Yellowstone Workamping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PancakeBill

We have arrived.  set up on our site, ready for the summer.  We are working at the Old Faithful visitor center bookstore.  Quite a day, buffalo, snow, sun, satellite what else can we ask for.

Welcome to the Rockies in May.  We have had wind, rain, snow and more wind today.  Temperatures as high as 53 and as low as 33 in about 3 hours this afternoon. 

Makes for a fun day.

Now if the tomatoes do not freeze tonight, things may be looking up a little.    :D

If you are coming to Bozeman for shopping, let us know.

Jim,  will do!  Sat we head down to Idaho Falls to pick up our rental car.  Monday we start training.  Today looks to be a pretty nice day weatherwise.  We are acclimating to the altitude.  This is my first time at such a high altitude, I think it is about 7200'.  I grew up at about 50'.  FL was at about 80', this winter in QZ was at about 900'.    Sooo, 7200 is a little higher.

We will be going to yellowstone the end of June. This will be our first long trip in our new motor home. Do you know what the wheather will Be like then? Any stops that are a must see? We are comming from So. Cal. Have fun this summer, Boy I wish I had a job like that!!!!

We got to Yellowstone on June 16, last year and had snow. But not enough to bother, but still drifts from the winter.  Had 60-70' days, 40's at night.  I would sure suggest you plan to spend at least 1 day at Buffalo Bill museum in
Cody WY, hard to take it all in In one day.

Tony

brens said:
We will be going to yellowstone the end of June. This will be our first long trip in our new motor home. Do you know what the wheather will Be like then? Any stops that are a must see? We are comming from So. Cal. Have fun this summer, Boy I wish I had a job like that!!!!

Bring So. CA winter clothes.  :'(  It can be cold and it can snow.  That is not to say it will but can.  Years ago as we were landing in Bozeman we saw snow out the window and there was snow on the ground.  We were in Yellowstone a few days later and it was cold and snowy, it was not sticking but it was coming down.  It can be cold and snow any month up here.

Speaking of snow, gyess what we woke up to at Sam's camp.  Well about 4 inches of snowcotton was well distributed over the area. Oh we are only 4000 Ft altitude.

Below are some pictures we took last year in West Yellowstone on June 11!

We arrived on May 31 and stayed through June 15 and most of the time was pleasant (50s and 60s) and sunny, but in the low 30s overnight.

Regardless of the weather, you'll have a great time!

Don

Attachments

• Buff Corral 0611.jpg
    Buff Corral 0611.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Snow Day 0611.jpg
    Snow Day 0611.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 81
How long will you be workcamping in Yellowstone Bill?  We will be there either over Labor Day weekend or sometime after that.

Lorna, we will be till end of Sept.  Today it is about 50 deg and sunny.  Winds has subsided.  I went over to post office and got our PO box this morning, got to see Old Faithful go up, pretty neat! 

Weather here is pretty changeable it looks like.  Tonight forecast is 19. 

brens said:
Will we need snow chains?

NO!  The snow will not be around for more than a few hours, if that, and they do a good job of clearing the roads if needed. 

To expand on my no, I have lived in Montana for over 30 years of my life and driven for over 20 of those and NEVER used a set of chains on the highways.  On muddy dirt roads, yes but that was not due to snow.    :)

Ron said:
Yep that is what it can look like sometimes.  That is very similar to what it looks like at Sam's Camp this morning.

We missed that but did have rain over night.  Temp here only got down to about 37 or so.  :)

Bill,

We arrived in Rapid City today. Drove the last hour or so in a snow shower with wind all day (and yesterday).

Hope you have a great time this summer.

ken

Bill,  Better wait till Mid June or later before taking the all American Highway.  However I strongly recommend taking it if you have a day to spare.

The All american Highway is take highway 120 North out of Cody to the Chief Joseph Highway 296 to the Beartooth Highway 212 and turn right.  Drive on into Red Lodge and have lunch then return the same route.  If you have time you can continue on to Cooke City on 212 then return to where 212 intersects with 296 and return to Cody.  You will find the scenic quality to exceed that of Yellowstone.  But wait till they get the snow cleared probably in June.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom