Toilet not holding water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ava

My toilet is not holding water, I did the search in the library, found information
about making sure the little flap didn't have any tiny little bit of toilet paper to
cause it to not shut right, well I cleaned it real good and it held water all night
but when I got home from work today there was only an inch of water in it
so guess its still leaking. Is there a seal I can replace or do I replace the whole
toilet?  :( it is a Thetford, Aqua-magic Galaxy Starlite, pretty fancy name for just
a pooper huh. I'm certainly not wanting to hear I need to replace the whole
toilet, it just isn't in the budget but what do ya think?
The other option is....we do have alot of hard water in this area and although
I have a filter on my line the toilet still accumulates hard water yuk. I'm wondering
if hard water deposit has done this.

The only thing I can say is what I done. I cleaned the seal like you did and the same thing happened to me. It took two more cleaning of the ring before it was all gone . Works well just over a year now.  Good luck

thanks, I'm gonna clean it good again, found the tech support # for Thetford
and will call them and see if I can use something like hard water lime remover
stuff, like CLR or similiar, unless anyone out there has used it and knows it didn't
cause any damage.

If you have some CLR or Limeaway poor some of that in the toilet annd let it set overnight.  Might take a couple times but it usually will correct the problem.

Cleaning the seal is nearly always the answer, but yes you can replace the valve seals if you have to.
I think Thetford Service Kit #8368 would fit your toilet and it has all the seals used with the Galaxy Starlite toilet. Don't know if you might be able to find just the blade seal anywhere.

Here is the official Thetford repair parts list:
http://www.thetford.com/HOME/PARTS/PermanentToilets/AquaMagicGalaxyStarlite/tabid/561/Default.aspx

ava said:
My toilet is not holding water, I did the search in the library, found information
about making sure the little flap didn't have any tiny little bit of toilet paper to
cause it to not shut right, well I cleaned it real good and it held water all night
but when I got home from work today there was only an inch of water in it
so guess its still leaking. Is there a seal I can replace or do I replace the whole
toilet?  :( it is a Thetford, Aqua-magic Galaxy Starlite, pretty fancy name for just
a pooper huh. I'm certainly not wanting to hear I need to replace the whole
toilet, it just isn't in the budget but what do ya think?
The other option is....we do have alot of hard water in this area and although
I have a filter on my line the toilet still accumulates hard water yuk. I'm wondering
if hard water deposit has done this.

I have had good luck with after cleaning, put a little vaseline on the seal. Worked for me.

thanks Gary, that was the page on Thetford that I found but you are right, I was
unable to find the cleaning tool seperately, it said to call the phone number and
ask for part # 08195. But I am going to give CLR a whirl and hopefully I won't
have to do any nasty repairs.

I was told by an RV tech that I should never use Limeaway or CLR in plastic toilets, but that the porcelain ones are OK. Hope that it won't melt your toilet!

Kirk said:
I was told by an RV tech that I should never use Limeaway or CLR in plastic toilets, but that the porcelain ones are OK. Hope that it won't melt your toilet!

I never heard of that and have used both products on thetford toilets in previous MH with no problem.

Having the same problem with the toilet not holding water.  So... is CLR bad or good?  If bad, what is recommended?

ava:

Not sure what the valve mechanisim is like on your Thetford, however, while the seal should occasionally be checked, cleaned and a very light application of vaseline applied, ALSO, be sure to thoroughly clean the groove that this seal slides and seats into!  Use an old toothbrush and perhaps a firm paperclip to remove impacted tissue and other stuff from inside and around this groove. You might be surprised by what you find impacted inside this groove.  DON'T scratch too hard with the paperclip but be firm, and,....DON'T drop the toothbrush or clip into your tank.  :D :D  Otherwise, give Thetford a call.  They are VERY helpful.  Steve & Lynette 

FWIW.. A special Teflon grease/lube is available at your swimming pool store. Specifically for rubber O-rings. It is Called ALADDIN MAGIC LUBE, made by Dupont.  # 630 or #631. 1 oz tube.

That certainly should take the uncertainty out of a choice.

Certainly the toilet ring should be in good shape and clean for anything to work.

carson FL

I ordered some parts for my toilet today.  This place seems to have a decent selection.

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/ProdSelect.asp?SID=32&DID=79&CID=237

It really isn't that much harder to replace that seal, at least on my model, than friggin' around with cleaning and so forth.  Took me about half an hour, (first time) and I have a perfect toilet again.

sorry I didn't update on this sooner, I've been so busy ending up the school
year but am now on summer break. I purchased the lime away, cleaned it
real good twice and now it holds water. Didn't put any lube stuff on it cause
I spent enough money buying lime away  ;D I run a tight budget!
The lime away didn't hurt the toilet and I even used it around the drain in the
bathroom sink where the mineral water showed and its nice and clean too.

That's what the site said, not to use petroleum jelly or vegetable oil, and recommended olive oil or manufacturers recommended lube.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom