Heading to Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
After spending several months completing the front yard landscaping on our newly built house, we are finally on the road again heading to Indiana then crossing the Canadian border at Suet Saint Marie.  Our plan is to visit the Canadian Maritimes using Betty and Ardra' logs as guidelines.

Yesterday, we pulled out of Kernville, CA after several days cleaning, loading and getting ready.  We tossed the 2 cats in, with the dog plowing his way past us trying to get in to the coach first.  Last night we stayed at the Elks Lodge in Mesquite, NV in 100 degree heat.  We decided to boondock thinking the evening would cool off; but I don't think it saved us much as we ran the generator to keep the coach cool.  We turned the generator off around midnight because we were leery of running it while we slept, so it was a warm night.

Today we head to Green River in Utah.  We plan to stay in the state park, then on Wednesday we will be in Breckenridge for a couple of days.

Marsha~

Marsha,

I wish you had been on HSJ as I am carrying a guide book on the Maritimes in my coach for your trip.  Russ loaned it to me  telling me to give it to someone who was making the trip.  Oh well you will find the way.  Send messages or questions any time as we still have vivid fond memories of the trip.  Hopefully you will not run into the very high fuel cost we encountered.  Get fudge and ride a surrey in Mackinaw.

BB

Betty, any chance you could drop it in the mail for me?  The first wedding we will be attending is in Angola, Indiana so we'll be there for several days, arriving on the 28th.  My sister lives there.  I'll be glad to pay the postage if you wouldn't mind sending it to her house.

BTW, Kasey, our granddaughter, had a great little recital; of course she was the cutest one there  8).  I'm really glad we didn't miss the first one.  Since we had only sons, I was used to little league, T-ball and soccer.  A dance recital is a whole 'nuther ball game.

Ron, we will be heading back toward home sometime in Sept and just may go through Montana.  I'll let  you know as we go along.  We are trying to be very "free and non-committed" on this trip.

Marsha~

Marsha,

Send me a personal email with address and I will be happy to mail the book. (if I can find it now )  You know how easy it is to lose things in a big motorhome that you haven't used for a day or two.

Betty

Marsha/CA said:
...on Wednesday we will be in Breckenridge for a couple of days.  Marsha~

I thought Detroit was the only place on earth one could spend a couple of days.... on a Wednesday ;) :D :D

You guys have a great summer trip.  I need a few more do not miss  places added to my trip list.  I keep saying.... maybe next year...

Marsha, Donna and I are still traveling, in fact we're in Michigan City IN now.  We're not sure what this summer will bring, but we should be around either at home in Dartmouth, or at the cottage neaar Shediac NB.  As time goes by, keep us informed and we will need to meet, maybe even travel together a few days.  If we're at the cottage depending on timing, there might be availability of boondocking, and I can almost guarantee that you won't need the air.

Ed

Marsha,

In Sault Ste. Marie MI there's a campground right on the river by the "Soo" locks.  It's fun to take your chairs down by the water and just watch the big freighters go by.  Also, one of the ferries has a fenced and locked lot in which to park the RV when you go over to Mackinaw Island - which you shouldn't miss.

Sure hope you have up-to-date GPS maps for Canada, as well as the latest TL campground directory.  Finding campgrounds is not always an easy process.  OTOH, people are pretty friendly and helpful.  Our first night we couldn't find the first two campgrounds we were looking for, stopped at an empty store and Jerry went across the street to ask that store owner if he thought it would be okay to spend the night there.  He said no problem but it might be a little noisy and why don't we just go down the road another half mile to the RV park there - the one not in the book, of course.  It was a great example of Canadian hospitality.

Enjoy your wedding and have fun in the Maritimes.

ArdraF

BTW I meant to remind you to loose the "EH" throughout most of Canada, particularly in the Atlantic.  Just like most Americans don't use "y'all", most Canadians don't add "eh" to every sentence.
    However, I do suggest that you brush up on your french to make it easier to spend time in Quebec where there are NO ENGLISH Road signs.  Things like EST for east or OUEST for west are easy, but caution signs, detour and the like can be dangerous, and/or frustrating.  And after driving up and down the East coast I'd consider Montreal drivers to still be the worst, so be careful.

Thanks for all the great advice.

Ardra, Seems like the first part of this trip is a "giant" push because of timing.  Between weddings, I'm trying to spend some time with my mom in Indiana who has advanced Alzheimers to the point that the facility where she is staying is having to sedate her because of her behavior.  So I'm trying to allow time to check the situation out.  I don't want them sedating her for their convenience.  We've been to Mackinaw Island and the "soo" locks, so I won't feel guilty "flying by" so to speak.  ;D  But I didn't know about the campgrounds.  We did just buy the new Streets & Maps 2009 version, along with a new GPS.  My Trailer Life Book is very out of date so I need to pick up a new one.  I've been using Woodalls "online" but we will probably lose satellite service at some point, so the book will be invaluable, I'm sure.

Ed, I'll keep you posted on our locations and I'll remember not to use the 'eh with every sentence..... :p  We spent a great deal of time in Edmonton a couple of years back and there they do use the 'eh quite a bit.  Plus it was just a "quip" for my thread subject.  Now regarding the french, I'm gonna be in a great deal of trouble.  I'm not looking forward to that part of the trip at all.  I hate feeling lost and not knowing where I'm going.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
  Now regarding the french, I'm gonna be in a great deal of trouble.  I'm not looking forward to that part of the trip at all.  I hate feeling lost and not knowing where I'm going.

Marsha,

If you just study on on a few key words needed for navigation you will be fine.  I did not enjoy the  lack of ability to read the signs while in Quebec  but I sure felt literate when I crossed back into  English speaking territory.  I used the   language barrier to  make me  more empathetic with those who are of languages other  than English.  I try to speak to foreign tourists as much as possible.

Now about that book....................What a small world to meet you and Tim  at the rest stop Visitor Welcome Center today in Colorado.  I really would have sprung  for the postage.  What a hoot coincidence meeting.  And  we heard you honk when you went by our boon dock by the river spot in Eagle. The roaring of the rushing river is deafening and all of this for free. Life is good.  Enjoy Atlantic Canada.

Betty

We are now in Breckenridge, CO.  What a beautiful location.  However, I70 heading east is awlful; rutted out, broken pieces...aaaarrrrggg....and it was my turn to drive up and over Vail Pass which is nearly 11,000 feet.  We are at Tiger Run RV park with snow capped mountains out the front window and to the south of us.  There is a large rushing creek next to the campground.

As Betty mentioned, on our way east from Green River, UT, we decided to stop at the Fruita rest stop because Tim didn't have a Colorado map.  As we were pulling in to the rest stop, he saw a gal waving enthusiastically, looked over at me and said..."that can't be Betty Brewer", but it was, right there in Fruita, CO.  As I opened the door, she stuck the book for Atlantic Canada in my hand and said:  "Hand delivered"

I wasn't sure if you would hear the diesel horn as we passed by your pull over spot....glad you did.  Thanks for the quick visit, it's always good seeing you and Terry. 

Tell Terry, Tim thinks he has figured out the funny little motor in the front....something to do with the step cover.

Marsha

Welcome to Colorado, Marsha. Our roads are almost as bad as California's  ;) Watch out for the cold front moving in tonight. After your 100 degrees, you'll probably freeze !

Isn't that a nice visitor center in Fruita? Nice state campground right down the road, too, if you're ever passing that way. Of course, they'll charge you an entrance fee for the motorhome AND the toad.

Safe travels
Wendy

Marsha, the "eh" jab was with a big smile, but what you find is that Canada is a big country with many regional differences.  As for Quebec, while the language will present some challenges, I'm sure you will find that people are so friendly and helpful that you won't have any problems.

I strongly second Hfx's view on the "eh" thing.

It is a joke that is long past it's best and tends to be irritating.  Canadians tend to be too polite to tell you that.

The other one is "Canuck".  Most of us don't feel like "Canucks", which is a word now limited to sportscasters.

And while I'm at it, Sault St. Marie has nothing to do with "Suet", see your first post  :))    Sault means Falls, ie  Sault St Marie = Saint Mary's Falls.    Suet is a birdfeed.

Brought to you in humility and humour by an immigrant to Canada who had to learn the same things.

Rankjo

Steve,

Thanks for changing the name of the thread.  I titled it only through pure jest...but apparently it's offensive.  So my apologies to all Canadians.  I also have been told that "Canadian Geese" are really called "Canada Geese".  Can any of you explain that one to me.

Ranjko,

Suet was a misspelling.  I'm a terrible speller and since it didn't pop up with the spell checker, I didn't bother to look it up.  I'm also malapropic, which adds a complete new dimension to my language skills.  Add that to being born to southern parents and it's a whole new ballgame.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
Steve,

Thanks for changing the name of the thread.  I titled it only through pure jest...but apparently it's offensive.  So my apologies to all Canadians.  I also have been told that "Canadian Geese" are really called "Canada Geese".   Can any of you explain that one to me.

No one can explain the logic of naming animals or birds. There are at least two names to everything scientific in this world, the scientific one and the common one. If you see one goose then it is a Canada Goose, if you see several then are they several Canada Geese or Canadian Geese. To see how silly this can get try it with a Titmouse. Would several of them be a group of Titmice?

Why do they call Death Valley a valley when it is not a valley? Why call Bryce Canyon a canyon when it it really an ampitheater. Why call Joshua Trees a tree when they are a member of the lily family? Why call it Crater Lake, it should be Cauldren Lake.

Now if you go to Yellowstone and dare call a Bison a Buffalo in front of a ranger you will get a long lecture about how stupid you are for calling a buffalo a bison. They are the ones being stupid since they have no clue about what a common name and a scientific name is and what they are used for.

You just can't figure out how the people who name things come to their decisions. Recently the bird naming gods decided to change the common name of the Rock Dove to the Rock Pigeon. Yet everyone commonly calls it a pigeon, so why not change the name to what people actually call it/

Marsha

>>Tell Terry, Tim thinks he has figured out the funny little motor in the front....something to do with the step cover.<<

The more I thought about it seemed to be a pump for the air reservoir.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom