Pen****er Michigan Charles Mears State Park - In May

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Len and Jo

Joanne and I just spent Friday May 8th to Monday May 11th at the Charles Mears S.P.  This park is at Pen****er Michigan and is located on the sand dunes of the Lake Michigan eastern shore.

It is early in the year and the park is just waking up from a long winter.  The 20/30 amp service is on but no water out side of the bath house yet.  The park does not provide 50 amps, sewer or water hook-ups.  The 175 site park has the standard Michigan S.P. restroom.... 6 shower rooms (w hot water) on one side and mens and womens restroom on the other side of a walk way.

Pen****er is a small town with its safe harbor at one end and the state park at the other.  Everything is within easy walking (or biking) distance.  At this time of year the town itself is just waking up.  Maybe 1/3 of the stores are still closed for the season and will not be open for 1-2 weeks yet.  We did though find several good places to get a meal at and some of the gift shops are open now.

The weather is still cool.  It was in the low 40's at night and just broke into the low 60's in the day time.  Being right on Lake Michigan the wind has 75-100 miles of open water to build up a head of steam.  Saturday was a rainy day and we had to take our awning down because of the steady wind off of the lake.

Attachments

• 1a Pen****er 08May09.JPG
    1a Pen****er 08May09.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 1aa North.JPG
    1aa North.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 1ab South.JPG
    1ab South.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 1ac Marina.JPG
    1ac Marina.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 1ad Marina.JPG
    1ad Marina.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 26
  • 1ae Marina.JPG
    1ae Marina.JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 1aec.JPG
    1aec.JPG
    220.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 1af State Park.JPG
    1af State Park.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 26
The campground at Charles Mears park was basically empty.  Of the 175 sites only 5 were occupied while we were in the park. 

The next series of pictures shows the park and its dunes.  Also note the blowing sand in the  last picture to get a feel for the level of wind when directly exposed to lake (on Saturday only).  Thank goodness the campground sites are behind a row of dune.s

Attachments

• 1b.JPG
    1b.JPG
    178.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 1d.JPG
    1d.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 32
  • 1f.jpg
    1f.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 1g.JPG
    1g.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 25
  • 2a.JPG
    2a.JPG
    176.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 2b.jpg
    2b.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 4a.JPG
    4a.JPG
    145.6 KB · Views: 29
We took a walk along the water channel during a break in the weather on Saturday.  Note the flag!!  A few blocks from the open water and all is quite!

Attachments

• 4b.JPG
    4b.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 4ba.JPG
    4ba.JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 4c.JPG
    4c.JPG
    147.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 4d.JPG
    4d.JPG
    149.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 5a.jpg
    5a.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 5d.JPG
    5d.JPG
    136.7 KB · Views: 23
Sunday the weather cleared and the sky was blue.  We road our bikes in to town to go to church.  The small town of Pen****er must has as many churches as fudge shops.  That is saying a lot for a Michigan tourist town.

The minister introduced us as the first campers of the year.

We took a walk in the woods to see if any birds were out.  Later in the morning a bike ride through town and got a kite to fly.  The wind had died down from Saturday but was still ample.

Attachments

• 6a St James.JPG
    6a St James.JPG
    178.1 KB · Views: 26
  • 6c Old Baldy Trail.JPG
    6c Old Baldy Trail.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 6e.jpg
    6e.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 6g.jpg
    6g.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 7ac.JPG
    7ac.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 7ad.JPG
    7ad.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 7b.JPG
    7b.JPG
    130 KB · Views: 22
  • 7c.JPG
    7c.JPG
    183.5 KB · Views: 24
Well the long week end is about over.

Jo is ready to watch a sun set in the 40 ish degree weather.  It was worth it.

Monday morning the park crew were out moving sand.  Talk about job security!  Some had just shovels but there was a tractor with a large scoop working on the camp sites.  The camp sites have six months of drifting sand to clear up.

Monday afternoon as we left town they even provided music for us.  A fiddle and a accordion player were setting in the early summer sun and having a great time.

Gas on the way home at Flying J was $2.219 a gallon.  Prices going up for the approaching holiday weekend.

Attachments

• 8c.JPG
    8c.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 33
  • 8d.JPG
    8d.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    182.2 KB · Views: 29
Len and Jo,

Thanks for sharing some good photos.  When he was a kid, Jerry's family used to spend summers near Pen****er at what was then a "resort" called Camp Morrison.  They had cabins and a dining hall.  You could cross the dunes to the lake.  The last time we went through it was called Whispering Sands RV Park.  That lake can get pretty rough.  Boy, you chose a cold and windy time but I notice the tulips and daffodils were up.  Cute little church.  And what a nice sunset photo.  We noticed it was framed by two entirely different types of trees and some clouds.  To my untrained eyes, it was a nice composition and you caught it just right for the colors.

ArdraF

I first visited Pen****er about 30 years ago, by boat.  Typical small Michigan lakeshore town, very friendly.  Lake Michigan is a beautiful lake but can get very violent in a short time.

My first visit to Pen****er was in the early 80's on one of my many cruises on Lake Michigan.  It still remains one of my favorite harbors along with Round Lake in Charlevoix, Mackinac Island, and Port Washington.  Yes I have been crossing Lake M. when the waves went from one inch with full sails to 12 feet with a storm jib in a matter of hours.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom