What happened to my microwave??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EMS1

Here is the story, I had my MH out on the weekend for the first time, I just bought it. I plugged it into a land power source and everthing seems to work fine. I used the microwave for about 1 minute to warm up a snack. I came home plugged it back in now the micrwave wont work. The light comes on in the inside when you open the door and thats it.

Thoughts??

It sounds to me as though you have a bad microwave.  If the light comes on you must be getting power to it.  If you are getting power and nothing works then it must have failed. 

Yep - the microwaves are generated by a tube, with filament wires, etc.  A sharp jolt can break it.

Some microwaves have a fuse for the power to the tube but that is likely inside the microwave if there is one.  Before going into it I would try contacting the manufacturer for information.

We recently found the schematic for our Sharp uwave inside the cover and were able to troubleshoot it from that.  The door switch was bad in the case we were involved in.

Really...could they go just like that.....

EMS, yes.  New electronic products that are going to fail often fail very quickly.  We always run our new electronics fairly hard initially on the assumption that we want to find out if they're going to fail before the warranty ends.

ArdraF

The microwave thats in the MH has vents on the top....can I replace the unit with a standard one??

The door switch is a possible cause since the magnetron will not function unless the door is closed properly or the door switch is bad.

"The microwave thats in the MH has vents on the top....can I replace the unit with a standard one??"

Maybe.

Mine hangs from the wall, secured by 2 long bolts from bottom front to top rear. I had the factory install ducting to the outside. Gets the grease from the stovetop and hot gasses out of the coach. Especially nice in the summer. This can be done by the RV repair shop.

RV microwaves are "standard" production models, but there are lot of models and they change from time to time, so one that fits into your opening and vents as yours does may not be easy to find.

We had a problem with our Sharp Convection/microwave oven and it was a "dip" switch.  It would only run for 59 seconds.  It was a $15.00 part but a bear to take in and out.

Call Sharp and let them trouble shoot it with you.

If it's brand new and still under warranty, take it back to the dealer and have him fix it.

Marsha~

There are basically two types of Microwave "Old style" and "New Style"  THe difference is the new style has a computer operated timer that can fail in more ways than I care to count. the older ones usually have mechanical timers..... Less to fail

I have had several older Microwaves do exactly what you describe.. Here is the suspect list

1: Switches. there are (or should be) at least TWO interlock switches on the door... I have had one fail

2: Diode.. I've replaced 2 of 'em.  the power supply on my microwaves was a design called a "Voltage doubler" (It is way less expensive than winding a transformer for the voltage the magnatron needs) this involves two diodes. one of 'em IS the magnatron, (it is a diode type tube) the other is a solid state part and I"ve had 'em fail

3: Had a wire fail.

Newer units.. Well like I said, they are computer cotrolled and the computer can fail.. Can't help you with those.

Oh, the diode is less than 20 bucks, plus labor

Guess my question is can the unit just be replaces with one off a selve at a regular store??

That question is another "Depends"

What most folks fail to observe is the moisture vent on the microwave.. Now the old Tappin I had at my house vented to the front, many vent to the top, rear or side, if you take a microwave out and set it on the shelf and operate it with a load of water and run you hand around it you will feel the vent.

Or if you know what to look for you will see it

The Dometic in my rig was made by Lucky Goldstar, and thus did not work properly when new (I have fixed it) it vents to the top, Dometic put a special "Duct" on top to re-direct it out the front so that the cabinet it's mounted in does not rot out quickly.

You need to carefully remove the one you have, then look it over, if there is special duct work you will see it.  Get a replacement that is the same physical size and vents in teh same manner, and transfer any speical duct work.

There is NOTHING special about the microwave itself, the Dometic unit in my rig is identical to an LG model in the store, save for that duct work and the mounting flange (Frame) Dometic put around it, all of which can be transferred.

NOTE: I Very strongly recommend AGAINST LG Microwaves.. As I said, being an LG it did not work properly when new.

I removed the unit, there are 2 vents on the top front of the unit......

EMS1 said:
I removed the unit, there are 2 vents on the top front of the unit......

A photo would really help, if you could post one.

Do you know (from labels or owner's manual) if your machine is (1) a microwave ONLY, or is it (2) a combination microwave / convection oven (somewhat common in RV's)?  If it's #1 then you can replace it with anything most likely.  If it's #2, then those vents are probably heat output for the convection oven feature (basically a big toaster oven) and if you replace with a similar unit then you want the vents to line up for proper heat dispersion.  Even if it is a convection combo and you don't care about that feature, then default to option #1 and replace with a standard microwave.  As long as it operates off standard 110v household current and fits in the opening, you should be fine.

It's a standard microwave...the MH has an oven. Just want to be sure it will work with just a normal house unit....

Really depends on the make and model of your oven.  I do know that Amana built one that was directly interchangeable with our Sharp microwave/convection we have in the Eagle.  A photo would help.  Also if you take a photo of the mounting braket when you go looing it would be helpful.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeffandjoan
Back
Top Bottom