Generator Exhaust Options

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ned said:
Tom,

If you get a Genturi, then you can park next to me again.  Otherwise, you just can't use your generator :)

Well, if I park next to you Deisel exhaust fumes won't be a problem (My rig is a gas buggy)

However can you point me to a Genturi? I've never seen one, only the diagrams.  It sounds like a "Best of both worlds" situtation

If I remember the article on the member who ran it through the roof, He was able to find a wall to run it up inside the MH.  As it happens, the Generator in my MH is situtated where that would be possible, I have a 4" (Well 3 1/2) gap between wall members I could pipe through to the roof very close to it,  However i"m not sure if the black tank is in the way or not, and that's one piece of plastic I'd rather NOT overheat

John In Detroit said:
Well, if I park next to you Deisel exhaust fumes won't be a problem (My rig is a gas buggy)

However can you point me to a Genturi? I've never seen one, only the diagrams. It sounds like a "Best of both worlds" situtation

If I remember the article on the member who ran it through the roof, He was able to find a wall to run it up inside the MH. As it happens, the Generator in my MH is situtated where that would be possible, I have a 4" (Well 3 1/2) gap between wall members I could pipe through to the roof very close to it, However i"m not sure if the black tank is in the way or not, and that's one piece of plastic I'd rather NOT overheat

John:

Venturi works for gas as well as diesel. I would be concerened with leaks inside walls leading to carbon monoxide poisoning. Venturi works very well outside and only takes a couple of minutes to install.

Genturi is a Camco product.  Just about any RV supply store that sells Camco products should have it.

John

In addition to the other comments, you need to consider the external heat of the exhaust. The Genturi has a double wall, so the outside stays cool.

There is no LAW that requires an exhaust vent at FMCA's  rallies. Mostly they have quiet hours from 10.00 PM. till 7.00 AM.
They do require that you place a dish with water under the exhaust outlet when parked on grass.
I believe that less than 10% of the motorhomes do have or use an exhaust vent at FMCA's conventions.
We can do an actual count in Q-zite.

Chris

Multi party reply...

I know that the Genturi is a double wall, The article I recall explained that fully? And I fully understand why (I have done a lot of work on cars and the like over the years and know how hot that pipe can get

As for Jeff's concern about leaks

The article I saw had a single pipe that ran from "Basement" (Actually under the RV) through the roof, one piece, 10' long should do that.? The exhause extender ran within that pipe so even if it leaked exhaust fumes the leak would be "exhausted" to the roof (Since the hot gas rises in most conditions)

I do recall reading the article with interest and with a critical eye due to heat and possible leak issues, all of which were addressed

Finally,,, Thanks to the folks who posted the manafacturer's name, Now I can start looking for it

Tom said:
John

In addition to the other comments, you need to consider the external heat of the exhaust. The Genturi has a double wall, so the outside stays cool.

Tom:

My Genturi is single-walled. Uses a venturi system to draw cool air into the pipe to keep it cool.

Jeff /Washington said:
Tom:

My Genturi is single-walled. Uses a venturi system to draw cool air into the pipe to keep it cool.

I see that from looking at the proper web page.  Looks like my local RV stores carry the line but are not listed as "official" dealers
However my next camping trip will take me within spitting distance of two official dealers

So I should have one by the end of September... If, that is, K D Michaels gets the paint on the rig (Due out of shop THU)

Jeff /Washington said:
My Genturi is single-walled.

Jeff, I might be getting senile. I'll have to get it out of the storage bay and check it.

chris said:
There is no LAW that requires an exhaust vent at FMCA's rallies.

Thanks Chris. I'm beginning to think I imagined that.

BTW where are you guys? I assume you'll soon be making your way to the Salem rally (?) We're currently near the end of our trip to OR and WA and are at the service center in Harrisburg.

The Genturi is a large plastic single wall pipe, much larger than the exhaust pipe. ?The convection currents keep it cool. ?It only gets warm to the touch.

Could be, we've had it since 2/98.  There have been some design changes over the years, but I don't recall ever seeing a double wall model.

All the Genturi/s  have seen consist of three sections of black three inch pipe that connect to gether.  The section that connects to the exhaust pipe has a metal pipe that is mounted near the end of the black pipe and extends in the center up the black pipe for a few inches.  The metal pipe has a 90 degree bend where it comes out of the black pipe and this is what connects to the generator exhaust.  The warm exhaust rises up the black pipe drawing additional air up with it from the space between the metal and black pipe.

You must have the cheap model also Ron  ;D

I just pulled mine out of the storage bin ... ouch! gotta remember to order the slide tray. Mine is exactly the way you described it Ron. I guess I remembered looking at one end of the large plastic pipe and seeing the metal pipe disappear inside. I must have assumed it went all the way through, but it doesn't  :-[

Phil, if it does the job, you can park next to me any time :)? As long as the fumes don't come in my windows, then you might get a free potato.

Ron said:
Are you tring to tell use that we all got the cheap version now including you.

Nope. Y'all got the cheap one and I got the free one  ;D

Tom said:
Nope. Y'all got the cheap one and I got the free one ;D

Moral of the story: Park next to someone who will buy you a Genturi. ;) ;)

I'm thinking of modifying the "top" end of my Genturi to have a 90 degree elbow that can be aimed at anyone lobbing potatoes in my direction. If I reduce the diameter, does that mean I can get a better aim and the exhaust fumes will travel further?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom