What was the first year....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EMS1

What was the first year Ford put the V10 in their Chasis??

From Wikkipedia

[edit] 6.8 L V10
The 6.8 L (6760 cc, 413 CID) V10 is another variation of the Modular family created for use in large trucks. Bore size is 90.2 mm (3.552 in) and stroke is 105.8 mm (4.165 in), identical to the 5.4 L V8. Both 2-valve and 3-valve versions are currently produced. The 6.8 L uses a balance shaft to quell vibrations inherent to a 90? bank angle V10 engine configuration. The 2-valve version, built at Ford's Windsor, Ontario LVL engine line, was first introduced in 1997. For 2005, Ford introduced a 3-valve non-VCT version of the 6.8 L V10 . The 3-valve engine is built alongside the 2-valve engine at Ford's Windsor, Ontario engine plant.

Vehicles equipped with the 6.8 L V10 Modular engine include the following:

[edit] 2-valve
1997?present Ford E-Series, 2-valve SOHC, 305 hp (227 kW) and 420 lb?ft (569 N?m) ratings for 2000 and later model years
1999?2004 Ford F-Series Super Duty, 2-valve SOHC, 310 hp (231 kW) and 425 lb?ft (576 N?m) ratings for 2000 and later model years
2000?2005 Ford Excursion, 2-valve SOHC, 310 hp (231 kW) and 425 lb?ft (576 N?m)

[edit] 3-valve
2005?present Ford F-Series Super Duty, 3-valve SOHC, 362 hp (270 kW) and 457 lb?ft (620 N?m).

If it were a V10 in a 95 where would i fing a tag and what would it say indicating a V10??

A '95 will have the Ford 460 V8 engine, the previous generation to the V10 for Super Duty chassis (including RV's).  That's what I have in my '94.

I agree with Lou - the V10 did not get into the Ford F53 RV chassis until 1999. I think the Class C motorhomes built on F350 chassis has it a year earlier, inline with the dates shown in Wiki for the F-Superduty chassis.

I am looking for some input on this, I bought my MH about a month ago. I have never owned one and don't really know anything about fords..I'm Chev guy.

The tag hanging off the rear view mirror says it had a V-10 and my sales slip says it's a 10 cylinder.....but after doing research I find out it's really only a 460.

Question is.....what should I do about it????

Those are errors made by the seller, which I assume is a dealership.  They should have known better if they have been in the RV business long.

What do you WANT to do about it?  If you wanted to return the motorhome due to false advertising or get a partial refund... you may be entitled, but I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle.  At the very least you could contact someone and express your displeasure over the mistake, and see if they make any offers.  But they could very well ask, "what do you want us to do about it?" and you need to have a reasonable answer ready.

Well, you got a Ford engine and it is the standard Ford big block engine for a 1995, and the mileage and age is as described. And there was no V10 available then, so you can't claim you didn't get an option you expected.  It's just that its a V8 rather than a V10, right?  SO I agree with Scotty: what  do YOU want them to do?  You can try to punish them for a mistake and sloppy, unprofessional salesmanship, but you can't change the engine cause it what it is.

My thoughts are if I was to go into a GM dealer to buy a pick up truck and they told me the truck had a 350 engine and 2 weeks later I find out it's a 305 I would not be happy....because there is a difference.

EMS1 said:
I am looking for some input on this, I bought my MH about a month ago. I have never owned one and don't really know anything about fords..I'm Chev guy.

The tag hanging off the rear view mirror says it had a V-10 and my sales slip says it's a 10 cylinder.....but after doing research I find out it's really only a 460.

Question is.....what should I do about it????

Only a 460? The Ford V-10 is only a 413!  The 460 V8 is larger than the V10 and is a very good reliable engine. And less moving parts. And I bet it gets better MPG than the V-10.  Be happy with it.

I would prefer the 460 over the V-10 myself (should I run out of here now? ;D)

BTW, I am mainly a Chevy guy too, but I do own a couple of Ford Mustangs (3.8L).

-Don- SSF, CA

My thoughts are if I was to go into a GM dealer to buy a pick up truck and they told me the truck had a 350 engine and 2 weeks later I find out it's a 305 I would not be happy....because there is a difference.

The 305 and 350 were alternate engines available in the same truck, so advertising one vs the other makes a real difference to the buyer and in the price. The 413V10 and the 460V8  are not alternates - the V10 succeeded the V8 in the Ford engine line-up. You could not have got a V10 in 1995 no matter where you shopped, so there is no question of a bait and switch tactic.  Advertising a V10 in place of a V8 is probably ignorance and error rather than malfeasance.

If you feel you would NOT have bought it if they had advertised it as a V8, then you should drive it to the dealer and demand your money back or a credit towards a newer model with the V10.  However you are going to have to step up to 1999 to get a V10, if that is what you want, so be prepared to write a bigger check.

I feel your pain. It was not at all fair what happened to you. However, have you thought about trying to put the experience behind you and just go out and enjoy it for a few years and then upgrade to something newer. In any case hope you enjoy the RV travel. Good luck.

Becks said:
I feel your pain. It was not at all fair what happened to you. However, have you thought about trying to put the experience behind you and just go out and enjoy it for a few years and then upgrade to something newer. In any case hope you enjoy the RV travel. Good luck.
Good comments.  Good to just chock it up to a learning experience and move on and enjoy the lifestyle.

EMS1 said:

Don't believe anything from a vehicle salesman. They are paid to make the sale any way they can. But in your case, and perhaps even in mine, it could be honest mistakes. But the point is you have to check yourself on any used vehicle.

They told me that my tranny was an Alison. It's really a GM Hydra-Matic 4L80-E.

But if they are really "mistakes", I just have to wonder why they always error on the side that will help them make the sale ;D.

But why do you prefer the V-10 over the time proved 460?, just because it's a newer design?

-Don- SSF, CA​

this is why you alway's look at everthing, including under the hood :) ya alway's gotta assume that they do not know what they are talking about.

DonTom said:
But why do you prefer the V-10 over the time proved 460?, just because it's a newer design?

I think it's just the principle of the thing, being wrongly told that the rig had a newer, more modern engine than it really does.

But as we've learned, the 460 is a perfectly acceptable power plant and has advantages of its own over the V-10.  Plus when you do a tune-up you won't have to spend money on the 2 extra spark plugs.  ;D

scottydl said:
I think it's just the principle of the thing, being wrongly told that the rig had a newer, more modern engine than it really does.

But as we've learned, the 460 is a perfectly acceptable power plant and has advantages of its own over the V-10.  Plus when you do a tune-up you won't have to spend money on the 2 extra spark plugs.   ;D

Nor the time to get to the two extra plugs.

I cannot think of a single advantage of the V-10 over the 460. If all else were the same, I certainly would pick the 460, even if the V-10 performs a bit better at some RPM range or whatever. Why have more parts to fail and try to get more performance out of a smaller engine, when the 460 is well proved to be a good reliable engine with enough guts?

But it might have just been a mistake. So many Ford RV's have the V-10 that it could be assumed by some people. But that's a mistake that I would be happy with.

-Don- Reno, NV

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom