Water Heater switch.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizard46

Working in the MH in the shed yesterday and after plugging it back in, I noticed the power panel indicating 15 amps drawing. Oh s---, sure enough the water heater electric switch was still on. Not the first time I've done that after returning from a trip and draining the water system. I'm just supprised that the element has not burned out yet but afraid that it might if I keep doing it.
I don't want to reinvent the wheel on this, but I'm thinking of putting a pressure switch on the water line near the heater that would disconnect the electric when the water pressure is low. Has anyone ever done this? I don't think it would be too difficult.

I'm not sure if there isn't already some idiot-proofing in place...

I de-winterized for the first time in my new rig and forgot to move the hot water bypass valve to fill the tank. (Side note: I hate where they've put it -- behind a panel with four screws below the refrigerator. Previous rig had this valve in the utility compartment where it was almost impossible to overlook). Anyway, I got to my destination and fired up the propane and flipped the switch for the 110. I stepped outside and heard the propane burning, so I figured there'd be very hot water shortly. I went to wash my hands and figured there'd be at least lukewarm water right away because ours has the Motor Aid feature too...

I knew what I'd done as soon as I ran the hot water tap for about 10 seconds. :eek:

Propane torch had kicked off and amp draw wasn't high enough for the 110 to be operating. Turned everything off and got my screwdriver out. It's either been idiot-proofed or I also dodged a bullet as everything seems to work OK.

Anybody know for certain one way or another if it's already protected?

No protection that I know of, or at least none that Atwood or Suburban documents. The propane takes quite awhile to cause any damage but the electric element could go quickly. Maybe they have improved the element material so that it can run hot in the air longer than the older ones (which used to go up in a heartbeat).  Afterall, hair dryers & electric heaters work fine in air, so its mostly a matter of the quality of the element used. 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom