What Brand 5th Wheel to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian HD

We are looking to buy a 5th wheel and don't know one brand from another.  We are willing to spend a little more for quality, but not sure what unit has the best quality construction.  Don't want to just trust a dealers word.  In other words, chevy vs cadilac type of question.

Also, what are the basic things to consider for options?

Thank you in advance for any help here.  Brian   

Brian-
Welcome to the forum.  How will you be using the new fifth wheel?  Short, weekend trips?  Fulltiming?  Hauling motor cycles?

We want to find a campsite in Southern MN and park it for the season.  Thanks Brian

OK.  Then how do you intend to occupy it?  Continuously for weeks or months on end or sporadically on week ends and holidays?

The reason we ask is that a trailer occupied like a house, continuously over a long period, approximates a full time use and requires a higher standard of construction to withstand the wear and tear.  A vacation trailer on the other hand, occupied sporadically for short periods, can go with lighter construction and outfitting.

Since you are going  to park it and leave it, heavy duty running gear and chassis is probably not an issue. And I'm guessing you will have water/electric/sewer hook-ups, so tank size, batteries, etc. are also not a concern. That leaves quality of cabinetry, flooring, furniture, etc and also the insulation & weatherproofing as the key concerns. And since you will be in Minnesota, maybe I should add mosquito proof to the list!  ;D

I would think many of the mid-price range offerings from Sunnybrook, Jayco, KZ, Holiday Rambler or Forest River would suit your needs.  There are many others, though that would do as well.

Are you looking new or used?

Also, why a fifth wheel? If I were going to park it, I would probably go with a travel trailer for max room and a flat floor.

Crossroads RV makes a lot of really nice models too in all price ranges. I have a Cruiser 29CK that we like very much and would recommend.

Thanks guys for the great response.  So far we are thinking New and like the floor plans and design of Cedar Creek trailers.  We are going to park it, but want the option to move it in the future...that's why we are thinking 5th wheel.  My research to date makes me feel that the Cedar Creek is a well made trailer.  Keep in mind that I still have a lot to learn, but this one may be a good start.  I'm not afraid to spend a little more for quality and design that we like.  Quality is most important.

Today, I see us using the trailer 3 to 4 times per month at a min. 3 -4 day runs at a time. 

Thanks again, Brian

Cedar Creek is a decent brand - lots of happy owners. The Cardinal, also from Forest River, is perhaps a slight step up and more preferred by fulltimers. Not sure there are any major differences, though. The Daydreamer by Cedar Creek is their luxury line.

The one thing we want is comfort, as in family room or cabin.  Many of the units we saw felt more like formal living rooms.  The interior of the Cedar Creek seems to look more casual, while being good quality.  When you say the Cardinal is a step up, is it because it is more formal, richer looking interiors.  Is the over all build, construction, the same?

Keep in mind that we want to be parked by a Trout Stream and be casual.  We want friends and family not to worry about sitting on the furniture.

Thanks Brian

What about where to purchase, stay local or shop the states?  Does it pay off to save a few dollars buying away from home?  Will that afect having the the unit serviced?

Thanks Brian

The Daydreamer is the elegant model, while the Cardinal is more casual. I don't know enough about the  models to attempt to itemize differences and I don't even know if enough tech info is available to try to research that. Brochures are notoriously long on bling and short of technical data. You would have to study the brochures and ask questions of the dealers to try to figure it out.

Cardinal has some standard items that are options or not available on the Cedar Creek. Alloy wheels, electric operated stabilizer jacks, air ride fifth wheel hitch, galvanized belly pan and so on. Whether these have value to you is another question altogether.  As I said, fulltimers usually choose the Cardinal over the Cedar Creek, but that doesn't mean it is right for you.

RV Consumers Group rates RVs. (RV.org)

It is well worth the expense to get their CD. Do a lot of research before you buy, it's a big investment.

When I bought my 5th wheel, I did many weeks of research, and ended up with a list of 4 brands I would consider. Then I shopped, online and in person, until I found a good used trailer. I am now happily on my second Hitchhiker, and in my 6th year of fulltiming.  I definitely recommend Hitchhikers.

we have a 2008 kz escalade and have had no problems.  we are full timers and travel a lot.  it is a dream rv. you pay up front but that is all

personally I like the forest river products I'm on my second it's a little lower priced(Rockwood) then what you're looking at but we've been in it for 9 months and about 5000 miles and like it. I would look for Aluminum frame construction.

For what it's worth, we recently bought a Komfort 5er made by Thor. I found the construction to be very good compared to what I saw in others. (You can see the units on Thor's website.) What really attracted us was the floor plan. We wanted space, a king size bedroom and a bathroom that was self contained. Too many units show the shower and lav in the bedroom. That's nice for a peep show but not for us.
We have 3 slide outs and a kitchen area that my wife loves with lots of counter space and a L shaped kitchen.
We also got a fireplace and work station that I wanted but didn't make our decision based on those items.
Our's is a 34 ft 5th wheel and we moved up from a 29 foot travel trailer. We spend 2 to 3 months away from the Chicago winters and after a while the travel trailer felt confining even after 43 years of wedded bliss.
As a matter of fact, we're getting the trailer ready for our trip to South Texas starting at the end of January.

Good Luck in your pursuit.

Bob

Welcome!

I have a 2009 Forest River Cedar Creek Day Dreamer 37RLTSD, which I bought new in April 2008. I realize that is likely more formal than what you're looking for.

Here are some of my observations about the unit, the company, etc. :

1. I like the unit, but the quality certainly isn't what I would have hoped for in this high end unit.

a. I've had issues with the power inverter. In this unit the power inverter runs the refrigerator when it's not shorelined or on generator power. The original inverter was 600 watts. It failed four months in on my first long trip. After lots of hassle the company sent a replacement to me at my campsite. I had to do the labor to change it out. This second unit failed on on my second long trip less than four months later. After much hassle I was put in contact with a man from Sensata Technologies, the company that owns Airpax Dimensions, the manufacturer of the inverter. He was really helpful. His assertion was that when Cedar Creek originally started using the inverter, refrigerators were smaller. In time they grew and the inverter didn't. Locked rotor amp demand had become too great for the 600 watt inverter. The solution was to replace the inverter with an 800 watt unit. While we were at it I requested the remote switch and indicator panel option that could be installed inside the coach. The Airpax man said that Cedar Creek was the only manufacturer to which they shipped the "R3" option inverter without the wiring and remote panel in the same carton. He also said they'd been trying to get Cedar Creek to incorporate that in production, but that Cedar Creek had remained stalwart in not using it. While I was very impressed by Airpax, I was not impressed by my dealer's nor Cedar Creek's handling of this issue. Thus far the 800 watt unit, which I also installed, has been flawless . . . and with the remote panel I can not only tell what the inverter is doing, but I can switch the unit on and off inside the coach. No more crawling under the nose and opening the awkward service bay door to do so.

b. The unit's electrical wiring is problematic. Within 15 months of new, I had wires corrode completely in two where they were connected with solderless connectors under the kitchen slide. These were left open to road slop and even hung upside down so that they retained whatever was thrown in them. In one of the rare times where Cedar Creek did respond to my voicemail (after I had figured out the problem and repaired it), the representative said he was aware of that type of problem and was trying to get production to go to silicon filled type connectors. As of that conversation he hadn't been successful.

c. Brake lines were placed such that movements of the suspension severed one of the lines and I lost all braking. Thank goodness for the big brakes on the Ford Super Duty. This cost me a 400 mile round trip to the dealership for repair. They started by blaming the TV integrated brake controller. After some time they discovered the severed line.

d. One of my dinette chairs had uneven legs. They finally UPS ed a replacement.

e. The desktop split over the electric fireplace after extended use in cold weather. I have a replacement top that I'll need to install at some point.

f. While the company representative said that the unit is rated for 0 degrees F, I had water freeze problems even with an auxiliary electric heater in the service bay and the tank heaters turned on.

g. While dealer personnel tell me that the propane generator should work down to 25 degrees F, I have stall problems at 35 F. The pressure regulator with full cylinders at 50 degree temperatures holds propane pressure at minimum specs and is nonadjustable. I was advised to take the unit to Cummins Central Power, the company that owns Onan. I did so. The day I was there the temperatures were warm enough the unit wouldn't stall and they could do nothing about it. They recommended increased propane pressure at the main regulator. When I informed the service manager at the RV dealership of this statement he got a funny look on his face. He said they'd told him if pressures met minimum specs they should be fine.

h. Slide seals leaked in the closed position from the get go and had to be repaired.

i. More than one plastic hold down clip for the blinds was broken from day one.

j. Some of the external moldings are shrinking with age and contorting.

k. I'm convinced the battery bank was never serviced properly prior to delivery. Electrolyte was exceedingly low upon first inspection. After filled to the proper level, I've not encountered this problem again.

2. The company is difficult to get a reply from and I usually get a voicemail rather than a live voice. I've asked more than once for some kind of electrical schematic on this unit. Their reply, on the rare occasion that I got one, was, "if you encounter problems, give us a call". ::)

3. The dealership has been even worse.  Their service manager's normal response to a problem is, "I'll call the company." When I asked for the R3 option on the 800 watt power inverter, his response was, "We can't get that." Their knowledge base is limited. Often replies were contradictory to each other. More than once I got the "who told you that" from the service manager, who was the person who had. After the sale, I've never had a "how are you doing" call from the salesman.

All in all, I hope the problems are done and over with. Sorry for the long post, but this has been my experience. God bless your choice and experience.

Bobandpamlemay said:
Our's is a 34 ft 5th wheel and we moved up from a 29 foot travel trailer.                                                                      As a matter of fact, we're getting the trailer ready for our trip to South Texas starting at the end of January.

Good Luck in your pursuit.

Bob

Guess I'll highjack this thread just a bit. :eek: I pull my 37 footer with an '08 F-350 Powerstroke with the Tow Boss package. I'm about maxxed out on weight with that combo. How's your F-250 equipped for towing the 34 footer? Is it enough truck?

I love my TV except for the EPA forced fuel economy. What do you think of yours?

End of January may be a bit late. ;D  If the Good Lord is willing, I'm headed for Hammond, IN again the end of February. Will be there directing a volunteer flood response project until Easter.

I currently own a 2007 Cruiser CF29CK made by Crossroads RV and am very happy with it. The few small problems I have had were taken care of quickly by the dealer and Crossroads. I did have one problem on the road with my unit and contacted Crossroads directly and explained the situation. They were very easy to contact and knowledgeable about their product and very friendly to talk to. To make a long story short, in 2 days time the parts arrived to correct my problem and my vacation was not affected. I am currently thinking about upgrading to a newer, larger unit and you can bet they will be my first choice. They make a good product at a good price and have great customer service. What more can you ask for?

Hey BrotherBear: Let me respond to your question about my tv. As I said, I pull a 34 foot 5er with my 2008 F250 with 6.4 diesel. My fifth wheel has a dry weight of 10,800 and I estimated the loaded weight to be about 12,000. We've only had the new 5er out twice since we bought it in July 2009 but it handles well. The pickup is geared to pull a 15,200 fifth wheel according to the specs but with the truck weighing 8,400 lbs empty and with my wife and I and my six pack that brings the truck weight to just short of 9,000. The specs also say the combined GVW is 23,000. I don't get it...the truck weighs 8,400 curb weight....I can pull up to 15,200 but the GVW is 23,000. Doesn't add up to me.

I get about 8 mpg with the trailer although I may be losing a bit because the pin weight causes the front end of my truck to rise a bit. Before we leave I'm going to have the Firestone bags installed to deal with that problem. I'd like better mileage but as it's still under warranty, I'm not going to start playing with chips or whatever.

Bob

Seems we are in a similar situation as you.  We are looking for something to park at our Central MN lake lot to use for weekend use through the summer.  We also want something that is quality, so we can relax when were are up there and not fix problems.  We are looking at either a TT or a true 8ft wide park model.  In case you weren't aware, the RV show is Feb 11-14 in Minneapolis.  Much easier to browse in heated comfort than wander around dealer lots in sub zero temps right now.

Back
Top Bottom