Countdown to fulltiming...June 20th

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheNextBillGates

Hi everyone!

First let me say thank you for being so helpful over the years. I've asked questions and received excellent answers as I worked with my father to fix up our old Winnie that we used for camping.

Well, my love for camping has led me to go full time! I'll be getting married on June 20th and we'll hit the road from there.

Here's what we've got so far. I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts/suggestions:

- Purchased 2005 Winnie Adventurer 38J for $65k (a good deal, no?)
- Will be rigging the 2008 Honda CRV for towing (lights, brake system) probably with Blue Ox.
- Created Montana LLC for purchase to avoid (not evade) taxes. Used Bennett Law Firm.

The kicker is insurance. I had to get a policy in place ASAP so I could sign all the purchase docs. Here's what I'm paying through RV Insurance America via National Interstate:

Full 250/500/250 coverage
Continental Car Club
100k property damage
5k medical
uninsured/underinsured 250/500
$1000 deductible for collision and comprehensive
Diminishing Deductable
Emergency Vaca Expense (hotel rooms if rig is damaged)
Full Timer's medical and liability 250/500
$5k personal effects
Purchase price guarantee (loss means full purchase price payout)

That's running me $1700 a year...granted I'm only 26 but no accidents.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on the above and any 'hey, don't forget about this!' kind of stuff. I'll be looking through the forums as well.

Thanks!!

Hey, June 20th is my 61st birthday. I would add an extended warranty. I got a 4 year on mine and it almost paid for itself in the first month. Sounds like you are going to have a blast. I know I could never live in a stick and mud place again.

Sounds like you are well on your way to joining the RV Lifestyle. Hope your bride is as enthusiastic as you are!

Congratulations on the new wife and the new coach!!!

Thanks!!

As for the extended warranty - I'm in luck. The owner is transferring his warranty good until 2011.

Do you guys think that policy above is overpriced given my age? I thought about going with a more basic auto style protection for about $1000 a year and maybe getting umbrella coverage to protect me from the rest...

Oh, and it's actually the bride's choosing...I threw out the idea as a joke and she ran with it...now she wouldn't have it any other way! We're heading out tomorrow to pick up the coach.

Frankly the $1700 price sounds high for a coach valued at $65k, but it is very difficult to compare insurance prices because there are so many variables, e.g. state of registration, valuation, driving record, credit rating, etc.  National Interstate is usually very competitive on motorhome policies, but did you shop around?

Your coverages don't look to be unusually high, so that's not what is driving the price up.

I would drop the Continental Car Club, though, and buy a separate RV Road Service from Coach-Net or Good Sam or Camping World. It will cost you more but you will have useful emergency roadside assistant. The Continental Car Club does not have a good reputation for handling large vehicles like a motorhome.  Here is one report: http://www.upscalerv.com/continental.htm

Your base liablity premium should bottom out at age 25 for a male, so you should be fine.  Remember, you're fulltiming, so that is your personal liablility policy as well.  When in doubt, have it quoted by multiple agents.  An insurance policy is only a binding contract from the insurer's end; you can break that contract at any time and switch carriers.  All you have to do is call your old agent/carrier and they will send you a Loss Policy Release (LPR) to sign.  Always have your new insurance in-force when cancelling your old insurance.  You don't want any lapse in coverage.  Your previous carrier is obligated to refund your unused premium.

Congrats!  We have been full timing for 10 months now and love it.  So give us an update!!!

Greg

Well, we're full-timing but haven't gone anywhere yet! The washer is in the shop (has been for about 2 weeks) and they still can't figure out the problem. As soon as we get that back we're hittin' the road. Probably the Lake George area for a while since I have some business to tend to in the city.

As for the insurance, I canned the stated insurance and got Geico. Then I canned Geico and went with Gilbert. I'm now at about $1300/yr for a 250/500 policy and fulltimer's liability. That includes a 15% penalty because I'm an inexperienced RV owner. So that should drop off after about a year. Deductible is $1000 but I have diminishing deductibles.

Back
Top Bottom