tire pressure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
FWIW when we first bought our coach, the tech at the dealer had inflated the tires to 140 psi, although the rims are rated at only 120 psi. When questioned, the tech's answer was "I inflate them all that way". The coach wouldn't drive in a straight line, and it was a white knuckle job steering it. I subsequently weighed the coach and checked the tire manufacturer's chart - they should have been 90 psi front and 95 psi rear. I deflated the tires to 95 psi and 100 psi, and the handling improved significantly.

Tom said:
FWIW when we first bought our coach, the tech at the dealer had inflated the tires to 140 psi, although the rims are rated at only 120 psi. When questioned, the tech's answer was "I inflate them all that way". The coach wouldn't drive in a straight line, and it was a white knuckle job steering it. I subsequently weighed the coach and checked the tire manufacturer's chart - they should have been 90 psi front and 95 psi rear. I deflated the tires to 95 psi and 100 psi, and the handling improved significantly.

That's similar to the experience we had with our first class C.  Load range E tires.  The dealer had them jacked up to the max of 80 psi.  Driving home the first time was one of the scariest drives of my life.  I weighed the rig, consulted Michelin's RV tables and lowered the pressures significantly.  (The table values plus 10 psi)  The improvement was so dramatic that it's hard to describe.

OK we are going to weigh our Winnebago. Can we go to any truck stop? How dose it work? We just got back from our first trip to Arizona. We put on 1,000 miles, she did GREAT!!! handled perfect . 

I had the MH on truck scales twice.
All Michelin tires: 125 psi recommended.
Front axle: 13,450 lbs.
Tandem axle: 21,900 lbs.
I keep 115 lbs of air in the front wheels, 85 lbs in rear wheels, 75 lbs in the tag axle wheels.
The ride is wonderful.
I use the Pressure Pro monitoring system religiously, and double check it with a high quality truck tire pressure gauge from times to times; it has not failed yet.
While driving, the tire pressure will go up anywhere between 10-12 lbs.
Anything wrong with this picture ?
And how many miles can you expect from 22" Michelin tires ?  Thanks.

7 years from date of tire manufacture maximum and what ever mile you put on in that period of time.  I.E. if the date code shows the tires were two years old since date of manufacture they shouold be replaced within 5 years no matter what mileage is on them.

And how many miles can you expect from 22" Michelin tires ?

It depends on the Micheline model - some are higher mileage than others, but all Michelins are designed for longer tread life and you can likely get 60k or more from them. You are more likely to run out of years than miles. Goodyear G670s would typically be a bit less, maybe 50k.

RV Roamer said:
It depends on the Micheline model - some are higher mileage than others, but all Michelins are designed for longer tread life and you can likely get 60k or more from them. You are more likely to run out of years than miles. Goodyear G670s would typically be a bit less, maybe 50k.

I think Goodyear would be more than that since our last Goodyear tires had 95K+ on them when we replaced them because of age.  No signs of deterioration and excellent tread just approaching the 7 year limit when we replaced them.  FWIW we have never had a set of Michelins last 30K miles even on a car or pickup because of rolled belts or other failures.

Must agree with Ron, we HAD to change the Michelins on the Avalon last month. They barely had 40,000 miles.
About the MH, as suggested by you all, I checked on Michelin's web site, the tires are 305/70 XRV, manufactured 41st week of 05.
Max load at 115 PSI: single 7570  dual 13420.
Max load at 120 PSI: single 7830  dual 13880.
I would probably be better to keep the front tires pressure at 120 PSI.
As far as the rear, anything wrong with 85 lbs,  and 75 lbs on tag axle ?
Thank you for the help.

i have mich 19.5 xrv 145/70 tires.
before installing the TST tire pressure monitor system, i ran 100-105 psi all around for a safety margin.
after installing the TST system, i run 90-92 psi all around. the ride is significantly smoother.
if a tire looses pressure i will get an immediate alarm.
the TST TRUCK system is well worth the $300 imho. :)

DAN L said:
i have mich 19.5 xrv 145/70 tires.
before installing the TST tire pressure monitor system, i ran 100-105 psi all around for a safety margin.
after installing the TST system, i run 90-92 psi all around.

Dan

I don't understand your connection of the pressure differences by installing the TST system. If you have a leak at 100 psi, it'll go flat just as much as it will at 92 psi. Having the 8 psi "cushion" won''t make the difference. Having a good TPMS will.

Dan,
Does your MH have air bags and IFS ?
Mine does, and it seems like whatever tire pressure I tried in the past did not make much difference in the ride.
I (may be wrongly) assumed that the air bags and IFS compensated.
BTW Bernie, I have seen many of your postings and as always have enjoyed them. Sorry for your accident, glad you did not get injured seriously. Every time we see a yellow X Terra, we think about you all.  :D

Giles

Thanks for the kind words, I'm pretty close to normal again and we too miss Ol' Yeller.

We miss seeing you guys, hope our paths cross again soon.

i  don't have air suspension, just leaf springs and the wh polyurethane "aux" springs on each corner. i have a beam front axle, not ifs. i installed koni fsd shocks. :) the shocks helped a lot. the original monroes were worn out in 7.8k miles. :mad: i think "shot" would be a more accurate description. one front shock had no resistance, the 3 others had uneven resistance.
with the tst system installed, i know exactly what the pressure and temp of each tire is all the time. :) i do not need a "cushion" anymore. ;D dropping the tire pressures 10# to the recommended pressure for my weight made a big difference in the ride quality. ;D it is not as jarring.
before i installed the tst system i checked and adjusted tp as necessary every travel day and checked the tire temperatures at every stop with an infrared temperature gauge. i "thumped" the tires at every stop to check for even pressures. i don't have to do that anymore. :) ;D
i am trying to establish a correlation between tire temperatures measured at the bead and air temperature in the tire as displayed by my tst unit. :-\
i still do a walk around inspection checking for damage, etc at every stop. :)

I would be interested in knowing the change in the interior temperature. This acqauintance of mine wants to replace all my tire's air by Nitrogen; he says it keeps the tire cooler, therefore making it llast longer  ???. Anyone has had experience with this ?

The air around you is 78% nitrogen.  I don't see the need to spend money to get 100% nitrogen in the tires.

This acqauintance of mine wants to replace all my tire's air by Nitrogen; he says it keeps the tire cooler, therefore making it llast longer  Huh. Anyone has had experience with this ?

A waste of money and effort, in my opinion. Here's one commentary:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2694/is-it-better-to-fill-your-tires-with-nitrogen-instead-of-air

Now for some facts: Consumer Reports tested 31 sets of tires with nitrogen & with plain old air for an entire year to determine which held pressure the longest and found only a small difference.  The "air" tires lost an average of 3.5 psi per year, while the nitrogen tires lost 2.2 psi/year, a difference is 1.3 psi over the course of a year.  So yes, the claims are true - nitrogen filled tires do lose air more slowly. But is it a meaningful difference? And will an average of 1.3 psi difference over a year make your tires run cooler and save you money in fuel and tire wear?  You be the judge.  ::)

RV Roamer said:
G159's, I'll bet. You aren't likely to see anywhere near that with G670's.

Based on my experience with Michelins I am confident the Goodyears will perform and last much longer.  I Doubt if the G670/s will wear out either but more likely be replaced because of age just like the previous tires were.

RV Roamer said:
A waste of money and effort, in my opinion. Here's one commentary:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2694/is-it-better-to-fill-your-tires-with-nitrogen-instead-of-air

Now for some facts: Consumer Reports tested 31 sets of tires with nitrogen & with plain old air for an entire year to determine which held pressure the longest and found only a small difference.  The "air" tires lost an average of 3.5 psi per year, while the nitrogen tires lost 2.2 psi/year, a difference is 1.3 psi over the course of a year.  So yes, the claims are true - nitrogen filled tires do lose air more slowly. But is it a meaningful difference? And will an average of 1.3 psi difference over a year make your tires run cooler and save you money in fuel and tire wear?  You be the judge.  ::)

Just not any return for the hassle and expence of running nitrogen in tires.  I just cannot see the benefit.  Oh BTW most everybody runs about 78% nitrogen in there tires anyway without any hassle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom