EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Heading to Canada  (Read 106224 times)

Marc L

• ---
Re: Heading to Canada
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2009, 09:23:35 PM »
Which campground is that Marsha?

BTW be sure not to bypass Ottawa when you leave Niagara. A very nice city with some interesting architecture and sights.

I agree with Tom.  If you have time and are interested, go for a toured visit of the Parliament (parle is french for talk and ment is french for lie).  They have daily tours.

In all the large cities I visited East of Toronto (including), I'd have to say Ottawa was the friendliest place I ever visited.  

Marc...
Marc...

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #91 on: June 15, 2009, 09:38:39 PM »
Marc,

Thanks for the recommendations, I've copied them down.  Yesterday, I saw (didn't eat yet) a dish of pontain.  I must admit, it looked a bit rich, but I'm gonna try one when we get into Quebec.  The one I saw was at "Harvey's hamburger place.  I thought I'd wait for an authentic one from Quebec.   :D

Marsha~
2017 Heartland Mallard IDM231 Travel Trailer....Small but mighty.

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #92 on: June 15, 2009, 09:40:18 PM »
Hi Martha,

If you are going to the Maritimes from Ontario/Québec and going back the same way.  I suggest when you drive across NB that one way you drive along the Trans-Canada highway (route 2).  But on the way back, from Moncton, take route 15 to Shédiac (Ed's summer spot), route to Campbelton, go across in Québec.  Route 132 from Campbelton to Mont-Joli and drive back along the St-Lawrence to Québec city and on your way home.  On any of these roads, if you have time, take the scenic route instead of the highway.

That way, you get to see 80% of New Brunswick on the same trip, and about the same distance.

Marc...

PS.  When you are in Québec, it's pronounced kay-beck if you did not know.  They will know you're a tourist if you say queue-beck

Marc...

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #93 on: June 15, 2009, 09:43:46 PM »
Marc,

Thanks for the recommendations, I've copied them down.  Yesterday, I saw (didn't eat yet) a dish of pontain.  I must admit, it looked a bit rich, but I'm gonna try one when we get into Quebec.  The one I saw was at "Harvey's hamburger place.  I thought I'd wait for an authentic one from Quebec.   :D

Marsha~

Martha, if you are going to try a poutine, wait in Québec city and go to Asthon.  It's fat and greasy fast food, but they are the tastiest I've tried.  There's one on the Grande Allée just outside Vieux Québec probably 1000 feet from "Les portes St-Louis" (St-Louis' doors), one of the two major entrances to Vieux Québec.

Marc...
Marc...

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #94 on: June 15, 2009, 09:51:40 PM »
Where did  you guys stay when you were in Qubec?

I believe it was the Quebec KOA. A relatively easy drive to Old Quebec City and some of the other attractions that have been mentioned.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #95 on: June 15, 2009, 09:51:53 PM »
Marc,

We'll be sure and look at your routing suggestion.  Right now I can't remember which way we are going.  All I know is that we are not doubling back on the same highway at any point.

Thanks for the hint on how to pronounce Quebec.  I would have certainly called it Queue-beck or more likely Quaa beck.  

Say, if you ever travel in the deep south of the US, I can help you with proper pronunciations like: Louisville, KY.  It's pronounced Lou a vull, instead of Loo ee ville   ;D

Seriously, I sure appreciate your help.  

Marsha~

Tom

• Administrator
  • ---
    • RV Forum web site
« Reply #96 on: June 15, 2009, 09:54:41 PM »
When you are in Québec, it's pronounced kay-beck

Marc, I thought it was pronounced ke-beck, or at least that's how it sounded to my ear.
Tom.  Need help? Click the Help button in the toolbar above.

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #97 on: June 15, 2009, 10:03:59 PM »
Marc, I thought it was pronounced ke-beck, or at least that's how it sounded to my ear.

Well Tom, I'm not too good with phonetics.  I read yours the same way I read mine (or close).  The point was more that it's not queue-bec.  But in French the é is pronounced similar to "ay" when it's at the end of a word like kay.  But the anglo-canadians do say ke-bec, which is a lot better then queue-beck.  Regardless, don't sweat it, it's a foreign city with a foreign language, so you're bound to make mistakes.  Same as if I was going to Mexico or Italy.

Marc...
Marc...

momma22smallbears

• ---
« Reply #98 on: June 15, 2009, 11:39:56 PM »
Marsha,
I'm absolutely loving your updates, and feeling jealous that i'm not going too.  Of course, we lived in that area  for 5 years (Kitchener) so are very familiar with the Niagara Region.  I think it is one of the best agricultural areas in Canada, and Toronto is, in my opinion, one of the worst traffic areas! ;)  I love Ottawa, it is so beautiful.  The thing about Ottawa and Quebec is the architecture changes so much you really feel you are in a different country.  I have only been to 2 Canadian provinces so far and it is my dream to spend a year just exploring, especially the maritimes.  I have an absolute fascination with Acadian and Newfoundland history and culture.

By the way, good decision on not buying poutine at Harveys.  The problem is the cheese curds aren't authentic or aren't fresh in most places in Ontario.  Cheese curds were an amazing discovery for my American palate, not to mention finally understanding the nursery rhyme.  You can stop at a fromagerie (cheese making factory) and buy a bag and snack on it.  Just be careful as, if you are not used to much dairy, it can be quite rich (my poor son found out the hard way).

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #99 on: June 15, 2009, 11:50:33 PM »
Regardless, don't sweat it, it's a foreign city with a foreign language, so you're bound to make mistakes. 
Marc...

It is? I thought it was Canada, my grandmother's home and the country both sides of my family came from in the 1800's.

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #100 on: June 16, 2009, 05:08:34 AM »
It is? I thought it was Canada, my grandmother's home and the country both sides of my family came from in the 1800's.

Ok, you got me there.
Marc...

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #101 on: June 16, 2009, 07:00:02 AM »
     Whilst we are on "greasy rich" food, don't forget to stop by the " pizza corner" in downtown Halifax and get yourself a DONAIR.  It is something like a Gyro with a sweet sauce, but it is unique to the Maritimes, and asside from a hart-stopper it is delicious.  It has greek and lebanes roots, and was first sold in a pizza shop about 40 years ago, but it is now a Maritime favourite.
Ed & Donna
Winter-Pinellas Park FL, Summer- Maritime Canada
2000 Coachmen Catalina 34' DP (owned 2004 to 2015)
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #102 on: June 16, 2009, 07:15:43 AM »
Now you got me craving for a Donair.  I can make the sauce quite easy, but I never was able to get the meat right.
Marc...

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #103 on: June 16, 2009, 07:56:02 AM »
So much to see...... so much to eat!!!  Oh boy.

momma22smallbears, the area around Niagara on the Lake reminds us a little of Napa Valley, in California.  Except Napa Valley has large rolling hills and the vineyards are massive.  If I had to choose which to live in, I would like Niagara on the Lake; except for all the winter snows.   :)  I'm anxious to taste those strawberries I'm picking up today.  When we were here in 2006 during August, the fruit and vegetable were to die for. 

In 2006 we crossed Canada from east to west going from Ontario to BC; and even made it up to Prince Edward National Park.  We took the little tow car up to where the road changes north of Prince Edward Park.  I can't remember the name of the type of road, but it's laid on top of the tundra and my engineer husband wanted to see what it looked like.  We were also searching for moose.  We have been all across Canada and have yet to see a moose.  However on that trip up to see the unique roads we saw a black wolf.  He was magnificent and very big.  At first we thought it was a german shepherd dog; but as soon as we got up close, it was definitely a wolf.  BTW, still haven't see a moose in Canada.

Was it you who didn't know what mosquito pants were?  I hope the guys were talking about the same thing I was; but I know them as a lightweight nylon pull on pant.  They can get wet, scrunched and basically take a beating and still look good.  When I wash them, I usually just hang them up to dry.  Some of them have a zipper just above the knee so you can unzip the bottom part and make shorts out of them.  They are very popular with the back country hiking crowd.

I'm trying to figure out how you came up with your name on here.  Are you a teacher by chance?

Marsha~

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #104 on: June 16, 2009, 08:32:31 AM »
     When you hit New Brunswick, you will note most main roads have fences all along the woods, with one way gates, leading into the woods, but not allowing passage toward the road.  Those fences are to stop the deer and moose from wandering onto the roads.  Be very vigilant, particularly at or just after dusk.  We rarely drive in the early evening without seeing one or the other.  While a deer will do considerable damage to your vehicle (either the RV or toad), a moose with its long legs and high center of gravity is deadly if hit at any speed, plus in the spring the bull moose are very aggressive and will charge
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

momma22smallbears

• ---
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2009, 11:39:58 AM »
Here's a question, is there a difference between a moose and a caribou?  I've never seen either outside of a zoo.

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2009, 11:53:54 AM »
A Caribou is a wild raindeer.  Unless you're going to Newfoundland/Labrador or Northern parts of Ontario and Québec, you're not going to see one, except in a zoo.

A moose is larger than a caribou, both are in the deer family.
Marc...

Ned

• Former Staff
  • ---
  • Ned and Lorna are former full time RVers
    • Have you seen Rolling Stock?
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2009, 11:55:03 AM »
Yes, different animals.  Here's a Caribou in Alaska.
-- Ned -- Fulltimer 1997-2013
1997 Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE
2007 GMC Canyon

ruthandken CDN

• ---
    • Five - Just Rolling Down the Road
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2009, 02:23:57 PM »
Here is what a moose looks like MOOSE and here is a caribouCARIBOU  The moose is a much larger and bulkier animal, while IMHO a caribou looks like Santa's reindeer.
Ken & Ruth,
fur kid, Jackson(golden retriever)
2013 Jayco Pinnacle 36 REQS
2011 F350 Ford Super Duty Dually with crew cub
Dogs are not my whole life but they made my life whole.
http://fivejustrolling.blogspot.com/

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2009, 02:33:30 PM »
I usually see moose like this:
Marc...

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2009, 06:45:03 PM »
Momma:

Yes, about 1000-1500 pounds. ;D

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2009, 08:07:17 PM »
Here is what a moose looks like MOOSE and here is a caribouCARIBOU  The moose is a much larger and bulkier animal, while IMHO a caribou looks like Santa's reindeer.

Well Ruth, you are right.  Webster has the following definition for a caribou:
: a large gregarious deer (Rangifer tarandus) of Holarctic taiga and tundra that usually has palmate antlers in both sexes —used especially for one of the New World —called also reindeer 
Marc...

Giles

• ---
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2009, 06:33:37 AM »
Marsha,
I am not familiar with Camping Transit, but it looks good, and the location is excellent. I suggest to go across the river using the ferry at least once, for a great view.
We will be in Niagara in about 3 weeks, and make sure to visit Niagara on the Lakes. Previous recent postings all gave you excellent suggestions.

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2009, 06:51:43 AM »
Giles,

If you have not picked a campground for the Niagara area, we really like N.E.T Camping Resort.  It is very rural but close to all the attractions.  The spaces are large and grassy with good satellite reception.  There are a lot of permanent campers, but it does not detract at all, and people are very friendly.  The is the 2nd time we've stayed here.

You'll like Niagara on the Lake, we visited Monday; and bought some luscious strawberries.

Today we are off towards Quebec and should be there on Friday.  Now I'm getting excited.  I have printed out several list of words including road signs.

Marsha~

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2009, 07:31:26 AM »
Marc...

BernieD

• ---
    • PressurePro
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2009, 07:53:14 AM »
We've also stayed at Camping Transit and found it very enjoyable. Enjoyed the ferry ride across the St. Lawrence and the funicular. Just recommended the park last week to friends traveling to Quebec.
Bernie & Marlene Dobrin
Home is Goodyear, AZ
Missing our Travel Supreme

Giles

• ---
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2009, 05:27:12 PM »
Marsha,
Thank you. N.E.T will be in our agenda.

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2009, 06:55:31 AM »
    Hopefully this gets to you before you hit Quebec, but don't forget to fuel before you leave Ontario, you will find prices more expensive in Quebec and the Maritimes.
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Marsha/CA

• Former Staff
  • ---
« Reply #118 on: June 18, 2009, 10:01:11 PM »
Thanks Ed.  We are already in Montreal.  Luckily the campground host warned us that fuel was higher in Quebec and he suggested a good place to fill up.  However, we did hear that beer is a whole lot cheaper here than in Ontario....it's a trade off, ya know...

Marsha~

Hfx_Cdn

• ---
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2009, 06:21:30 AM »
Do stock up on beer before you hit the Maritimes, it is a lot more expensive again
Ed & Donna
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad

Hosted by Over The Network