Battery Add-on to Pop Up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mattsse

Hi all, I have a 10' viking Saga pop up (2001) and it has a Centurion CS3000 power converter in it.  I'm currently seeking some info since this camper does not have a battery, I would like to add one though.  I did some reading and I know I need a battery box and I know I need a deep cycle battery.  What I'm looking for is any/all of the following:

1)  Wiring diagram for the CS3000 or instructions on the terminals to connect the battery to
2)  The recommended gauge for the wire from the battery to the converter
3)  Instructions on how the vehicle will charge the battery during towing
4)  Any kind of generic document with an overview of how the above process typically works.

My goal is to be able to run the lights and the fan for the furnace, I realize the fridge will not likely make the food cold but may maintain the current temp, although i'd expect it to drain the battery quickly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Matt

The CS 3000 is a 30 amp charger, so 10 gauge wire will handle the connection to the battery.

I found this diagram that purports to be the hook-up for the CS 3000XL converter but it doesn't actually show the terminals for output to the battery. Note the required fuse for the charging circuit. There should be a PLUS & a MINUS terminal on the unit somewhere - connect those to the corresponding battery terminal.

http://americandirect.ibuilder.com/a/americandirect/default.asp?SID=5VXO144WQJH531A9YI39&C=12&S=E3&Document=Up+to+30+amp+Converter+Product+Features&DesignNo=1&

If your trailer to tow vehicle connector has a 12v line from the tow vehicle, it could be connected to the battery for charging as well. What type connector do you have? 7 pin round? 6 pin round? 4 pin round or flat?

What kind of fridge do you have? 12v power only? Propane and/or 120v too?

Thanks for the info, I have a 3 way fridge and the connector from the car is a 4 port flat, the connector on the trailer is a 6 port but the cable converts it down to a 4 port flat to match the car.

Matt

You don't have any way to charge the trailer battery with only a 4 port plug on the car. You would need an additional wire & port fr the 12v feed. The six pin on the trailer MAY already have that, but not necessarily since the trailer did not come with a battery.

Ok cool, but there must be some schematics out there to wire all that, I checked the community library on the site here but didn't find such a thing, I'll have to dig up a pinout for the six port connector on the camper and somethin for the car.

Thanks,

Matt

Not sure how much different an 01 would be from our old 97 but back then Vikings where prewired for a battery.  Look at your wiring bundle inside the frame by the 6 pin port.  There should be an unused wire that has a single lead female connector on it probably covered in tape.  We bought a battery kit from our dealer, it had a plate that replaces the plastic cover over the roof winch, a metal strap that locks over your battery box (you still have to buy your own box), and wiring that connects the battery to the unused lead with male connector and a grounding strap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom