Front end cap sealant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LK23

I realize this subject has probably been beat to death, but here goes.  I noticed I have a few small cracks in the front cap to roof caulking.  The Winnebago recommended sealant is silicone caulking.  I am not a fan of silicone for caulking.  I was somewhat surprised that self-leveling caulk was not recommended instead.  Comments...

If it were me I would recaulk with what the manufacturer recommends unless they recommen silicone then I would use what I felt to be best and apply Eternabond over the whole seam.

Y-Guy,

Unless I am mistaken the other thread is about sealing the sidewall to the roof.  No doubt, Winnie calls for Thermoplastic caulking for sidewall applications.  What I am referring to is the front cap to the roof - totally flat application

Rex - I think if the cap has a good mechanical connection or adhesive connection to the roof and you just want to seal the joint, I think Dicor would work fine.  Ron's suggestion about Eternabond I think is valid as well - you wouldn't need to worry about the aesthetics.

LK23 said:
Y-Guy,

Unless I am mistaken the other thread is about sealing the sidewall to the roof.  No doubt, Winnie calls for Thermoplastic caulking for sidewall applications.  What I am referring to is the front cap to the roof - totally flat application

Well the other thread kind of covers both discussions.  It is worth a look.

Indy Itasca said:
Well the other thread kind of covers both discussions.  It is worth a look.

I did look at the other thread prior to posting this thread and I stand by what I said, the other thread is primarily about the sidewall to roof seams.  I was referring to the top of the roof where it attaches to the front cap.

John,

Based on your recommendation I used Dicor self-leveling caulk on the cap to roof seam and it worked fine.  I am puzzled why folks keep referring this thread back to the sidewall thread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joe-
Back
Top Bottom