  What would the experienced MH'er buy?  How important are miles in the long run?  I think it is only a matter of resale, which at the time, is an important factor.

Opinions appreciated!

It would be helpful if you could tell us exactly what models "A" and "B" are.  This is like asking us - I've looked these two cars, what do you think?

Are the prices the same?  I would be more concerned about a coach with only 700 miles a year vs. one with 5000 miles a year.  25000 miles shows it's been used which is much better than sitting.  Floorplan is very important.  Little things at first can become real annoyances over time.

Give us more information to go on as John asks.

Hi John,

My question was probably too obtuse.  Sorry.  I am shopping for a motorhome, and I see lots of floorplans out there....maybe this is just a comment, more than a question....I dont know how much a floorplan is worth.  Are some more desirable than others, I dont know.

There are one or two veeery low milage motorhomes out there for sale, for cheap prices (some people dumping motorhomes)....just figuring out how much a really low milage motorhome is worth in the long run, vs getting something that fits your needs more, but with more miles....I saw the one post that sitting motorhomes can be a bad thing....

I like the 2004 Vectra floorplan AD, since it does not have the two couches, but has a TV/china cabinet in its place...I dont think I need two couches.  There are just two of us.

I like the TV at eye level and being across from the one couch..... versus being overhead the driver's chairs seen on so many motorhomes.  It seems like a better setup to have the TV more at eyelevel.

I've found a 2004 vectra AD in my price range, and it has 25000 miles on it....  But I see other 40' winnebagos with lower miles, but none of them are the AD floorplan.  I probably need to study the floorplans a little closer.  In the used market, its hard to be too picky.  You have to buy whats available.....

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/previous-models/2004/pdfs/winnebago/04-Vectra-bro.pdf

I looked at the 2005 Horizon AD floorplan, and it seems to have a china cabinet setup also, though from the brochure, it does look different than the 2004 Vectra AD

http://www.winnebagoind.com/products/previous-models/2005/pdfs/itasca/05-Horizon-bro.pdf

Actually I would be more leery of a four or five year-old unit with only four or five thousand miles than one with higher mileage.  I have about 44,000 miles on my '05 Horizon and it is in great shape and ready to go for many more years (not sure about us, though  ;D.)  We have taken superb care of the coach and it has always had Freightliner or Cummins (or Winnie) do the service on the engines or chassis.  Equipment needs to be run - my saying is: "use it, or lose it."

If you find the floor plan you like, do not  let 30-50k miles put you off (assuming the owner can furnish good maintenance records.)  Be aware that a 2004 or older model will be a candidate for tire replacement at five to seven years of tire age (check the date code on the tire.)

We love the TV on the side which is a primary reason why we settled on the AD floor plan.

25,000 miles on a diesel is barely broken in.  I would much prefer the higher mileage unit in this case.  As I said, the floorplan is much more important than the mileage, especially on a diesel.  Unless you can get service records to show otherwise, I would plan on replacing all belts, fluids, and filters, as well as possibly the tires as John has mentioned.

I would definitely go with motorhome A. Floorplan is everything, the mileage difference is meanless in this case. As everyone says, a motorhome is better off being used than sitting.

Go with whichever floorplan suits you and your co-driver.  As stated, 25K is nothing on a diesel .  .  . their predicted service life is over 300K.  Personally, I prefer the 40KD, because of the king bed - but we didn't wind up with one of those ('05 Vectra 36RD, instead). 

You never really specified, but the only deal breaker on either coach, for me, would be a CAT engine.  I've had all 3 majors; CAT, Cummins, MB.  All were powerful and reliable - but the CAT gets noticeably worse fuel economy. 

I have a 2005 Vectra 40FD with the 350 HP CAT.  Works well for me.
The floorplan is the one we really wanted and we love it.  It's not a racecar.
Gets us around and up and down.

got a 06TourFD with a 350Cat runs great, gets 6.5-7 average, but I don't run 55mph either ;D Floorplan,engine,color in that order for me would make the choice. :)

Back
Top Bottom