Satellite cable connections

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
T

Tjones

We are the proud owners of a new Gulfstream Innsbruck 298DBS.  We are also new the RVing.  I have learned a lot from lurking around on this site and so far have been able to handle, figure out all that has come up.  Today though, when trying to hook up my Direct TV dish I found a question to pose to everybody.  My trailer has coax jack on the outside to attach an external antenna or cable hook up.  When trying to run my satellite cable thru this port I cannot get the receiver/signal meter to function.  When I attach directly into the receiver, everything works...There is also an auxiliary jack on the door/awning side of the trailer that I am sure is just for attachment of an outside tv, etc.  Any ideas as to why I cannot attach the satellite coax to the cable input jack and make it work?  Will I have to install a 2nd outside jack and run coax inside the trailer to the tv location just for direct tv?  I will call dealership tomorrow to ask also, but I wanted to see if anybody had any suggestions 1st.

Thanks,

Tony J.

I think I found my answer.  After looking at some information from some other sources I believe that my outside cable connection will not work as wired from factory due to placement of splitters, amplifiers, etc.  It looks like I will run satellite cable in through an external location to the t.v.  I would hate to have to locate all the internal wiring, etc to make any major changes.

T.

You may be able to do as you wish with a set of Duplexers.  One duplexer would go on one end of the cable the second on the other.  The cable that presently conect to the inside end of the cable would be connected to the connector labled TV the cable to your TV Sat receiver on the other end the Sat cable should be connected to the connector on the duplexer labled Sat.

I don't know your ride but in mine there is a nice Wineguard box which distributes the TV, VCR, DVD and the like signals to wherever I want to watch, that way my wife can watch a movie and I can watch another, or one of us can watch one show, and the other another.

The external jack is wired to the back of this box

In another compartment are two wires  "Sattalite in" and "out" nothign is connected to one end, the Wineguard box is on the other end of the "out" cable,  (The In cable runs up to the roof and is burried there in a specific place installers are supposed to know about)

Each maker does it differently... The cable from the receiver to the antenna must be a direct run, no splitters, or combiners allowed, Joiners (where you join two lengths of cable together) which includes all "wall jacks" are allowed, but only if they run direct to the unit.  There is one distribution system that is allowed, but it is kind of rare, called "tap-a-line" i've not seen one in,,, oh 30 years or so

If there is a splitter in the cable, it will block the DC voltage needed to power and control the LNB on the satellite antenna.  I was able to remove a splitter and connect one of my outside coaxial connections directly to my satellite receiver.  I would also avoid any switches in the cable to the antenna also.  It may be simpler to just run a new cable.

The  duplexer I use allows the 18 volts to pass on the side labled Sat but not the other side.  I have been using this setup for several years now.  Bought the dublexers at QZ as I recall.  Cna you imagine that. ;D ;D

The duplexer allows the combination and separation of satellite signals and antenna signals on the same cable.  As Ned pointed out the satellite signal is special in that it not only needs a wire to send a signal to your satellite receiver, but also to send voltage signals back to the lnb in order to change channels etc.  The cable TV inputs are the same one direction signals as regular TV antenna signals,  The problem Tjones was having was that his setup for cable tv input contained a switch in the circuit that got in the way of the two way signal required for satellite.  When I ran into this problem I went the route Ned suggested and used a separate wiring for my satellite TV.  the other solution is more complicated (and expensive) but is what Ron is doing.

OK.  Now more ignorance to reveal.  We just bought a bigger 5th wheel, Cedar Creek, and the satellite will work in the living room, but not in the bedroom.  How do I accomplish getting the satellite signal to the TV in the bedroom?  Is this a dealer job?

cowboy49 said:
I've gotta show my ignorance.? What is a "duplexer"?

This site offers tutorials on a lot of things; you may want to look through it.

http://www.hometech.com/learn/index.html

Tjones said:
I think I found my answer.? After looking at some information from some other sources I believe that my outside cable connection will not work as wired from factory due to placement of splitters, amplifiers, etc.? It looks like I will run satellite cable in through an external location to the t.v.? I would hate to have to locate all the internal wiring, etc to make any major changes.

Most RVs have a signal booster located somewhere near the TV. That's most likely the culprit. It's in that location so you can turn it on or off -- so it is usually easy to find. In the 4 RVs that I've owned, the problem you mention is solved by simply bypassing the booster vs. rewiring. The only thing one loses is the ability to boost the bat wing local TV signal. It is not needed for cable or satellite TV. You cannot just turn it off -- because the problem mentioned about splitters still applies within the unit. Perhaps an A/B switch would allow you to bypass the booster or continue through it if you have need for local TV via the bat wing antenna. Haven't tried as I have little need for bat wing input.

Bottom line, it's very nice to hook up to an external Satellite dish "or" park cable via the factory installed outlet on the outside of the rig and have to mess around with rewiring.

cowboy49 said:
OK.? Now more ignorance to reveal.? We just bought a bigger 5th wheel, Cedar Creek, and the satellite will work in the living room, but not in the bedroom.? How do I accomplish getting the satellite signal to the TV in the bedroom?? Is this a dealer job?

The signal booster may be causing that just as it causes the signal from the outside connection to not work for satellite. Disconnect the line comming from the booster to the bedroom and connect it via a spitter to the cable that goes from satellite box to the front TV. Ususally there is a line-in to the booster from the bat wing antenna -- then two outlets, one to the front TV and one to the bedroom outlet. That later line may be split if other outlets are present -- such as on my rig there is an outside entertainment center. Once the booster is out of the line, it just a bunch of cables between components.

Back
Top Bottom