What would be the most we could tow with our Van?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommyofour

We have a GMC Safari van with AWD.  It seats 8 and with 6 in our family we need the space so we can't use a truck.

My husband wants a trailer.  The solid kind you pull fully enclosed.  He says we couldn't get a huge one but I would forsure need one that would sleep 6 minimum.

I personally was raised tenting and I loved our old 74 Lionel tent trailer yes it was old and didn't' have a bathroom but I did love it.

So for me I'd prefer a tent trailer or a Hybrid where the beds pop out. 

My husband however thinks he would freeze in the hybrid, he said he froze in the tent trailer.  I don't remember that, I remember being very hot in the mornings but I do remember not being able to sleep because it was too hot in a trailer we borrowed and we had to put the air conditioning on.

I saw a tent trailer advertised with a heated mattress?  What is that?  And something called a bed fan. What is that???

To me I'm thinking if we want to go to the mountains a tent trailer would be easier to pull up and down the hills but if we could get a hybrid and do the same thing that would be good too.

I can't comment on the towing capabilities of your van, but I have seen minivans pulling TrailManor rigs.  You need to know the towing specs of your van.

To tell what you are going to be able to pull with that minivan, we need to know its year, engine size, and rear end ratio.  We also need to know what part of the county you are going to tow in, back east or in the mountains of the west.

While you're coming up with that, let me say that mini-vans are not going to pull all that much.  Moreover those 5 passengers themselves will subtract 500-750 lbs from any tow rating.  Even a hybrid trailer is going to be a close call.

More after you come up with the van specs.

Safari's can tow somewhere in the range of 4600-5700 lbs, depending on the exact configuration (engine, axle, etc). That's with just a driver onboard and no gear. After subtracting for the weight of 5 additional passengers and an allowance for some gear and a safety margin, you are definitely talking pop-up (tent camper) or a folding hardwall camper like the Trail Manor (see http://www.trailmanor.com/). If you have the 5700 lb capacity Safari you might manage a small hybrid like the Rockwood Roo. Whether you can sleep 6 in one is something you will have to  decide. A lot of people park the kids outside in a tent for sleeping.

It is the one that can haul 5700, (I asked my husband)  But I think your right, by the time we add us and our junk, a tent trailer might be all we could pull.  And it would be a shame to get something we couldn't take to the mountains or very far.

Thank you!

Vicky

Well, if that 5700 lb tow rating is correct, give yourself a 10% safety factor for van loading and get yourselves a trailer with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 5130 lbs or less.  If you would tow in the Mountain or Pacific West, make that safety factor 20% to allow for altitudes and long, steep grades and keep the trailer GVWR to 4560 lbs or less.

GVWR is the unladen weight of a trailer plus its maximum carrying capacity.

My 21' Palomino Stampede (hybrid) is 3850 lbs dry weight. Loaded with propane, supplies, luggage probably around 4300 lbs. So, some hybrids may be in your weight range as well as the pop-ups.

And as mentioned above, don't overlook the TrailManor.  It is a bit more expensive, but a good lightweight choice that tows very well because it is not a high profile "wall of wind resistance" when being towed.  And as noted also, the ultra-lightweight hybrids can be had with a low GVWR and a considerable amount of space with the beds popped out.  The pop-up (tent trailer) will probably give you the most for your towing, but there are alternatives.  You need to get out there and look around.

From personal experience, don't go too close to your max towing capacity.  I have 5000 lbs tow capacity with an approximate dry weight of 3700lbs as per the brochure (base trailer + options).  We travel light (at least we like to think we do).  Plus, with a family of 6, you will need luggage, dishes, food and gear for 6, so that will add you a considerable amount of weight when compared to my family of 3.

Why can't you get a truck?  Crew cabs that have a full bench (40/60) in the front can seat 6 and with a truck cap or tonneau cover, there is plenty of room for gear.  Another option would be a full size SUV, lots of them sits 8, such as Ford Expedition, GM Subarban/Tahoe.  Full size vans are also an option like the Ford E-Series and the GM Express/Savana.

So depending on your budget, there are tow vehicles out there to accommodate a family of 6 with a greater towing capacity depending on the configuration.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom