MiFi from Verizon replacing WiFi???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting, Jayne. The technology just keeps evolving . . .  :)  Unfortunately, there is still a high fee plus contract with MiFi.

While in Laughlin I encountered a problem with the new modem for my Internet dish and auto mount - so thought I would try out the Vz air card. I had 30 days to use it while getting the parts I needed for my Starband setup. It cost me about $35 restocking fee to Vz plus one month service at $59. I enjoyed the card while in that area but it had problems in a few other spots. It served it's purpose and was returned on day 29 of usage.

However, I did get a bit spoiled having a backup ISP for my laptop that I could use when away from my rig or if the dish was sick. My new for a few months now smart phone, the Omnia i910 by Samsung, is great for checking email and such plus web browsing, but not too good for detailed email or forum postings.

In exploring the Omnia forums I discovered there are a number of hacker methods of doing tethering with this phone and bypassing Vz. I looked into that but also found a number of forum threads were the Omnia was really screwed up by doing this. So I went to Vz instead and was pleasantly surprised at what I found - and am now trying it out "free" for 30 days.

With certain plans the fee is only $15/month - and I am under one of those. If not, it is $30/month. There is "no" contract involved -- just a month to month with a 5g maximum file transfer limit. If I want to do without for a few months I just call - then call again to start it back up. The setup disk and USB cable come with the phone so there is not other equipment involved. There is no setup charge to Vz.

So far I am really finding it an OK add on for only $15/month. I get around 100 to 125kbps upload with my Starband dish and basic modem, and 800-1200 download. The Omnia tethered gives me 270 upload and about the same as Starband download. The key there is that the Omnia is one of the smart phones with Rev-A 3G. Otherwise, tethering would be much slower.

The two downsides are that it "is" tethered vs. wireless -- but routers are available. And secondly, you cannot talk on the phone while the phone thinks it's a modem. That is not a problem for me as it will just go to voice mail. Not much free WiFi around anymore and what is around is usually more than $15/mos.

The first month is free -- but from what I have experienced so far am pretty sure I will stay signed up. It gives me an inexpensive backup system that I can use when and if I need it.

Hey, ZuniJayne -- here's a hug, and it is sure nice to read that you are "on the road again" . . .

I played with a 'pre-production' MiFi for over an hour at CTIA cellular trade show last april...
in my opinion, its perfectly suited to the 'suburban soccer mom' -- but i won't recommend it to RV customers.
my general concerns about this radio/module combo are:
  • NO antenna jack. more expensive wireless amp/repeater needed when signal sucks.
  • embedded 3G module with no upgrade path. What happens when 4G is available?
  • locked to one carrier. If you buy from verizon. Stuck with verizon.
  • NO ethernet port. All connections via WiFi B or G (not an N radio) or USB to single computer
  • limited range compared to any cradlepoint. Max of about 30ft.
  • max # of users is five. (cradlepoint is 16, 32 or 64)

i'm waiting on a 'production unit' for further review. should have it this week.

Adding to what Bob explains about 'tethering', this article points out that certain phones are now "Rev-A" making them as fast as the dedicated data devices.

http://www.EVDOinfo.com/tethering

and for those interested in what phones work with popular cradlepoint routers that are not officially supported, check out:

http://www.EVDOinfo.com/unofficial

-- EVDOalex

Verizon's Mifi merely combines a wifi router and a cellular modem, something you can easily do by yourself with any of several routers designed for cell modems. Cradlepoint makes several routers that you can plug your cell modem into and get the  exact same result as Mifi, but without the drawbacks that Alex mentions. Integrating two electronic devices means you have to replace both if either function fails or if something new & better comes along. Integration is good if it saves you money on equipment, but mifi doesn't save much (if any)  over separate components and you lose flexibility.

Alex, is there a USB cable for the Chocolate 3?  I've been able to pair the phone via Bluetooth to the computer but haven't been able to locate a cable.  I assume a cable would be needed to use the phone with a Cradlepoint router, correct?

Gang,

Thanks for all the informative responses.  As you may know, I am not the sharpest (nor the dullest) knife in the technology area. <g>  Heck, I just this year started watching DVDs  ::)

I just thought I'd throw MiFi out to y'all and learn something.

Ned said:
Alex, is there a USB cable for the Chocolate 3?  I've been able to pair the phone via Bluetooth to the computer but haven't been able to locate a cable.  I assume a cable would be needed to use the phone with a Cradlepoint router, correct?

The Chocolate 3 (LG 8560) that we've messed with came with a USB cable, and indeed tethered nicely using that USB cable attached to the cradlepoint routers.

just remember that the choco3 is not an officially supported device, much like others listed at http://www.evdoinfo.com/unofficial

I found a way around the no Ethernet port issue..........

I have a LInksys Game adapter I picked up somewhere, likely for far less than it's 99.00 price tag.   I had to use it the other day for some hardware that simply does not have any option but Ethernet.. Worked great.. I mean GREAT!!!

The Game adapter has a Wi-Fi antenna (External) an Ethernet port and a power jack, it has a switch and a reset hole. that's it.  You start by hooking it to your computer and running the configure utility on the CD, you MUST give it the SSID of your router, and any needed pass code... Ideally it will then connect (you use a straight ethernet cable for this)

Then it's basically a Ethernet to Wi-Fi adapter.. Kind of like a USB-WiFi adapter but plugs into an Ethernet port (And of course a 120vac outlet)

Alex, where can I get a USB cable for my Chocolate 3?  Verizon doesn't list one last time I looked.  Do you stock them?

Ned said:
Alex, where can I get a USB cable for my Chocolate 3?  Verizon doesn't list one last time I looked.  Do you stock them?
no, we don't stock/sell USB cables. the end of cable you need for phone is "micro USB". i'd expect major electronics stores to have.

here it is on verizon website (they listed under 'music' accessories. go figure.)

http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=accessoryDetails&archetypeId=11083

Alex, thanks for the info.  I never would have found the cable there.  It's not listed as an accessory for the Chocolate 3 on the phone page.

Ned,

I found one of those cables in a dollar store for a buck.  It's made by etech.  It's one of those that stretches at each end and comes together in the middle.  It works with my Motorola Razor phone and my laptop.

Rolf, good to know.  For now, I can connect to my computer via Bluetooth and don't really need the cable, but would like to get one just to have on hand.  However, not all USB cables are the same, although yours would fit my phone if you have the V9m RAZR.

I don't know how it is with the carriers in US, but up here, the rates are different if you use 3G/EDVO from the PC through the phone VS getting a data cellular package with a USB or PCMCIA cellular adapter.

For example, I can pay 18$ for 4MB of data on my phone, but if I use my laptop connected to my phone, that's not covered by that.  They can tell the difference.

The USB adpater has a cheaper monthly fee, a friend has a Novatel USB adapter from Bell, EDVO network.  Advantage of a USB adapter is that you can use a USB extension cable and locate the transmitter/receiver where reception is better.

We have loved the Mobile Broadband from the phone companies in both Uganda and Haiti. The great advantage was that you had internet access anywhere the cell phone worked. Just think of all the places where you have been setting up a satellite dish, but with the mobile broadband you just put in the "stick" and you're connected. In Uganda our mobile broadband worked with a SIM card and  a prepaid plan. It was simply a matter of taking the BB SIM card out, placing it in the cell, adding more money to it, and putting it back in the broadband stick. 
It was great for us working in the boondocks in Africa ..... but for RVers camping in the boondocks in the US it seems to be so  much simpler than a satellite contraption? At  least in those areas where the cell phone works?

Elly

Back
Top Bottom