Help! Dry camping and generator won't start!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daniel G

Hey, guys! I'm out in the boonies with my new to me 2003 Fleetwood Discovery!  The 7.5 KW Onan won't even attempt to turn over.  Was working fine last night.  I hear what seems to be the fuel pump kicking in but nothing else.  Have checked and cleaned battery cable connections.  Info board says both coach and house batteries are at 12 volts plus.  Coach engine fires right off. This happened suddenly.  What am I missing?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. 

Daniel G

If you have got less than 1/4 tank of gas the generator won't start as a safety feature.

Even if low on fuel the generator should still crank. 

Make sure your house and/or chassis  battery disconnect switch has not been turned on.

Will the generator try to start if the engine is running?

Measure voltage at generator starter connection.

It doesn't matter whether the coach engine is running or not!  It won't crank or turn over.  It's diesel powered if that makes any difference.  I checked the oil yesterday when we headed out and it was full but I wil check again.  Could it be the cable connections at the back of the genset which are located up under the frame.  This unit is located in the nose of the coach since it is a diesel pusher.  I will check the oil level again.  Also, there are no fault codes showing on the genset panel.

Thanks.

Daniel G said:
.......  Could it be the cable connections at the back of the genset which are located up under the frame.  This unit is located in the nose of the coach since it is a diesel pusher. .Thanks.

yes, that's why I suggested checking voltage at the generator starter.

You said you could hear what sounded like a fuel pump. Two questions....how cold is it where you are at and how long are you holding the start switch? If its cold, when you first push the start switch it turns on the pre-heaters. On our 7.5 if its cold when you first push the switch it doesn't appear that nothing is happening. If I keep holding the switch in long enough it will start.

I'm thinking the same as Don - just hold down the start switch and wait. It may take 20-30 seconds if it is cool outside.

If it won't crank, its am electrical or switch problem, not the genset itself.  To eliminate the remote switch as the problem, try the switch that is right on the genset itself - most of them have one.

Even when using the switch on the Genset hold it down for 30 to 40 seconds to give the heaters to warm up.  Please let us know if holding the switch down longer solves the problem.

Sorry I haven't responded sooner.  I don't have computer access at the camp site.  The temperature is 80 degrees so cold weather is not an issue.  I held the switch down on the genset for 30 seconds and nothing changes.  Took the battery cables loose on the back of the generator.  No corrosion and proper voltage.  Read through the owner's manual to no avail.  I appreciate any and all suggestions.  Sounds like we are heading for the service center, huh?

Daniel, since you state that you can reach the cable connections at the generator, is there any way you can 'bridge" (short)  across the gen start solenoid to see if the gen will crank?  It may not be something that you would want to attempt to repair your self, but it could give you some additional information in hand when dealing with the repair facility.

I'm not familiar with the starter and starter circuits on the Onan.

I'm back in town with the unit.  Since I last reported.  The unit will now start but will only run for 5 to 10 minutes.  The service code comes up # 24.  Coolant Temperature Sender Fault.  Controller did not sense temperature change during the first five minutes of operation.  I have a call to the ONAN service center.  Anyone ever had this issue?

Thanks for all your replys.

Never had it happen to me but it makes sense. Either the sensor has failed or the wire broke or came off.  I guess Onan doesn't want to take a chance that the genset might overheat without warning if the sensor isn't working.

>>I'm back in town with the unit.  Since I last reported.  The unit will now start but will only run for 5 to 10 minutes. <<

Two things that can cause that are failed engine temp sensor & broken fan belt....If you have over 1000 hrs on your genset I'm betting on the fan belt...less than that the temp sensor or broken wire to temp sensor.

Either one unless you have a genset on a pull out you will have to drop the genset to remove the engine shroud.

Just wanted to follow up and give the end results.  I dropped the genset out of the coach which was surprisingly easy.  Took about an hour.  Then took the generator to the ONAN dealer in Oklahoma City.  The temperature sensor was bad.  They replaced it for a total cost of less than $200.00 dollars.  Not so bad.  They said this is not a common malfunction but it does happen.  Just my luck. 

Thanks for all of your input.

Back
Top Bottom