Applying Sidewall to Roof Sealant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LK23

I found a good method to apply the sidewall to roof sealant (thermoplastic sealant like NuFlex 640 or Stone Mason Gutter sealant) and thought others could use this method as well.

1.  Clean the area above the side wall gutter with denatured alcohol.  Remove as much of the old sealant as necessary.  Note:  The new sealant will stick to the old thermoplastic sealant if clean.  However, there must be no silicone.  If there is silicone, it has to be completely removed before the thermoplastic sealant can be applied.

2.  Run a bead of the thermoplastic sealant in the channel above the gutter where the curved fiberglass on the roof meets the gutter.  This sealant dries quickly so do only 10 to 12 inches at a time.

3.  Use a caulking tool dipped in mineral spirits to smooth the sealant so that it fills the valley above the gutter.  I purchased the red caulking tool at Home Depot.  The one that doubles as a cap for the caulk tube.  Using this tool gave me an approximately 1/8 inch caulk bead in the valley.  Previously, the person doing the caulking had used their finger to smooth the caulk and it didn't leave enough caulk in the valley.  And, it cracked prematurely.  The finished product looks very good.  Time will tell how well it lasts.

This method was fairly easy and fast.  I was able to do it while sitting on top of the roof and caulked about 20 feet in less than an hour.  I should report that I have a back injury and paid dearly for all that bending the following day.

LK23 said:
I should report that I have a back injury and paid dearly for all that bending the following day.

Oh boy - that's what I'm now fearing  ;D  Just in the last few years I've noticed my brain is not synchronized with body capabilities!  Thanks for the informative post Rex!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom