Heading to Canada

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
    Just got an update from my son in law, it is still scheduled to make landfall at Halifax late tomorrow night as at least a category 2.  If that's the case, Fundy will only get the edge of the storm.  Don't know why, but we are heading home to be there, even though the coach will be in Shediac so no generator if the power goes.  Tim and Marsha, take care, we don't get hurricanes often, but they can be severe, alhough Fundy should be a good place to ride it out.

Below is a current Radar image of Bill..

It is from the CAN weather office.

Th US path is interesting... it'll veer off East after Nova Scotia and head towards Wales and Ireland.
US image here
Tom, are you watching?

See the Canada image here

Whatever you do..prepare for the worst... hope it'll be gentle. We need you on the Forum, Ed and Donna.

carson FL

John, thanks for the heads up. I haven't been paying attention to Bill. According to the BBC weather office, Bill will weaken significantly as it transits the cold waters of the Atlantic. Here's their Bill-related forecast:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/weather/hi/news/newsid_8216000/8216081.stm

Here's the UK Meteorological Office prediction for Bill:

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/tropicalcyclone/tcgts/wtnt80.txt

The sheets of rain and elevated winds started here about an hour ago, but we still predicted to only get hit with a glancing blow.  4 inches of rain and wind gusts of 60 to 75 miles per hour.  Hurricane is supposed to make landfall to the east, which is very scarcely populated.  If Marsha and Tim decided to keep their reservations at Fundy Park, they should only get a little bit of rain.

Well, Bill brought lots of rain, a bit of wind, and when all is said and done, it wasn't much of an event.  However, much better to have prepared and seen it veer east and only do minimal damage.  It was still packing hurricane force winds until it passed Nova Scotia, so we were lucky.

Marsha and Tim - Where are you and how did you fare with Bill???

ArdraF

Whew....we are fine, arriving at Fundy on Friday afternoon with no internet, no TV and no cell phone service.  We had wind, but not as much as we were prepared for.  Actually we went out to the coast to watch the waves; but they were nearly non-existent in the bay. 

We left Fundy this morning (Monday) arriving at Perth Andover, N.B south of Edmondston.  We had more rain today on the drive north than over the weekend.  Most of the campground at Fundy was hard sided campers, no tents, and our touring was in wind and light rain.

Thanks all for thinking of us.  Being west coast people, we had never experienced a hurricane, earthquakes yes, hurricane no, even if it was nearly non-existent.  FYI those of you who have been to Peggy's cove, it got hit with a lot of wind and water.  The road into Peggy's cove was covered with sea water and rocks that had come up with the waves and was impassable for a while.  Also a couple of buildings right at Peggy's Cove flooded and were beginning to falter.

At the moment we are in sunshine and big puffy clouds; full satellite service, as well as, cell phone.

Marsha~ 

Glad to hear you're both safe Marsha. We're putting up with CA weather, not as exciting as you've experienced  ;D  Tell Tim that I think of him every time we go under the Orwood railroad bridge, and hope his math was right when the train goes by  :eek:

Attachments

• Orwood_RR_bridge.jpg
    Orwood_RR_bridge.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Orwood_bridge_train.jpg
    Orwood_bridge_train.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 22
Marsha/CA said:
We left Fundy this morning (Monday) arriving at Perth Andover, N.B south of Edmondston.  We had more rain today on the drive north than over the weekend.  Most of the campground at Fundy was hard sided campers, no tents, and our touring was in wind and light rain.

Is the campground nice in Perth?  I have only driven through it once to go to Mount Carleton (boondocking campground).  They have running water, but not at the sites.  All sites are no service, it is really great.  Probably 30 miles from the closest house, really in the woods, talled mountain in NB, but that's a hill for anybody west of here.

Bon Voyage, see you in Q.  Hope you have a good trip heading west.  No more fresh mussels till you come back.

Regards, Donna & Ed

Ed,  I will most definitely miss the fresh mussels, might have to grab some today if a local Sobey's has them.

Marc, the campground is the Robert Baird Memorial Campground.  It's actually pretty nice with full hook-ups.  It's about 2 1/2 miles off of #2 right in Perth-Andover on highway 105.  The one you mentioned sounds nice; but we've been unable to use our roof internet satellite and tv for so long that we really wanted a "no-tree" site.  :D  And, this campground has "no" trees.

Tom, neat you think of Tim when you go under that old bridge.  He's a stickler for math and being correct.  You should see his spread sheet for this trip.

It's so strange to think that the US is just miles away!  Makes me a bit homesick.

Marsha~

Marsha/CA said:
It's so strange to think that the US is just miles away!  Makes me a bit homesick.

Marsha~

If you take the scenic route from Grand Falls to Edmundston, it will be even weirder because you will be able to see Maine just across the St. John River.  I always find it fascinating and weird at the same time, you just look across a river and there is another country.

Canada Update:

We are now in Dryden, Ontario and are making the swing toward home.  After leaving New Brunswick, we spent an extra day in Quebec City staying at Camping Transit and taking the ferry over for the day.  We did the shops and had a wonderful lunch at a little Italian Restaurant.  This is the best way to see Quebec City.

The next day we drove to Ottawa staying at Recreationland RV and Trailer Park.  We didn?t make reservations and to our surprise, they had only one site left and it was ?crappy?; but we were able to get internet satellite and TV.  The first day we were there was just beautiful and we located a fabulous dog park for Charlie.  It was off leash with scads of dogs running everywhere.  Canada is known for its great dog parks.  This one was on maybe 40 acres with fencing around the perimeter and open in the front.  We met a very nice man and walked the park with him and his dog.  Charlie was in heaven.

The next day we toured Parliament and the downtown area in downpours with very cool weather.  We were glad to be inside.  These buildings are very beautiful and ornate.  We had to go through tight security; but our tour guide was full of information.  We learned that Queen Victoria is/was a very loved queen and did a lot for Canada.

After Ottawa we headed toward Thunder Bay and took the most northerly route up Highway 11.  If you decide to do this route, be aware there are very few campgrounds if any.  Most are back off of the main highway with low branches and dirt roads.  However, it is very beautiful drive with lots of small lakes.  We spent two nights boondocking; the first at a Walmart that was actually quite good.  The second at a Huskey?s truck stop, which worked out just fine.  We were planning on taking 3 days to do the route of 600 miles; but the last day we couldn?t find anywhere to stay, so we pushed and drove close to 400 miles to get to Thunder Bay.  We had been in Thunder Bay at the KOA at a previous visit, so sprung the extra costs and headed there.

As I?ve mentioned before, great things can be found out in a campground laundry.  While doing the laundry I met a couple from Alberta, CN who were in Thunder Bay bear hunting?yes, I said bear hunting.  They were about our age and had a toy hauler parked about 15 miles north of our campground.  They hunt with power ?cross bows?.  In the toy hauler they carry an 8 wheel thing similar to an ATV.  They had a name for it; but I?ve forgotten.  It was for transporting the game back to camp so they could dress it out.  At any rate, they bait bear traps then sit back and well, you know the rest.  Fascinating folks.  They gave me a recommendation for a restaurant in Thunder Bay called ?The Prospector Steak House?.  It was fabulous!

I spent several hours on the internet trying to locate a place where Tim and I could camp and either hire a guide or rent a boat so that we could fish for Walleye.  I found one that looked somewhat good, called and because it is Labor Day weekend they had an over fill site that sounded like it might work.  Many of the fishing resorts/campground were like we found on the road to Thunder Bay?.off of the main highway quite a ways and hard to get to, so we felt lucky to have gotten a spot.

We took off for Dryden and the ?Bonnie Bay Resort?.  However after juggling and manipulating for well over an hour, we could not fit into their extra site, so we left.  Both of us were very disappointed as we had wanted to spend some days fishing and hanging out on the lake. 

This really threw us off, especially with a place to stay for the long weekend.  Stopped at a Walmart in Dryden and decided after we had a look around that we didn?t want to stay there.  Discouraged we trudged on looking for truck stops or other places where we could spend the night and regroup.  And a little overwhelmed as we thought we had the weekend planned.  As we were driving down the road heading to Kenora, I caught sight of a campground tucked back in the woods.  Both of us were tired and really didn?t want to keep going, so we turned around to see if they had a site and if we could fit.  They did?.we did?satellites both work and we are gonna wait the weekend out here.  The campground is very-very nice.  It?s in an open area with trees, large expansive camp sites and we are all very happy; including Charlie who can run to his heart?s content.  After checking in we found out that the lake we wanted to fish is very poor and no one in the area fishes it.  Guess someone was looking out for us.

We are beginning to get toured out and are missing home, so we?ve redone our route going to Winnipeg then Regina.  At that point we will head due south cross back into the States and spend a couple of days in Yellowstone.  After that we will go down Highway 93 and Tim can do his Highway 50 which he has wanted to do for years, then onto Reno and 395 toward home. 

Marsha.......Have you received my e-mail, with all the answers to your questions?

Mariekie

Marsha/CA said:
Canada Update
We are beginning to get toured out and are missing home, so we?ve redone our route going to Winnipeg then Regina.  At that point we will head due south cross back into the States and spend a couple of days in Yellowstone.  After that we will go down Highway 93 and Tim can do his Highway 50 which he has wanted to do for years, then onto Reno and 395 toward home. 
Marsha, we are enjoying your posts, though when we go for several days without wifi we have so much to do when we do get it that I miss some of your posts.  It's just like being there with you!

Are you going through Lake Tahoe on 50?  if so, we are also.  Our schedule is as firm as newly-made jello, but if you are going to be there, we'll keep in contact as we both progress and maybe we can meet you, Tim, and Charlie.  Our Sherlock loves watching dogs.

Linda

Lot's o' Luck meeting up with those 2 gypsies, we started crossing paths in IL in May, and actually were only about 50 miles apart at Fort Wayne, but schedules didn't allow for a "git together".  We finally met at a nice park in Charlottetown, PEI in July,with commitments that w would meet again upon their return from Newfoundland.  I think we saw them on the Trans Canada Hwy near Moncton going in the opposite direction as they were trying to avoid Hurricane Bill & we were trying to get home to secure the house.
    All that to say, you may well have to come to Quartzsite where they will be stationary for a couple of days.  ;D

Hfx_Cdn said:
...you may well have to come to Quartzsite where they will be stationary for a couple of days.   ;D

Yeah, Linda, you need to come to Quartzsite  :D

Wendy

Ed....were we a streak of lightening when we passed you in Moncton?    :p  I must tell you we are missing the Maritimes, big time.  As we were coming through Nova Scotia all the fields were full of beautiful yellow and purple flowers.....it was so pretty.  As we are continuing west, we are beginning to notice that the leaves are changing, Fall is on it's way.

Linda,

We will be getting on #50 through Nevada heading west, then on #80 going into Reno.  There is a very nice campground we like in Sparks, NV outside of Reno and Tim hopes to get the coach washed before we head down #395.  Now all this is contingent on the weather in Nevada.  If it is hot, then we'll stay north, go to Oregon via #20 and catch the #395 going south.  There is also a very nice campground in Likely, CA that we like; then ending up in Reno, NV.  Either way we go we should be in Reno roughly on the 17th & 18th of Sept.  Any chance you'll be nearby?

At the moment we are about 120 miles east of Regina, SK at a "funky" little campground.  We are in trees, but the Motosat zipped right through a hole inbetween a couple of them.  However, the DirectTv satellite couldn't find a clear sight.  Tomorrow we plan to go to Regina, then head back into the States either on Wednesday or Thursday.

Mariekie....got your email, thanks for the help!

Marsha~

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom