1st. trip out!!! in our new Motor Home going to arizona where to stay ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brens

This will be our 1st. trip in our new 2007 sightseer Winnebago 29r. I got a ticket about 2 months ago when we went to Arizona to look at a Motor Home,We did not buy that Motor Home but now I have to go back to try to fight the ticket. They had taken my picture! We live in so. cal. So it is about a 5 hour drive in a car. I don't know how much longer in a Motor Home but I think I will be going the speed limit this time! We are going to leave Wed. night around 5:00 I have to be at Maricopa County Court at 9:30 on Thurs. Any ideas for our first time out where we could stay Wed. night ? We are going to stay till Sun. So any ideas would be appreciated. Also we are going to change the oil,ck all fluids, the tires. The Motor home was not used that much due to illness. The unit has only 5600 miles on it. The last time he took it out was a year ago and also had the oil changed at that time. Any other things that we should be looking at? Thanks and I will post pictures when we get back!

Maricopa county is a large county, where is the courthouse you will be appearing at?  I doubt you'll have a problem getting a campsite in any campground this time of year in that area.

First, as Ned says, Maricopa County is larger than a couple of states. Which court? Your best bet would probably be to stay on the west side, as you come into the Phoenix metropolitan area. Cotton Lane RV Park in Goodyear is probably your best bet.

However, if you do a little research, you may find that you don't have to fight the ticket, just ignore it. IIRC, you must be hand served with the summons and I don't believe that AZ is enforcing the tickets for out of staters. Check it out, you may be off the hook. NO GUARANTEES that this is correct.

If you got a ticket in AZ then beware of speeding in your home state of CA.  When those highway signs says trucks and trailers have a maximum speed of 55 mph the law says motorhomes are included in the 55 mph category and ignorance of the law is no excuse.

ArdraF

Motorhomes are included in CA only if towing.  The 55mph speed limit is for any vehicle towing any trailer.  Not towing, the higher speed limit applies.

Thanks for catching that Ned.  I wasn't clear.  You're correct.

ArdraF

Ned said:
Motorhomes are included in CA only if towing.  The 55mph speed limit is for any vehicle towing any trailer.  Not towing, the higher speed limit applies.

Does a toad count as a trailer? Is it towing anything that kicks in the 55 mph speed limit?

Yes, anything that's towed, even a toad :)

My ticket was for 65 in the #2 of a 3 lane freeway with a samurai in tow. It cost me $475 and a boring day in trafic school. It was 110 in Moreno valley that day so I asked the CHP if he wanted to come in and have a cold water in the AC. He did and wrote the ticket anyway :mad: I did get to ask lots of questions about this law while he was scribling away my money so I consider it an expensive schooling.

He said the law applies to any vehicle towing anything. He did say it did not include 2 axle private coaches but did include coaches over 2 axles (TAG axles) and comercial vehicles over 26000# regardless of the number of axles or towing. Officer Yurazlov also told me that while towing on a 2 lane freeway you must stay in the right lane  except to pass and you must not excede 55mph when passing. There is a time or milage limit to perform the pass too but he did not know the exact figure. same rules for a 3 lane freeway. on a 4+ lane you have the right 2 lanes to play with.

slow down and enjoy the veiw in ca

The Court is 100 North Apache Road Buckeye,AZ. My speed was 94 speed limit was 75 so I cant go to traffic school. I'm just going to try to get the speed reduced so I can do traffic school. I don't mind paying the fine , I was speeding  :mad:I just don't want it on my record.

Regarding the CA speed, I think the sign says 3 axles PERIOD, and that sign generally follows a speed limit sign. They have it very well marked.  Since I pull a 5'er I gnerally fined a CA truck going @ 60 and follow him. Best bet is to avoid CA and OR, if possible (or slow down)

brens said:
The Court is 100 North Apache Road Buckeye,AZ. My speed was 94 speed limit was 75 so I cant go to traffic school. I'm just going to try to get the speed reduced so I can do traffic school. I don't mind paying the fine , I was speeding  :mad:I just don't want it on my record.

If your ticket was photo radar, it won't appear on either your driving record or insurance record. The Buckeye court isn't very far away from the RV park I recommended, and since you will be going against traffic, you should be able to get there without speeding ;D

You just made my day!!!! The last thing I wanted was it to go on my record thanks and we will try that rv park out. This is why I love this site :) Oh and yes I will watch my speed ;)

Great news! We made the drive to Arizona! Our Motor Home did Great! We had no problems. The first night we stayed in a rest area,at first I was a little concerned but once I hit the pillow I was out. The 2ed night we drove back a little and found a campsite on the river. We fished and caught about 5 nice size catfish. Then we went to Salton sea and stayed there. We had such a great time. Good news!!!! I waited 2 hours to see the judge,when it was my turn he said that this was my day! The case was dismissed due to the controversy over the photo radar!!! Yep what a day we had 4 days of no work and no fines and a new Motor Home that was priceless!!!

Back
Top Bottom