Bob's new dSLR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bob Buchanan

Have recently purchased a new Canon 50D dSLR. Will be selling my Rebel XT. Can't afford both!!

My photo album is posted at this Url. Flickr.com reviews seemed to suit my needs a bit more than Picasa.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bob-bluecanon

Well I'll be - I didn't know the 50D even existed.  I've been loving my 30D enough that I took a pass with the 40D.  Maybe I'll have to check it out - after I get back home, that is.

Neat pics, Bob!

Congrats - I have been using the 50d since it came out last September and it is one fantastic camera. I am only a few days away from the Grand Canyon and I plan on shooting a lot of Condor shots with it. I have the 100-400 L lens to go with it  and a 32 gig CF card.

Nice photos, Bob!  Even recognize a few of the "mugs"....  That sun dog turned out really neat.

ArdraF

Bob,

I second Ardra.  As usual your photos are GREAT.

JerryF 

seilerbird said:
Congrats - I have been using the 50d since it came out last September and it is one fantastic camera. I am only a few days away from the Grand Canyon and I plan on shooting a lot of Condor shots with it. I have the 100-400 L lens to go with it  and a 32 gig CF card.

The biggest problem with using the 32 gig CF card is the possible loss of a lot of images if the card goes bad or gets damaged.  I personally don't use anything larger than 4 gigs and I carry several.

Bob:  Good move on the camera.  I spent a little time looking at your images, but found your filing a bit confusing.  It seems there are a lot of unrelated images in some of the albums, but I might be mistaken.  Good images though.  As Ardra said, the sun dog was really nice.

davemittan said:
I see a phone call to B&H or Canoga Camera in my crystal ball.......

Sorry about that, Dave -- guess my post is going to cost you a few bucks now.  :( :)

Not sure of what the 50 does over the 30 -- but did look at some side by sides with the 40D. From those it appears the case is about the same, but the innards are pretty much new stuff. CMOS is new -- allows more light in with less noise, the image processor is faster -- and has 15mp res. Wow!!

I'm big on higher resolution. With this puppy I can crop like crazy and still get an 11x14 solid print. But OTOH, note that it has both RAW and sRAW -- which let's you shoot RAW's at a lower res -- or about half the size of a full 15mp shot.

Another nice feature is a high res display. When shooting an event -- or whatever, it's nice to look at the last shot before moving on to the next to make sure it is "sharp". This is display allows going to the focus area and checking it out right after the shot vs. finding it looking fuzzy when you get it to the computer.

Anyway, thanks for the feed back . . .

seilerbird said:

Sounds like a fun time for you, Tom. I have a lot of reading to do with the manual, but have already gotten most of the basics down. Basic photography is still -- pretty basic.  :)

I found a 16gb CF card at Fry's for $29 last week that I'm trying for now. It's a bit slow (133), but I don't do a lot of fast shooting. Reading the specs on the 50D buffer, I would rarely fill it up and cause a need for a super fast card. So card speed is not an issue with me. I "do" like that I can now shoot at over 6 frames/second -- but would never see  the need for such continuous shooting beyond that in what I do.

Will look forward to seeing your good stuff from the Canyon!!

ArdraF said:
Nice photos, Bob!  Even recognize a few of the "mugs"....  That sun dog turned out really neat.

ArdraF

Thanks, Ardra!!!

Was just lucky to be holding my camera when the Sun Dog appeared. There were several over a couple of evenings there, but none as neat as that one.

And thanks for modeling with Nemo for me . . .  :) :)

Ron from Big D said:
Bob:  Good move on the camera.   I spent a little time looking at your images, but found your filing a bit confusing.  It seems there are a lot of unrelated images in some of the albums, but I might be mistaken.  Good images though.  As Ardra said, the sun dog was really nice.

Thank you Ron -- I appreciate your feedback. Perhaps some of my images are filed wrong -- as you know, setting up an on line album is a work in progress.  :) Let me know which ones you thing may be misfiled. Some I place in more than one Set -- as appropriate.

Flicker has SETs vs. Albums (plus Collections to group SETs) -- and a Photostream that is always displayed in the order images are uploaded. I play with that a bit by changing the date to force an image into a different Photostream position. It's nice that the Photostream thumbnails are larger than most, but still. one cannot enjoy photographic value until they look at a larger image. After clicking a thumbnail, the button above the image then allows for a full screen image (f11 in IE).

A neat little feature I like is applying "notes" to images. For example, the shot of David and his family or the QZ group picture or the Entrance to Arches frame. If you click the thumbnail to enlarge, then run the cursor over the image, the notes will appear. An image "with" notes will be so indicated under the image.

My Picassa images all have the capability of notes and they automatically show when the image is clicked on.  I haven't updated my site for quite a while.  I need to do that.  If I get some time, I'll spend some looking at your images again.

Bob Buchanan said:
Sorry about that, Dave -- guess my post is going to cost you a few bucks now.  :( :)

Not sure of what the 50 does over the 30 -- but did look at some side by sides with the 40D. From those it appears the case is about the same, but the innards are pretty much new stuff. CMOS is new -- allows more light in with less noise, the image processor is faster -- and has 15mp res. Wow!!

I'm big on higher resolution. With this puppy I can crop like crazy and still get an 11x14 solid print. But OTOH, note that it has both RAW and sRAW -- which let's you shoot RAW's at a lower res -- or about half the size of a full 15mp shot.

One of the biggest differences will be file size.  The 30D captures "only" 8 MP.  I shoot RAW exclusively (none of that sRAW stuff, thank you).  So I'd need more CF cards and more RAM on the 'puter.  Probably some better 'glass' to take advantage of the increased number of pixels.

I'm curious how much less noise the 50D has compared to the 30D.  Also how it does in burst mode - i.e, how the buffer handles RAW pics - how quickly, and how many.  Anyone know?  (Not that I'll be able to see replies soon - our wi-fi connection is shaky at this CG)

davemittan said:
One of the biggest differences will be file size.  The 30D captures "only" 8 MP.  I shoot RAW exclusively (none of that sRAW stuff, thank you).  So I'd need more CF cards and more RAM on the 'puter.  Probably some better 'glass' to take advantage of the increased number of pixels.

I'm curious how much less noise the 50D has compared to the 30D.  Also how it does in burst mode - i.e, how the buffer handles RAW pics - how quickly, and how many.  Anyone know?  (Not that I'll be able to see replies soon - our wi-fi connection is shaky at this CG)

OOPs, actually, there are 3 RAWs with the 50D. RAW, sRAW1, and sRAW2. If you shoot with RAW and no JPG, you get 15mp and your file size will be around 21meg per frame. sRAW1 shoots at 7.1mp and sRAW2 yields a 3.8mp image. If you add a JPG per image at 15mp, you add another 5 mb file per frame. Total flexibility there according to the event.

Not sure about the buffer noise, Dave, but all the reviews explain that the new CMOS allows more light with less noise - so doubt they would have a buffer that would add noise back in. I "did" find one article that tested ISO setting including the super high range (12,800) and found degrees of noise -- but that would be in a pretty dark setting that most would not shoot at anyway.

Ron from Big D said:
My Picassa images all have the capability of notes and they automatically show when the image is clicked on.   I haven't updated my site for quite a while.  I need to do that.  If I get some time, I'll spend some looking at your images again.

That's good -- I like the notes feature. I like the Comments feature which I'm sure you have as well. Non members can view comments whereas only members can  add comment exchanges.

And also, I believe you have a geotyped map as well. Note the pic of Ned and Lorna's rig. It should contain a Comment and a Map link. If you click the Map link, it takes you to a map showing the location that pic was taken -- and any other pics now on Flickr that have also been taken in that area. Sorta like the Datastorm location map - but with photos vs. RVs. If you click on the text link (something like View More I think) all the other pics will display in a Photostream.

And if someone clicks the Comment, another Group (Motorhomes) wants to dispaly that pic. If you go to that group Photostream, you will now find Ned and Lorn's rig pic on display. There are over 500 images there by various RVers who all have their own Photostream to share. And so forth, and so forth . . .

Anyway, stay in touch, my friend -- and don't eat too many Apple Fritters. I hope you and Jim Dick are planning QZ next spring. It would be nice to do more good stuff with you guys.  :) :)

Back
Top Bottom