Independent Front Suspension Freightliner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

06AllegroBus40QSP

Whats everyones take on the independent front suspension for the freightliner chassis? I have heard that it requires more "working" back and forth of the steering wheel in minor movements to keep the coach straight, and that it's not as stable as a solid front axle. Can anybody clarify this? I also heard that there are a lot of alignment issues with the independent as well. Freightliner's web site says opposite though???

Personal opinions and self experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

01 Allegro 31DA Ford Gas
06 Allegro Bus 40QSP - Due 10/05
Ripon, CA

Having had a coaches with Independent Front Suspension (IFS) and coaches without IFS I would not even consider any coach without IFS.  I have driven both Freightliner chassis with IFS and our Eagle is on a Spartan Chassis with IFS.  Absolutely no coach would be considered unless it has IFS.  Hope that answers your question.

06AllegroBus40QSP said:
Whats everyones take on the independent front suspension for the Freightliner chassis? I have heard that it requires more "working" back and forth of the steering wheel in minor movements to keep the coach straight, and that it's not as stable as a solid front axle. Can anybody clarify this? I also heard that there are a lot of alignment issues with the independent as well. Freightliner's web site says opposite though???

Personal opinions and self experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

01 Allegro 31DA Ford Gas
06 Allegro Bus 40QSP - Due 10/05
Ripon, CA

I have a 2001 Tradewinds with Freightliner's earlier Neway IFS and would not be without it. Had a Friend with a Gulfstream on a Freightliner chassis without IFS follow me onto a campground with a big dip that you hit at an angle and he damaged his wheel well when he bottomed out, we felt nothing.

When you cross over any type  of angled driveway, RR track, bump, etc the front of our coach stays level. When the rear axle hits them we can tell the difference of IFS.

I'm surprised to hear that anybody thinks an IFS is inferior in any way to a solid axle.  If any front suspension is likely to have tracking problems and the need for frequent steering wheel movement, it is most likely a solid axle with leaf springs.  I'm not condemning solid axles - I drive one myself - but by all means select an good IFS if it is in your price range.

One thought occurs to me: the old Chevy P32 chassis had an IFS and was also prone to steering problems.  This had nothing to do with the independent suspension per se, but instead was caused by a very sloppy bell crank and mediocre quality control in some other steering system parts. I wonder if your source is thinking of that chassis and tarring all IFS with the same brush?

Back
Top Bottom