Be Careful buying Goodyear tires

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art In Mobile

John you may move this. I put it here as my Winnebago came with Goodyear tires.               
I have bought Goodyear all my life. Now they have a new policy at the store where I bought just two 15 inch tires for the Jeep. Now without asking or explaining they tack on an extended warranty for each tire. That was 27 dollars for just two 15 inch Jeep tires. When I got home and read the fine print (yes that I had signed for as I had in all the other years buying Goodyear tires with out the added extended warranty being tacked on) I went back to have it corrected. I never buy any extended warranty?s. The salesperson said I should have read the invoice first! Well up till now I never had Goodyear pull something like this.  Some of us may have other protection on road call service and don?t need two policies . Be careful unless you want it or need it. I am glad I know about this before I get RV tires as this would add about 10 percent to the cost. I am telling this as this practice may spread, so if you want the extended warranty no problem, but you better ask in case you don?t. Funny thing, they no longer make the Goodyear Regatta tires, now the call the replacement tires Integrity! Somehow Integrity seems to be missing. I now will shop around more. Art

Was that a Goodyear policy or a store policy?  The store may have added the same item for any brand of tire you purchased.

This sounds more like a store policy than a Goodyear policy.  If it were me I would write a letter to the BBB and send a copy of the letter to Goodyear.

Wonder if this was a Discount Tire store? If so I would never turn it down, as it entitles you to a free replacement tire no matter what. I've had 3 33x10.50x15 Goodyear ATkos replaced for just the cost of a new certificate/warranty. They sell for $160+ each and all were damaged off roading.

Goodyear stores can be either Goodyear corporate stores or independent operators.  Having recently bought tires from a Goodyear corporate store there was never any question about compulsory extended warranty, in fact the corporate store matched the price for the same tires from an independent retiailer in order not to lose the business.

It would be interesting to know if this was a store policy or perhaps even an over zealous employee trying to pad his commission.

We just bought new Yokohama tires for the truck from Discount Tire and they offered a replacement warranty for the tires.  Free replacement for any reason during the life of the tire.  This is independent of the tire manufacturer, it's a Discount Tire warranty and they've offered it for 30 years (according to the web site information).  Like any other extended warranty, it's up the to individual to determine the value of the warranty in each case.

I agree that a letter to the BBB is in order. I would also call the Attorney General of the state, and Goodyear Corporate. I would not stand for such trickery. You did not ask for an extended warranty, you asked for a couple of tires. You were probably quoted the price of the tires mounting and balance. Even if not, it isn't right and you should be made whole. Don't stand for it....

This was a Goodyear Auto Service center. It is a pro-rated thing for the life of the original thread. Not a new tire replacement for life. I do not know if it is just that stores policy. Some folks may want it. I am only giving a heads up for folks that do not want it. Art

in addition to my previous post I want to add that; I would not be considering the quality of the warranty or any such aspect. My concern would rest solely on the principle of the trickery. Whether the salesperson quoted or not, and whether the quote included the cost of warranty or the warranty was tacked on later. Of course the "included" quote would be more arguable for someone not questioning the final price. If there wasn't any quote then it may be a bit more of a point for debate on the side of the store. But making a stink would probably be all that was needed, and if not, then any future business is lost.

It's not just a Goodyear thing - I've seen all kinds of "Automatic" add-ons in tire shops. Road hazard warranties, lifetime rotation, lifetime balancing, siping, etc.  I have become accustomed to checking tire repair or purchase work order and invoices VERY carefully. Once in awhile you get a very good deal on something, but more often they just increase the bottom line for the seller.

I replaced the OEM tires on our XTerra a number of years ago with Bridgestone Duelers at Discount. Because of the off roading we were planning, I took the extended warranty. As it turned out, it paid dividends because Discount bases the warranty on odometer readings. Since we towed the car extensively, the odometer mileage when the tires wore out was well within the warranty range and we got a new set of $160 each tires for about the $100 cost of new warranty certificates.

BernieD said:
I replaced the OEM tires on our XTerra a number of years ago with Bridgestone Duelers at Discount. Because of the off roading we were planning, I took the extended warranty. As it turned out, it paid dividends because Discount bases the warranty on odometer readings. Since we towed the car extensively, the odometer mileage when the tires wore out was well within the warranty range and we got a new set of $160 each tires for about the $100 cost of new warranty certificates.
this one should be moved to the secret forum before the retailer finds out... lol

We had a similar thing happen at Camping  World when we purchased a new awning.  At a McDonalds my wife asked for extra tarter sauce and was charged  additional, but we were not told.  I guess you have to look closely where ever you go.

Must be a store thing as I just bought 6 new G670's and was never even asked about a warrenty. It was at an independate tire center that had to order the tires. They even made sure of the date codes when they got them in before the even called me.

Your experience is definately NOT a Goodyear Goodyear Company corporate policy.  I bought a set of 4 tires for our 04 Jeep Wrangler last fall, and another set of 4 tires for our Ford Expedition less than 3 weeks ago.  Both times I was asked whether or not I wanted to purchase an extended warranty.   In both cases I declined. 

I think someone is trying to boost sales dollar figures by adding the warranties and claiming "It's Company Policy".  Just as a side note, ALL GOODYEAR TIRES ARE GAURANTEED TO BE FREE OF MANUFACTURING DEFECTS FOR THE LIFE OF THE TREAD.    It's prorated depending on the percentage of tread left when the "defect" occours.  This is not a road hazard warranty so damaging a tire by running over debris in the road is not covered.

Back
Top Bottom