The MiFi is right for you, IF ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlexSian

Its been my job to spend the last few days with the MiFi to do a review for the company I work for, and since I spend a lot of time on RV forums I've prepared this post that specifically addresses the RVer who will very likely be wondering if the MiFi is for them.

There is a LOT of buzz about the "MiFi". Its being sold by Verizon right now, and will be sold by Sprint in June, and like to be sold by AT&T and possibly other carriers, down the road.

What is it? its a tiny battery-powered hotspot that allows customers to have as many as five computers (or other wifi-enabled devices) to access the internet using cellular mobile broadband.

Many of you already have something like an "aircard" or a "USB modem" that attaches to ONE computer and gives it internet access. The MiFi is like that, except its a wifi hotspot that easily allows multiple computers the same internet access, for the same monthly fee. Nothing like it has ever been sold by a cellular carrier before.

Many of you have also bought "cellular routers" like the popular models from Cradlepoint, that allow you to share your aircard or USB modem's connectivity with multiple computers. The MiFi accomplishes the same thing, but the modem is built into (embedded) the MiFi so there is nothing attached making it much more portable.

In my opinion, the combination of Cradlepoint router and separate USB modem or expresscard is the better solution because the MiFi:[*]has NO antenna jack to easily allow for high-antenna antennas and direct-connect amp;
[*]would require a more expensive 'wireless amplifier' to improve cellular signal;
[*]is tied to ONE carrier and cannot be used with multiple carriers like a cradlepoint router can;
[*]can only tether via USB cable. it has NO ethernet port;
[*]cannot tether to one computer and STILL be a WiFi hotspot;
[*]to allow for longer battery life, it only has about 30ft of WiFi range.
[*]must be replaced when 4G or other future technology is viable.

Having said all that, there is one group of RVers that I think are great candidates for the Mifi:[*]you already own a wireless signal amplifier
[*]all the equipment you want to get online already has WiFi capability
[*]you only need a hotspot for use while traveling in an RV (not a home) OR
[*]your need for a hotspot in a home doesn't require more than 30ft wifi range
[*]you have NO need to tether a computer and still have a WiFi hotspot
[*]one carrier at a time doesn't bother you
[*]if you can answer Yes to the last six points, you should be happy with a MiFi

I hope that this post helps some RVers who are contemplating whether or not to get the MiFi.

On of the "Toys" I picked up.. Likely back when Comp Useless went out of business,, Is a LINKSYS WGA54G  Wireless game adapter

Well, though it's an "off label" use I found that it works very well as a Wi-Fi adapter for devices that do not support any connection save CAT-5.

Right now, because it is superior to the USB dongle I have, I'm using it to post this,  I just plugged the computer in ,verified connection (It's an open router here) and I"m on line.... (Computer has very good fire wall software)

IN the motor home I can plug it into the WAN connection on my Hawking, the WGA uses a default address ending in .250, he Hawking .259 so there is no conflict and a LInksys router .1 (Again no conflict) so we are getting along great

Computer is .118

When I hook to the hawking in the MH then both REPLAYS come on line (if I'm in range of a router)

I'm starting to like this WGA54G  It makes non-WI-FI devices work on Wi-Fi just fine... Now page 2.

The downside: Though it will connect to a non-protected router by just pressing RESET, if the router has WEP or WPA I must know the SSID and codes to access.. In cases like that I use the USB dongle (which is flakey here) to get the SSID,  Then I use the config utility (After reseting the WGA) to set it up.. Then it's plug and play

Thanks for the report Alex, much appreciated.

Gee, it looks like I am in the second group.  For me to use Cradle Point I would need to buy the CradlePoint, upgrade my internal broadband card. 

I have an iTouch that was lacking WiFi last summer, the internal antenna didn't always have a great signal.  This MiFi I could set at a high point on a window.  True? 

Right now there is great pricing, $74 and a $50 rebate.  Net $24 nice.  Way below CreadlePoint. 

Question, I have a wifi printer as well, I can hook ip up via USB, but does it act as a router between devices?

PancakeBill said:
Gee, it looks like I am in the second group.  For me to use Cradle Point I would need to buy the CradlePoint, upgrade my internal broadband card. 
I have an iTouch that was lacking WiFi last summer, the internal antenna didn't always have a great signal.  This MiFi I could set at a high point on a window.  True? 
Right now there is great pricing, $74 and a $50 rebate.  Net $24 nice.  Way below CreadlePoint. 
Question, I have a wifi printer as well, I can hook ip up via USB, but does it act as a router between devices?
upgrading your internal wifi card is not mandatory. the cradlepoint mbr1000 supports wifi b/g/n
sure, you can put a mifi in a window to receive better cellular signal, but remember, you'll only be able to use the ipod touch as much as 30ft away from MiFi, because of its weak wifi signal.
don't expect to be able to attach a printer via USB to a MiFi or even a cradlepoint. neither supports attached USB printers. both support wifi printers.

My printer has USB AND wifi capabilities.  I want to use the MiFI as a bridge.  USB, just connect to my notebook.  Not sure where you got the upgrade for wifi card in PC, don't think I inferred that. 

Looking to use MiFi instead of internal broadband card.

I've been using Verizon's MiFi for a few months now and I'm really happy with it.  It's very small and portable, and has a good battery life.  We are able to use it much farther than the advertised 30' with success....particularly in our home.  I also have one of Verizon's USB air cards and like it as well - it goes with me more often when I travel because I don't have to rely on a battery being charged or carrying a USB cable.  Just personal preference.  They're both very good and reliable.

EVDOalex said:
Its been my job to spend the last few days with the MiFi to do a review for the company I work for, and since I spend a lot of time on RV forums I've prepared this post that specifically addresses the RVer who will very likely be wondering if the MiFi is for them.

There is a LOT of buzz about the "MiFi". Its being sold by Verizon right now, and will be sold by Sprint in June, and like to be sold by AT&T and possibly other carriers, down the road.

What is it? its a tiny battery-powered hotspot that allows customers to have as many as five computers (or other wifi-enabled devices) to access the internet using cellular mobile broadband.

Many of you already have something like an "aircard" or a "USB modem" that attaches to ONE computer and gives it internet access. The MiFi is like that, except its a wifi hotspot that easily allows multiple computers the same internet access, for the same monthly fee. Nothing like it has ever been sold by a cellular carrier before.

Many of you have also bought "cellular routers" like the popular models from Cradlepoint, that allow you to share your aircard or USB modem's connectivity with multiple computers. The MiFi accomplishes the same thing, but the modem is built into (embedded) the MiFi so there is nothing attached making it much more portable.

In my opinion, the combination of Cradlepoint router and separate USB modem or expresscard is the better solution because the MiFi:[*]has NO antenna jack to easily allow for high-antenna antennas and direct-connect amp;
[*]would require a more expensive 'wireless amplifier' to improve cellular signal;
[*]is tied to ONE carrier and cannot be used with multiple carriers like a cradlepoint router can;
[*]can only tether via USB cable. it has NO ethernet port;
[*]cannot tether to one computer and STILL be a WiFi hotspot;
[*]to allow for longer battery life, it only has about 30ft of WiFi range.
[*]must be replaced when 4G or other future technology is viable.

Having said all that, there is one group of RVers that I think are great candidates for the Mifi:[*]you already own a wireless signal amplifier
[*]all the equipment you want to get online already has WiFi capability
[*]you only need a hotspot for use while traveling in an RV (not a home) OR
[*]your need for a hotspot in a home doesn't require more than 30ft wifi range
[*]you have NO need to tether a computer and still have a WiFi hotspot
[*]one carrier at a time doesn't bother you
[*]if you can answer Yes to the last six points, you should be happy with a MiFi

I hope that this post helps some RVers who are contemplating whether or not to get the MiFi.

That is spot on and very clear.

Since I'm not the one paying for it, all the laptops (yeah, plural) got internal EVDO modems. The setup can be a real pain because it isn't usually a single piece of software but once all that is done, it is very easy to use. It costs the same as any EVDO card/USB but unlike them, it can't be used on another computer, it is dedicated to the machine.

All that being said, it is nice not to have to worry about a connection no matter where you go so long as service is available.

The other little you that RVers might want to look at is the new Palm Pre Plus and Pixie Plus from Verizon. Those phones can act as a WiFi hotspot and allow up to five computers to use the connection. The downside is cost. There is a heft monthly fee in additional to the voice and mandatory data plan to also use the WiFi "hotspot" feature. What is nice, like the internal EVDO modems is that you just take your phone and use your laptop any place there is service.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom