Need help with Rhino-Flex drain hose leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmsboss1

This is about as low tech as it gets, but didn't see anywhere else to post it........

I am the proud new owner of a couple of Rhino-Flex sewer hoses.  I really like the way the hoses compress so that they don't take up so much space when stored and how I can extend just the right length when we're close to the sewer connection.

What I don't like and need help with is that both hoses leak from the connector that attaches to the motorhome sewer connection.  Not a lot, just a drip, drip, drip, and that's too much!

I disassembled the hose/connector assembly and reassembled it as fully and tightly as possible, but still, drip, drip, drip!

My next plan was to run a bead of sealant around the end of the hose where it is inside the connector, because it seems that the only place for the water to get out is to get between the connector and the hose and follow it to the outside.

Before I proceed with that, I thought i'd ask if anyone else has had this problem and if there are other solutions.

Thanks.

Don

Ok I have to ask. Are you sure that the leak is at the hose / fitting connection? Seems unlikely being that there isn't any pressure and that it is usually downhill at that point. I am wondering if the problem is at the mating surface of the connector and valve, and that the drip is from the liquid running down to the area you speak of... hitting the hose and dripping off. I would put my gloved finger at a point higher than the hose / fitting area and see if the drip changes. Of course I could be wrong here, but worth a look-see.

If it is at the connection you speak of then removing the hose from the connector, applying some sealer then reinstalling and clamping the hose, should take care of it.

I haven't looked closely at a Rhino, but most connectors have an O ring which forms the actual seal between the connector and the drain outlet. Yours may be out of position, nicked or whatever. Or even missing - I found one of mine lying on the ground next to the coach one day.

Thanks, Gary and regularguy --  Checked your suggestions and problem not solved yet.

The Rhino-Flex people's "different idea" is to provide the connector with threads on the inside of the tube that connects to the hose.  The hose "screws" its way up these threads on the inside of the connector. Then, there is a "collar" that "screws" up over the the hose and tightens against the connector keeping the hose from unscrewing from the connector.  As the water passes through the fitting and the hose it appears that the water gets between the hose (on the outside of the hose) and the connector and works its way down the threads and drips.  Thus, the sealant I'm thinking of applying would be on the inside of the connector around the top of the hose, preventing the water from getting behind (on the outside) of the hose.

Any thoughts on the type of sealant I should use?

Thanks.

Don

I misunderstood, Don. I thought the connector was leaking where it attaches to the coach. Yours, I gather, leaks where the Rhino hose screws on to the Rhino bayonet connector.

Right, Gary.  It seems to come out the bottom of the bayonet connector, which in the case of Rhino-Flex is on the outside of the hose.

Can it still be a "bayonet" if it is on the outside of the hose?  :D

Surprised at how old this inquiry is, it is now 2017 and I can say that we just got a new Rhino Flex and it has the same leaking issue. Very disappointed.

Jim

gmsboss1 said:
This is about as low tech as it gets, but didn't see anywhere else to post it........

I am the proud new owner of a couple of Rhino-Flex sewer hoses.  I really like the way the hoses compress so that they don't take up so much space when stored and how I can extend just the right length when we're close to the sewer connection.

What I don't like and need help with is that both hoses leak from the connector that attaches to the motorhome sewer connection.  Not a lot, just a drip, drip, drip, and that's too much!

I disassembled the hose/connector assembly and reassembled it as fully and tightly as possible, but still, drip, drip, drip!

My next plan was to run a bead of sealant around the end of the hose where it is inside the connector, because it seems that the only place for the water to get out is to get between the connector and the hose and follow it to the outside.

Before I proceed with that, I thought i'd ask if anyone else has had this problem and if there are other solutions.

Thanks.

Don

A thin layer of vaseline or plumbers lube will fix your issue.  The end that is leaking is it still round?  Has it been stepped on or flattened somehow?  Twisting on the fitting requires that the hose be round like the fitting if there are to be no leaks. 

One of my brand new Rhino-Flex hoses is doing the EXACT same thing. Will try your suggested fixes and report. I am extremely dissatisfied with this product. My old cheap ones have NEVER had a similar problem in over 40 years of RVing (although the hoses failed from time to time, once in spectacular fasion). DON'T ASK.  :eek:

I just got a new hose yesterday.  It has instructions taped to the those saying that the connectors have not been tightened and giving instructions for doing so.  Basically you back the lock ring off, then turn the connector till it is tight, then use the lock ring to make it snug. 

Having said that, I had one that wanted to drip.  I took it apart, and put plumber's grease on the connector and tightened it back up.  Stopped the leak.

I have taken the connector appart, inspected and re installed it. Very slight improvement. I have no p[lumbers grease available at the moment, but will apply more than was originally installed as soon as I can.
It appears the end of the hose is not trimmed evenly. It may be that fact that is allowing the "water" to get between the hose and the connector and then run down the outside of the hose. More to follow...

My Hose History.
Started with Camco, plus the el-cheapo the dealer tossed in at the sale (May 2005)
Usually used the Camco save for very rare occasions where the dealer hose was just the right length
Got a Rinoflex... And then another Rinoflex... Never lived up to the hype in my opinion,,,

NOTE: a product called GOOP is fantastic for pin hole leaks.. Sticks to most everything (Fingers included) peals off fairly easily if you want it to, not so easily if you don't... Imperfious to most, if not all, of what goes down the hose.

Finally got a Tethford Smart Hose (no longer made) very nice, But the hose has "Cam lock" ends and comes with adapters that initally were the devil to lock on... Later uses were easier.. .LOST a part however (The screw 9into the ground part)

NOTE.. It too developed a pin hole leak but that may have been MY FAULT.. long story and only suspect. Again, GOOPED it.

NOTE 2: This hose (and the net) do not collasp as much as others I've had.. In myu 9 Foot fence post I can only put one 15 (or 20 perhaps) foot Smart hose (or the next one) I can not put both of 'em in one post (more on that later.

Since I lost the outlet (nozzle) end I wound cutting the cam lock off htat part and adding a male bayonet fitting

Called Tethford trying to get a new scrw in part.. No joy but they told me they would send me "The Sentenal" hose free,, Seems there 9is a silent recall on the smart hose.

Got it. On this the hose is teh same as the smart hose but no cam locks

The female (RV) end is different, instead of just the shore piece it is a fiarly long "Necked' piece giving a lot better grip for attaching and detaching.. The "Ground end" of the hose is a male bayonet and the screw in adapter has the female part.  (Which is what I 'm using now with the "Smart Hose" till I wear it out.

The Sentenal hose... is currently stored (Brand new) save for the ground adapter... In the box it came in.

Short of Drain master or Waste master.... (Over $100.00) the best hoses I've seen are these Tetford ones.

Oh Almost forgot..... The "El-Cheapo" free hose that came with the rig.....

When I blew the engine back in 2014.. Where the tow truck dropped me it was the EXACT length I needed... So for the next 3 years in the S.E. Ga Sun..... I occasionally put a dab or 2 of Goop on a leak.

And then when I next called the Tow truck to haul it to the shop for a replacement engine.

The hose shattered in my hands, I sweptd up the pieces and tossed both it and hte Slunky under it in the big metal box with the W/M logo on it for hte mob to dispose of.  But it did not leak save for a few small ones over the years.

Bobtop46 said:
A thin layer of vaseline or plumbers lube will fix your issue.  The end that is leaking is it still round?  Has it been stepped on or flattened somehow?  Twisting on the fitting requires that the hose be round like the fitting if there are to be no leaks.
:))

I have a Rhino hose that I bought at the Perry, GA RV show 16 or 17 years ago.  This is one that you put your own end fittings on.  Never had a problem and it is as good today as when new.  Last year I saw a good sale on a new Rhino hose as described here with the screw-on connector and locking collar.  I did see the note on the new hose and tightened it up.  Drip, drip, drip same as the ones on this thread.  I took it apart, put Vaseline on the hose end, screwed the connector on tight and tightened the locking collar as posted above and had no further dripping problems.

gmsboss1 said:
I am theproud new ownerof a couple of Rhino-Flex sewer hoses.
What I don't like and need help with is that both hoses leak from the connector that attaches to the motorhome sewer connection. 
I thought i'd ask if anyone else has had this problem and if there are other solutions.
Thanks.
Don

Don
I suggest you buy a different brand of sewer hose.
I've been using the various pieces and parts included in this "Sewer HoseKit" for 17 years and have never had a leak: http://www.prestofit.com/RVSanSubPages/UltimateSewerKit.html

Back
Top Bottom