Water hose hookup on fresh water tank/black water flush port

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RetiredLE

I have a question regarding the fresh water attach point on our Winnebago Brave.  When dumping the black/gray water tanks prior to departure, can I switch the fresh water hose to the black water tank flush port, or do I need two separate hoses?

Attachments

• Fresh water sewage panel.jpg
    Fresh water sewage panel.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 66
I always use a separate hose, I never share my fresh water hose with anything else.  I have a 10' grey hose that is just for flushing the tank.

I'm with Steve on this one.  Seperate gray hose, and even have a dedicated quick connect on the hose and the other half on the Black tank flusher inlet.  Fast and easy.....

What about a Y fitting (with shutoffs) mounted at the bottom? 

Attachments

• Y fitting.jpg
    Y fitting.jpg
    2.3 KB · Views: 23
  • Y fitting.jpg
    Y fitting.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 21
Absolutely separate hoses and kept in separate places!  We even wash the campground spigot before attaching our water hose.  You'll be surprised at some of the horror stories reported here.  You might want to use the red search button above to learn more about water hoses vs. waste hoses.  Under the Shade Tree, the thread Scary Water might get you started.

ArdraF

We did buy some bleach spray for that purpose.  I wasn't sure if the waste tank flush port had the potential to backflush and contaminate the fresh water hose.

Allow me to second what Adra says:  never use anything but a white potable water hose for the fresh water system, never allow it to even touch the waste water system and store it in a compartment separate from the sewerage gear.   Use a colored hose, green, black or whatever for sewerage uses.

Back flow is always possible and contamination is very easy.

Diarrhea is no fun in an RV.  Better to maintian strict sanitary discipline.

RetiredLE said:
I have a question regarding the fresh water attach point on our Winnebago Brave.  When dumping the black/gray water tanks prior to departure, can I switch the fresh water hose to the black water tank flush port, or do I need two separate hoses?

There is a check valve in the black tank flush fitting so there is most likely a 99.9% chance you would be fine using the same hose for both.  However I don't like the odds of the .1% chance of a bacteria problem, so we use a separate hose for the flush.  We also spray bleach on a campground water faucet hose bib before I hook up the hose when we are getting set up.

I also wish the fresh water inlet coupling was in another compartment. I use a quick disconnect with a plastic plug over the fresh water coupling when not hooked to the hose. Art

IMHO, the flush fitting is not even needed if you only empty your black holding tank only when it's full.  That being said, we also have a flush fitting, and although we have never needed to use it, I would only use an old hose to hook up to it....definately not the drinking water hose.

PS.  We were at Cheyenne Mountain State Park in Colorado Springs last weekend, and we saw the "Campground Hosts" drive around when people vacated the sites, and used a bleach solution on all the faucets.  I told them THANKS!  :D  On the BAD side, we saw a neighbor empty his "porta pottie" in his concrete sewer area at his site without lifting the metal sewer lid....stuff went everywhere!  :eek:

It pays to use disenfectant on everything!  :)

Another good idea would be if you know for sure there will be a dump site at your next destination, leave the black water tank full or nearly so to help break up solids on the way (aided by the vehicle's motion) and dump it once you arrive.  But that would only work if you knew for sure there was a dump site at your destination.

If the check valve on the tank flush fails, you'll have bigger problems than what hose you use.

On the fitting going into the tank, I also use one of these anti-siphon valves between the fitting and the hose. There is no check valve on our flush system. When you remove the hose water will run out of the fitting. That is why I use the anti-siphon fitting. If the hose loses pressure the fitting opens and anything coming back is dumped into the compartment and doesn't go back into the hose.

I also use a section of old garden hose to connect to the flushing system.

I like the idea of an anti-siphon valve on the black tank flush connection.  Does anyone know how high up on the side of the black tank does the flush enter?  How full would the tank have to be for waste water to flow out the flush line if the check valve failed?  One thing I definitely will give Winnebago credit for on our coach is that all the black/gray tank hookups are in one compartment and the fresh water connections are in another with the electrical stuff.  On our last two Fleetwoods everything was in the same compartment.

Wagonmaster2

Wagonmaster2 said:
Does anyone know how high up on the side of the black tank does the flush enter?   

On ours, it's VERY close to the top of the tank...maybe 2 inches below the top...with about 6 inches below to the bottom.  The tank would have to be full for anything to flow out of the flush.....if the check valve failed of course.  ;)

Wagonmaster2 said:
One thing I definitely will give Winnebago credit for on our coach is that all the black/gray tank hookups are in one compartment and the fresh water connections are in another with the electrical stuff.  On our last two Fleetwoods everything was in the same compartment.

Wagonmaster2

Your unit must be a newer model.  Our 2003 Brave has them in the same compartment.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom