Yellowstone Workamping

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PancakeBill said:
Thanks, have to put it up on my map program and save it.

There are highways that don't get cleared?

There are some routes or highways that they do not plow until spring Beartooth is one and Going to the Sun in Glacier Park is another. 

Ken & Sheila
We are still loving it.  The job is fun, lots of folks to meet.  I have always loved books, reading etc, so working in a bookstore is a great time.  I try scanning as many books as I can to help folks with picking.  We sell memberships which are good things, gives the card holder with discounts at other parks as well as us and the General Stores in the park, the money goes back into park projects.  So, easy to beleive in, easy to sell. 

Why not come in?  I can get you a resv at the site next to us for a really good rate, with fhu. 

Just got back from Yellowsone. The weather was great! I was in shorts the whole time we were there. It rained on us once but we were driving checking out all of the wild life, Boy that sure is Gods country. We went in to the book store but I could not remember you name. I would have loved to say hi to a  fellow member! Hope you are having a good time.!

Bill,

Glad to hear you are enjoying to work. Something we would like to try in the future.

We are in Reno, but I will be flying back to PHX for a week. Then we will work our why to Oregon for an Appointment at Monaco on 7/27.

How long are you going to be at Yellowstone?

Ken

Brens, sorry we missed, next tie Bill, like what you get in the mailbox... ;-)

Ken, we will be here till end of Sept.  Please give me a call, I can get you a reservation here.  ack light for Phoenix, I just saw temps...

Hi All if any of you get to Cody and South through Meeteetse, give me a holler here. I will be in Meeteetse until Mid Sept, then over in Lander for a couple of weeks before heading to AZ for the Winter.

Today is first of Oct.  As I sit here and look out the window it is snowing.  Looks like an overnight snow on the way, Temp still showing 36 deg, but dropping.  What has this to do with workamping?  Well, not much, other than it is showing the end of the season is about here.  Our last day is 10/13, leave either that afternoon, OR the following morning.  Coach and trailer about ready to pull out any time.  Stowed everything but the motorcycle in the trailer, (I am an optimist I can still get in a ride).  

Our first season has been great, the Yellowstone Association is wonderful to work for.  I am looking forward to a raise and promotion next season.  (yes, we are coming back!)  Yellowstone is an amazing place to work, with 2 days off and 6 hour work day we have plenty of time to explore, fish, photograph etc.  Made lots of friends with other workampers and seasonal workers.  We are a fun breed!  Have had customers come in we knew, some knew my folks, some from the forum, some knew folks we knew, the old Small World syndrome.  

If you have a chane to work up here for YA, or Xanterra, or Delaware North, jump at it.  Different centers in the park have different advantages.  For instance, Old Faithful, (where we are) is the Park icon, maybe even the National Park System icon.  Pretty much everyone who comes to Yellowstone HAS to see Old Faithful.  Keeps you busy.  We had a Presidential visit in August and I had the opportunity to meet the Sec of the Interior.  Canyon is pretty much the center of the Park, so being there gives you the chance to have the least average drive to explore.  Mammoth is nice because it is cose to lots of stuff, and also easy to get to Bozeman for major shopping trips.  They all have their advantages.  

You definitely need to have a car.  We rented one for the sumer, got a great deal so great the owner told me he would be glad to rent it to me next year, but we would have to restructure the agreement.  

Next yea we will probably arrive at the end of April, and stay to about the same time.  Looking forward to 2010!

We have just accepted a couple of positions at Yellowstone.  WOW!  It's our first workamping jobs.  We will be working at the Tower gift shop/snack, from 6/3 until 9/26.  I am sooooo looking forward to it.    My question is.... we currently are in Florida (FEB).  We need to be in Bosman 6/3.  Should we try to be there a couple of days early or not?  Since we have not been west, what is the best route to take to get there?  Did you do the meal deal?  If so, what is the food like?  What would you do the same and different?
Thanks for any advise!

OK, my reply disappeared as I was wrting a perfect reply.  Short version now.  Getting west in June, You probablly want to eventually get up to Rt 90 and go in the north entrrance.  Have your offer of employment with you to go in the gate, you will get vehicle pass later. 

Meal plan, we made our own food, it is like college cafeteria. 

Food shopping, you are just about 20 miles to Gardiner, about 70 or so to Bozeman.  We installed a chest freezer for meat.

We are also leaving from FL, heading north to Nashville, then St Louis and west on 70.  We will be going in west entrance (West Yellowstone)

Back
Top Bottom